Hamer Fan Club Message Center

What Hamer Superstrat?

Peter Studio Custom

Question

Looking for some advice

i have never owned a Floyd Rose guitar and feel like it’s time to add one to my rotation.

i want to stay under 900 preferably way under as I’m not sure they are for me

question to the group is

buy a cheaper import Hamer? Or go with a cheaper USA version like a centaura 

I know many on this board have owned many variations so I’m expecting lots of great opinions and advice

thanks very much!

17 answers to this question

USA Diablos and Centauras should run about $750 or so with case and have Schaller Floyds and Duncan pickups so they shouldn't "need" any upgrades out of the gate.  Any import versions would have cheaper hardware and pickups, and any savings on the purchase would be lost if you upgrade anything imho.  You can't even get into new Charvel MIM for that kind of money with similar features.  Diablos and Centauras are solid values in USA-made shredders.

Assuming you're preference is 25.5" scale, then it mostly depends on pickup configuration:

• If you prefer a traditional superstrat H-S-S layout, then a USA-made Centaura is a good choice.
  • If you prefer a H-H layout, then I recommend looking for a USA-made Diablo (first version) or if you can actually find one, a Centaura 2HB.

These two models were made during the peak production years of Hamer USA, so you'll be able to find one at a reasonable price if you're not too picky about the finish.

1 hour ago, killerteddybear said:

Not on Reverb. Crack pricing applied there!

I checked a few hours ago when I first ran across this question.  I thought I might be able to provide some helpful links.  NOT SO!  You can get a Californian for not much more than what the two Centauras are listed.  

Granite Centaura: $2,033.07

Red Centaura: $2,499.00

Faded Red Sparkle Californian: $1,799

😲

the asking prices on Reverb tend to be a little "optimistic" (should be worth that kind of money, but aren't).  In the last 6 months asking prices have gone through the roof (for example, 2012 PRS DGTs that are closer to the current list price for a new one) on just about everything up there. My MIM EVH Star is worth more than either my Centaura or Diablo, but the Hamers are just better all around.

For the most part imho the Centaura and Diablo models were built to about the same quality standards as the Chaparrals and Californians.  There are a few Diablos out there with one-piece necks iirc but other than that the build quality is typical Hamer. I think the Diablo (like the P90 Specials from the early 90's) were a loss-leader in that they were priced lower in order to get sales volume. I don't think they cost that much less to build than the other shredders.

Dave’s has two for $895 each. I would think they and the Diablo are likely equivalent guitars (assuming same hardware); if that’s the case, it comes down to which pickup configuration is preferred. 

ETA: really like the red sparkle! 

image.jpeg

ETAA: why in the world did I go looking at those?  GAS GAS GAS GAS!  Is that finish factory?  It's sparktacular!  I don't play the guitars I have, yet I find myself coming back to this again and again.  Arrrrrrgg!

On 10/27/2020 at 6:38 PM, killerteddybear said:

Not on Reverb. Crack pricing applied there!

Especially mine! - Although you might be surprised some at some fo the prices realised for a few Centauras I've sold this year - I certainly was (which was good for me) - I guess it depends on the buyer and how much they really want one of the spec you happen to be selling.

Over the years I’ve owned a Diablo, Cali standard and a first year short scale chaparral. I’ve not had the pleasure of owning a centaura. I got rid of the others because I was getting out of floyded guitars. 

that being said, if I were to get another or buy back one of the three I had before, it would be the Diablo hands down. It had the best neck, felt the most solid and I prefer the HH pickup configuration.  Build quality is stellar on any USA Hamer. The Diablo was the “lower end” but that’s because of the lack of frills, not quality. 

diablo, every day of the week for me. 

On 10/27/2020 at 10:38 AM, stonge said:

USA Diablos and Centauras should run about $750 or so with case and have Schaller Floyds and Duncan pickups so they shouldn't "need" any upgrades out of the gate.  Any import versions would have cheaper hardware and pickups, and any savings on the purchase would be lost if you upgrade anything imho.  You can't even get into new Charvel MIM for that kind of money with similar features.  Diablos and Centauras are solid values in USA-made shredders.

Stonge - good to see you still visit this neck of the internet woods, hope all is well with you and the family. Do you and Darc still get together at all? I don't see him around here much either but since we're both into MIDI guitar and whatnot I see him post on the Vguitar forum often.

On 10/28/2020 at 6:24 AM, velorush said:

Dave’s has two for $895 each. I would think they and the Diablo are likely equivalent guitars (assuming same hardware); if that’s the case, it comes down to which pickup configuration is preferred. 

ETA: really like the red sparkle! 

image.jpeg

ETAA: why in the world did I go looking at those?  GAS GAS GAS GAS!  Is that finish factory?  It's sparktacular!  I don't play the guitars I have, yet I find myself coming back to this again and again.  Arrrrrrgg!

I think this body, with the all-maple neck of the the sunburst one that have for sale, would be the stuff.

Archived