Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Captain obvious - Fulltone OCD

sonic1974

I had one of these a few years back, for whatever reason in my "quest for tone" got rid of it. 

Picked up another, I think it's the latest version? 

Wow! What a flat out great pedal. So versatile, you can get a lot of different flavours with it. With the gain mid-way, a great sound. I also have been experimenting with turning the gain way down, the volume up and the tone up, gets a really cool old school gritty sound. 

Love it when purchases work out. So now I'm using my Barber Tone Pump eq and the OCD together, they combine really well together. 

Rediscovering a pedal is great, we all get bored and move on. Sometimes we just need to come back to home base. I just broke out a couple of Saucy Boxes yesterday and slammed the front end of a new cast off I just brought in. It was like running into an old friend. 

1 hour ago, killerteddybear said:

This is why I don't sell pedals. Someday...

That is why I don't sell guitars.....

19 hours ago, sonic1974 said:

I see the saucy box around but never tried one, what are they like Bubs? 

After using it with a bunch of amps, I have a pretty clear perspective of what it does and doesn't do well. IF you really like that sound of your amp and you want to boost the signal and add a touch of grit its works wonders. If you have a gainy amp and you want to add some fatness to your leads of just boost what you already have its is amazing there too. If you are running a completely clean amp, and want it to have that at the edge of breakup tone with the ability to stack other pedals with it, this pedal will do that. 

What it is not is a high gain pedal, or distortion. They are stripped down version of the Pork Loin, but IMHO better. It is quieter, the PL can have a loud floor noise at some settings. They use the stacked concentric pot like a Klon, but Tripps says that is where the similarities stop. 

Having had a Saucy, Saucy HC, Conspiracy Theory, Soul Food, and the Sugar Drive in house at the same time they are all different and have their own thing. The main one being the standard Saucy is NOT hard clipping like the rest and it allows for a more transparent boost to the signal. I feel the Soul Food and the Conspiracy Theory were the best SOLO boosts of the bunch and the Sugar Drive is great if you want small, the tone is more refined and clear than the Soul Food. 

I am always looking for the HC's, nobody took to them, Pro Guitar Shop literally were selling the last of the stock for $60.00 each before they went out of business. The HC is almost like a Klon and a Rat had a baby. I'm always looking for them, but i'm not paying for what most people are asking. 

6 hours ago, bubs_42 said:

After using it with a bunch of amps, I have a pretty clear perspective of what it does and doesn't do well. IF you really like that sound of your amp and you want to boost the signal and add a touch of grit its works wonders. If you have a gainy amp and you want to add some fatness to your leads of just boost what you already have its is amazing there too. If you are running a completely clean amp, and want it to have that at the edge of breakup tone with the ability to stack other pedals with it, this pedal will do that. 

What it is not is a high gain pedal, or distortion. They are stripped down version of the Pork Loin, but IMHO better. It is quieter, the PL can have a loud floor noise at some settings. They use the stacked concentric pot like a Klon, but Tripps says that is where the similarities stop. 

Having had a Saucy, Saucy HC, Conspiracy Theory, Soul Food, and the Sugar Drive in house at the same time they are all different and have their own thing. The main one being the standard Saucy is NOT hard clipping like the rest and it allows for a more transparent boost to the signal. I feel the Soul Food and the Conspiracy Theory were the best SOLO boosts of the bunch and the Sugar Drive is great if you want small, the tone is more refined and clear than the Soul Food. 

I am always looking for the HC's, nobody took to them, Pro Guitar Shop literally were selling the last of the stock for $60.00 each before they went out of business. The HC is almost like a Klon and a Rat had a baby. I'm always looking for them, but i'm not paying for what most people are asking. 

Thanks for the feedback! 

I thought the HC and sugar drive were straight up Klones? It's hard to keep track! ha

5 minutes ago, sonic1974 said:

It's hard to keep track! ha

You could try a different one every day for a year and not hit them all. Bubs is living proof.

4 minutes ago, hamerhead said:

You could try a different one every day for a year and not hit them all. Bubs is living proof.

Yeah, for sure! I think we could apply the term OCD to him. :)

(just kidding you Bubs, I suffer the same tendencies.)

No worries, you have to have some thick skin to hang here. The Sugar is a Klon only smaller. The HC is Hard Clipping like the Klon but with NO buffer. I think it is a little looser and the attack is softer than a Klon/Klones. The HC is great with a strat or a tele, but may get a little mushy with a humbucker when the gain is up or switching to the neck pickup. 

3 hours ago, sonic1974 said:

Yeah, for sure! I think we could apply the term OCD to him. :)

(just kidding you Bubs, I suffer the same tendencies.)

Fulltone Pedals really IS the company for OCD pedal collectors. They aren't content to sit on their laurels, and continue to refine their designs, which means that if you TRULY love the O.C.D., you need to hunt down EVERY VERSION, as well as a variable voltage power supply so you can try it out at 9V, 18V, and anything in between.

Then there are the MANY versions of the Fulldrive pedal, including the Fulldrive 1, the Fulldrive 2, the Fulldrive 2 MOSFET, the Fulldrive 2 V2, and the Fulldrive 3!!! I may have missed a few.

That said, I have an O.C.D. not a V2, I have no idea which version because I'm lazy, but it sounds great.  It doesn't actually say on the inside, but it was made about 3 months before V2 came out.

22 hours ago, tbonesullivan said:

Fulltone Pedals really IS the company for OCD pedal collectors. They aren't content to sit on their laurels, and continue to refine their designs, which means that if you TRULY love the O.C.D., you need to hunt down EVERY VERSION, as well as a variable voltage power supply so you can try it out at 9V, 18V, and anything in between.

It's a great marketing strategy. Fanbois can be very gullible.

22 hours ago, hamerhead said:

I believe they were up to 1.7 before the 2.0s came out.

I read something about a 1.8?? But I'm pretty sure mine is just a 1.7. The V2 was a BIG change, to the "enhanced" bypass and True bypass. They really worked to see what effect the buffered bypass pedals had, and tried to find something that was the best of both worlds.

20 hours ago, RobB said:

It's a great marketing strategy. Fanbois can be very gullible.

Well, at least their is a "real" difference. I can't for the life of me see why some people have a ton of nearly identical guitars. I feel bad having two hamer archtops with the same pickup configuration.

There is some guy on the Mesa Boogie Facebook page who seems to be after EVERY type of Mark II & Mk III amplifier with a Graphic EQ. He found some person who had a Mk III STILL IN THE ORIGINAL BOX.

Archived