Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Songs that Changed Music: Pretenders - Brass In Pocket

velorush

Hope you find this as interesting as did I: 

Really enjoyed the breakdown of the guitar and bass at the first of the video. I never paid that much attention and am glad this popped up on my YouTube feed.

Ill check this out after work today.  Always liked the bass line of this song.  Really well structured and performed, and especially liked how he led up to that low 'E' in the "...I'm special" parts.

My benchmark bass line brilliance from the pop side in those times is 'Tempted' by Squeeze.   Freaking genius.

1 hour ago, The Shark said:

Without being political, I hear that song five days a week.  And I love it.

I think (reading between the lines) you mean “My City Was Gone,” but I could be wrong... 😷

I went a lockdown induced punk/new wave feeding frenzy this spring, revisiting old faves like sex pistols/ramones/devo/police/telefones and esp the pretenders 1st 2 albums;

12 hours ago, Brooks said:

I went a lockdown induced punk/new wave feeding frenzy this spring, revisiting old faves like sex pistols/ramones/devo/police/telefones and esp the pretenders 1st 2 albums;

I just finished reading Chrissie Hynde's autobiography, Reckless, My Life as a Pretender. I highly recommend it. From her descriptions of hanging out backstage at the Akron and Cleveland concert scenes in the 60s, to her life in Europe leading up to the formation of the Pretenders, this girl got around. The book covers her life up through the first two Pretenders albums. I too have been listening to those albums recently.

Edited to add: Chrissie hung out with lots of the band members of the bands you mentioned before the Pretenders original lineup solidified. There's lots of cool pictures in the book of many of those band members.

On 11/3/2020 at 8:30 AM, BruceM said:

I just finished reading Chrissie Hynde's autobiography, Reckless, My Life as a Pretender. 

Yeah, me too. That's what sent me down the punk/new wave rabbit hole.

On 10/30/2020 at 12:12 PM, velorush said:

Hope you find this as interesting as did I: 

Really enjoyed the breakdown of the guitar and bass at the first of the video. I never paid that much attention and am glad this popped up on my YouTube feed.

Thanks for sharing!

On 11/3/2020 at 7:30 AM, BruceM said:

I just finished reading Chrissie Hynde's autobiography, Reckless, My Life as a Pretender. I highly recommend it.

I bought the autobiography on CD. I think I've listened to it three times.

Archived