Hamer Fan Club Message Center

HBD Grace Slick - 81

JGale

4 minutes ago, Ed Rechts said:

As tedious as things are getting around here, I approve this shit-stirring post

Surprising.  You normally don't go in for that sort of thing.

One of the coolest spot gigs I ever had was for Starship. 

We had them as headliners at UTM (UT's @ school in NW Tennessee) with local (fantastic) band The Windows and Alcatraz opening (this was spring of 1986).  Starship's contract came with tons of nitpicky stuff we'd never seen before (e.g., each step up to the stage must have its own light of certain dimensions placed in the center (so we had to build that...)).  Campus regulars like Cheap Trick, 38 Special and Molly Hatchet were pretty simple by comparison.  

Their stage setup had a twenty-foot triangular scaffold on each side, approximately mid-stage.  They were connected with ironwork that went across the stage at the 20 ft. height.  My follow spot was on that ironwork, about ten feet into the stage (another guy was stage left in a symmetrical position).  I spent the entire set shooting the band from that position in a swiveling seat that reminded me of the turret seat in the Millennium Falcon (yes, I'm a geek).  Their lighting guy had this incredibly thick English accent; with that and the stage volume of the band, getting the shots required incredible concentration.

Great memory.  I wasn't particularly a fan, but it was a great show (outstanding musicianship) and I did enjoy the times they dipped into their back catalog.

She does look to have taken care of herself, and really looks good for 81. Many people far younger look like total hell, which is surprising considering the alcohol problems she had, which usually take a pretty hefty toll.

HBD to a rock legend!

2 hours ago, Steve Haynie said:

I like Grace Slick's singing because she sounds like she couldn't find a pitch with a catcher's mitt...

Fixed that for ya, Steve.

It's not nearly as common in Western music, where it's usually one syllable, one note, maybe two.  It's also just that "smear" right through notes without any real rhythm to it. I had to listen to some non-western music as part of my music degree, and it can be quite different.

Archived