Hamer Fan Club Message Center

NEVHD

LucSulla

I had to... and it took a ton of time to hunt down what I wanted that wasn’t inflated to grave robber prices.  

I wanted a Japanese EVH special and scored this. 

I actually needed a guitar with a decked Floyd anyway, at least that’s what I told myself.   Now I have to figure out what to sell, haha.  I’m eye-balling something else that I’m saving for, but I wanted something to commemorate the guy.  

E38F4B3F-5C87-4371-972B-5C3C805F91AF.jpeg

11 minutes ago, LucSulla said:

I had to... and it took a ton of time to hunt down what I wanted that wasn’t inflated to grave robber prices.  

I actually needed a guitar with a decked Floyd anyway, at least that’s what I told myself.   Now I have to figure out what to sell, haha.  I’m eye-balling something else that I’m saving for, but I wanted something to commemorate the guy.  

Congrats, man! Great specs! Love the maple with the black body!

If you don't mind my asking, what do you need the decked Floyd for?

I have struggled mightily with whether or not to snag a EVH striped Charvel or one of the newer (as yet unreleased series included) batch of EVH Striped Strats. In the end, I keep getting held back by two issues: 1) I don't play in VH tribute band  and  2) I don't dig the specs on EVH axes.  Makes a case for if I ever did get good enough to pull off EVH in a tribute or cover band, getting Shane to make me an EVH striped version of my Spitfire model. Until then, it'll just have to be bright green, black and magenta Cheetah print for all 80's hair metal tunes. :P 

22 minutes ago, LucSulla said:

Congrats! Looks killer. 

Those are GREAT guitars! I had one on my bench for a local player not long ago for a pickup swap and wiring mod: neck pickup open w/ push-pull, stacked Vol/Tone on the bridge. Playing acoustically, the guit rang! One of those vibrational things a player feels in their ribcage and I was impressed.

Swiss army knife guitar IMHO. Rock forth!

48 minutes ago, diablo175 said:

Congrats, man! Great specs! Love the maple with the black body!

If you don't mind my asking, what do you need the decked Floyd for?

I have struggled mightily with whether or not to snag a EVH striped Charvel or one of the newer (as yet unreleased series included) batch of EVH Striped Strats. In the end, I keep getting held back by two issues: 1) I don't play in VH tribute band  and  2) I don't dig the specs on EVH axes.  Makes a case for if I ever did get good enough to pull off EVH in a tribute or cover band, getting Shane to make me an EVH striped version of my Spitfire model. Until then, it'll just have to be bright green, black and magenta Cheetah print for all 80's hair metal tunes. :P 

I really prefer dive only overall, but somehow I ended up with all recessed Floyds, aside from the top mount Charvel Custom.  However, it really doesn't set up properly decked either.  You could do it, but you have to get all into the post height, and even then, it won't sit parallel to the body.  It's just not the right guitar for that.  I also am not just in love with trem stops.  My favorite option is to just deck it and leave it at that.  

The reason I wanted one is that there are a lot of 80s shred tunes I want to learn and torture my southern rock band with, and a lot of times, you just need a bar.  Likewise, we already do an instrumental version of "Beat It," and I'd like to get the solo right, but it's never going to happen when I have to set up a guitar to play 1/2 step down to learn one song.  Now I can just tune the Eb whenever I need. 

I'm not much of a Floydist.  For my occasional dive bombs, I don't even have to lock the nut to hold tune.  However, I recognize that the more I use them, the more I will probably want to do in that direction, so I like having the option to get more advanced. 

I'm not coming down on anyone for smoking, but for the love of god, either do it outdoors or just pick a room and don't keep your gear there, at least of you want to sell it someday. I had to clean the hell out of this thing, and the case may air out sometime next century. 

36 minutes ago, LucSulla said:

I'm not coming down on anyone for smoking, but for the love of god, either do it outdoors or just pick a room and don't keep your gear there, at least of you want to sell it someday. I had to clean the hell out of this thing, and the case may air out sometime next century. 

Yeah, that shit's gross. I purchased an oldskool, Peterson bench tuner that smelled AWFUL. The blue rubber casing had a thick layer of brown tar. Took 2 hours of naptha/scrubbing to make it usable.

Uh...it was TOTALLY the chain smoking.

3 hours ago, LucSulla said:

There's no small bit or irony here I feel.  

Unless you buy it was the electric magnetic energy in the air being channeled through a guitar pick that gave EVH cancer and not the chain smoking. 

Yeah, people don’t like to say they really messed themselves up. I saw Zappa say in an interview that he didn’t believe smoking was the cause of his cancer.  Maybe he had metal picks too. 

17 hours ago, RobB said:

Yeah, that shit's gross. I purchased an oldskool, Peterson bench tuner that smelled AWFUL. The blue rubber casing had a thick layer of brown tar. Took 2 hours of naptha/scrubbing to make it usable.

Years ago I bought a Peavey vertical 2x12 cabinet that smelled like smoke for a good two years after I bought it - and that was after giving the Tolex a good cleaning.

I've had two successes with getting rid of cigarette smoke smell: 1. on an acoustic gig bag that was thrown in for free on an eBay purchase of the (seriously) worst guitar I have ever bought (Indian-made "Jackson" with fake lipstick tube pickups).

I hung the gig bag in the attic and forgot about it.  After about three years I found it up there and took it out.  Smell was gone!

Probably terribly harmful to anything like a case or guitar (or cabinet).

2. HFC came to my rescue on a DiMarzio PAF I'd purchased off TGP.  You guys suggested putting it in a container with charcoal.  I did that for a few weeks and the smell was gone.  That might be more relevant to this situation.  Charcoal's pretty cheap this time of year.

13 hours ago, scottcald said:

Yeah, people don’t like to say they really messed themselves up. I saw Zappa say in an interview that he didn’t believe smoking was the cause of his cancer.  Maybe he had metal picks too. 

Well, Zappa's was prostate cancer, so there's a good chance it wasn't.

25 minutes ago, alantig said:

Well, Zappa's was prostate cancer, so there's a good chance it wasn't.

When I saw @scottcald's comment I started to point that out, or pose some regrettable question about where Zappa kept his picks, but then I thought better. 

Your comment was both appropriate and correct, so I'm glad I showed restraint.  😁

22 hours ago, LucSulla said:

OOOF. Definitely take some cleaner to the outside of the case, as a lot of crud can build up in there. Also a vacuum of the case can really help out. I've got a carpet shampooer, and man did that really help get the smoke smell out of my late uncle's car, and that had YEARS of exposure and ash.

I do have one Gibson SG case though that will NOT have that smell out of it, so I had to trash it. I defunkified the SG, but every time I put it back in the case, it would get funkified again.

3 hours ago, tbonesullivan said:

OOOF. Definitely take some cleaner to the outside of the case, as a lot of crud can build up in there. Also a vacuum of the case can really help out. I've got a carpet shampooer, and man did that really help get the smoke smell out of my late uncle's car, and that had YEARS of exposure and ash.

I do have one Gibson SG case though that will NOT have that smell out of it, so I had to trash it. I defunkified the SG, but every time I put it back in the case, it would get funkified again.

image.png.85d8c05148b3a1df69e6e2c83b031944.png

Archived