Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Anyone dig Fanos

polara

It's been a long year and with no gigs, no travel, and looking at the same four walls day after day, As a diversion, I have been selling and buying stuff like crazy as my income is pretty stable. Actually more selling. Anyway, I spotted an Alt de Facto TC6 at a relatively cheap price and decided what the hell, I can flip it and break even or even make fiddy bucks.

Came in the case with paperwork, and a little detective work found it had been originally sold by Humbucker Music, who seem to have a good relationship with Fano and apparently are buddies with Dennis. Their ad when it was new said "Entirely handmade by Dennis Fano," and as it has no "Made in" label, and the build and relic quality are stunning, it probably was made by Dennis, 2011.

Anyway, it is jaw-droppingly, mind-blowing great. As in, I forgot about my old MotorAve or any Hamers after 30 minutes with this thing. Missus Polara, after one rehearsal, said it was definitely the best-sounding guitar I'd ever had.

Yeah, with the Supertrons it is not a metal machine. Yeah, the relic thing is... not my thing but I can deal with it. But why the heck do some guitars take ash + maple + pickups anyone can buy, and they come out wow? The neck pocket is super-precise, the body is one piece, the neck is one piece, the finish is very thin and the guitar is exceptionally light, so I guess it's just "pick really good wood, let it dry, cut it precisely, choose appropriate parts, and you're there."

Oh, I really dig the Tonestyler, too.

IMG_1820.jpeg

IMG_1821.jpeg

IMG_1822.jpeg

IMG_1823.jpeg

Man, I've been stuck at home watching TV much too much this year...when you wrote "Fanos", I thought "Thanos".  :rolleyes: ;)

Cool looking guitar!  I dunno if it's a trick on my eyes from the photo angle, but is the body at the neck joint thinner than, say, your average bolt-neck Fender body?  How's the weight?  If you wanna add a description of it's acoustic tone, that'd be OK too. :lol:

Ha ha. It’s very light. My guess-o-meter says seven pounds. The body is normal thickness and is a straight up slab. The neck is pretty beefy and 1-11/16 wide at the nut like a Gibson and the fretboard edges are rolled, so with the broken in feel it’s easy to play. And honestly it sounds good unplugged. I might be smoking Gear Page here, but in my experience if a guitar is loud and sounds “good” unplugged it’s more likely to sound good plugged in. Of course that’s for the clean and crunch sounds I live in. I think in a high-gain situation it might be better to be less resonant. 

21 hours ago, polara said:

Came in the case with paperwork, and a little detective work found it had been originally sold by Humbucker Music, who seem to have a good relationship with Fano and apparently are buddies with Dennis. Their ad when it was new said "Entirely handmade by Dennis Fano," and as it has no "Made in" label, and the build and relic quality are stunning, it probably was made by Dennis, 2011.

Screen Shot 2020-11-05 at 12.04.42 PM.png

2 minutes ago, LucSulla said:

I don't know which guitars are beat up, cheap guitars and which guitars are expensive guitars dressed up as beat up, cheap guitars anymore. 

The price tag can usually clear up any confusion.

1 minute ago, kizanski said:

The price tag can usually clear up any confusion.

I actually had to read the OP before I knew exactly what flavor of thread derailing post I was about to make.   That kind of concentration makes my head hurt.

When I first looked at the pics, I wasn't sure if this was a thread about a pawn shop find or something booteek, which sounds like I'm throwing shade here.  However, I'm being 100% honest. 

2 minutes ago, LucSulla said:

When I first looked at the pics, I wasn't sure if this was a thread about a pawn shop find or something booteek, which sounds like I'm throwing shade here.  However, I'm being 100% honest. 

Attaining that pawn shop look ain't cheap!

13 hours ago, crunchee said:

Man, I've been stuck at home watching TV much too much this year...when you wrote "Fanos", I thought "Thanos".  :rolleyes: ;)

Cool looking guitar!  I dunno if it's a trick on my eyes from the photo angle, but is the body at the neck joint thinner than, say, your average bolt-neck Fender body?  How's the weight?  If you wanna add a description of it's acoustic tone, that'd be OK too. :lol:

That's ok.  I thought of Manos: The Hands of Fate from MST3K - 

1 hour ago, LucSulla said:

I actually had to read the OP before I knew exactly what flavor of thread derailing post I was about to make.   That kind of concentration makes my head hurt.

I'm impressed with the "quality" (this is really Twilight Zone land here) of the pawn shop treatment on this guitar. Apparently his vision (again, Twilight Zone) is that Fano guitars are like artifacts from an alternate timeline, in which a company called Fano was making these classic looking instruments in the 40s, 50s, and 60s. I can see where he's coming from, I guess. I have a 1950 Gibson and a 1935 Biltmore and... it holds up, looking and playing like it belongs with those two genuine relics.

I would have preferred Dennis just spray it and leave it alone, as it's a nice burst and a thin finish. But on the positive side, no matter what happens to it, I can sell it as "mint."

12 minutes ago, polara said:

...Fano guitars are like artifacts from an alternate timeline, in which a company called Fano was making these classic looking instruments in the 40s, 50s, and 60s.

I think you're thinking of Thanos. 

89125115b0e10b94e3378d484712450727-25-th

I have always wanted a GF6. I have played a few. They are definitely well made and play wonderfully. I never pulled the trigger on one because I am not a fan of relic'ing and it looks like the only options are Lightly Relic'ed or Heavy Relic'ed. For that kind of money, I want a pristine finish so I can do the Relic'ing myself. 

1 hour ago, sixesandsevens said:

That's ok.  I thought of Manos: The Hands of Fate from MST3K - 

Anyone else watching the Netflix reboot?  I've watched I think the first couple of episodes. 

The kids caught me watching it and figured out where I learned to "ruin everything they watch" making quips about... well... everything they watch, MST3K-style! 🤪

Come close to getting an SP6 a couple times, but the one that got away was a candy apple red RB6 with P90s,  that thing was fantastic. Shoulda gabbed it when I had the chance. 

Congrats!

I’m one of those oddballs who like Super’Trons, I guess.  Matthew Sweet has been playing them for a decade, which has to set some sort of record for the guy who used to switch brands more than Paul Stanley or Rudy Sarzo.

17 hours ago, cmatthes said:

Matthew Sweet has been playing them for a decade, which has to set some sort of record for the guy who used to switch brands more than Paul Stanley or Rudy Sarzo.

Saw MS last year with Dream Syndicate. He had some huge, Tom Anderson monstrosity with a Jazz Master trem. Looked like a custom guitar.

Archived