Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Monaco M3, Natural Top (!) @ Guitar Sinner $2999

Damn!!! I really want one but that’s a very steep price. 
Maybe someone should let them know they’re not going to resolve their financial issues off the sale of one Hamer Monaco lll. 

59 minutes ago, tweed said:

I know I'm a newbe, but what's the deal with first fret inlays ?

A running gag / divisive issue / HFC trope. 

I am unaware of any actual poll on the issue, but if I had to guess I would estimate 1% of members love them, 5% of members are okay with them, 85% of members dislike them, 8% of members absolutely loath them and then there's Kiz and a few others that would be fine with setting fire to any first fret marker if there was a 50/50 chance the guitar could somehow be saved.

Hope that helps.

2 hours ago, velorush said:

A running gag / divisive issue / HFC trope. 

I am unaware of any actual poll on the issue, but if I had to guess I would estimate 1% of members love them, 5% of members are okay with them, 85% of members dislike them, 8% of members absolutely loath them and then there's Kiz and a few others that would be fine with setting fire to any first fret marker if there was a 50/50 chance the guitar could somehow be saved.

Hope that helps.

I love how you did your math to make the percentages work out. 

Everyone should have ONE guitar with a Bigsby. That one is NOT the one, at least not for that much over market value. Every Monaco III I got my greasy paws on was great, but none of them (3) had the stock Duncans. Cut the price in half AND figure the cost of 3 new pups and installation and it MIGHT start to make sense. But not for me......

27 minutes ago, Punkavenger said:

I just watched a you video in which a guitar "reviewer"  bought 3 used guitars from the Guitar center used section to check the viability of actually buying anything from them.  

All three went back

Link! I'd love to see that.

update - this one?  

2 hours ago, Punkavenger said:

It was from Trogly ... love that guy

Something about his voice or maybe his humor gets to me. But his content is so darn good, tho. 

3k and comes with a bag?.........................unless it was a high end MONO on a guitar that is already more than it should be, Hmmmmmmmm nope. All those Guitar Center guitars would be shipped back if I had bought them which I wouldn't have in the first place......................that last one the Trog man opened up with the peeling finish good god who shipped that out and thought gee the buyer is going to be happy with this guitar.

3 hours ago, Travis said:

Something about his voice or maybe his humor gets to me. But his content is so darn good, tho. 

Yeah - me too.   His “facts” can sometimes be really way off reality, so I’m sure he does most of his heavy lifting from Wikipedia.

On 11/6/2020 at 5:26 PM, topekatj said:

Does anyone know if the stock pickups on these were the same too-hot Duncan's that were installed on other Hamer models? If so, I suppose it would be necessary to pull the pots through the f-holes to change pickups. 

Yes the stock pickups are hot ceramic pickups SP90-2 and SP90-3.  I currently have a set of SD Vintage P90's and they're OK.  My gut told me to go with A3's and I wish I would have.  The vintage P90's came with smaller screws and screw holes in the pickup covers?  That set up some challenges.  Another challenge is dressing up the wires around the pickup selector.  The stock three braided pickup wires are also wrapped (several times) and soldered with a solid conductor wire.  It was a challenge to de-solder this wire and I pretty much tore up the braiding on the stock pickup wires during the process.

I suppose it would be necessary to pull the pots through the f-holes to change pickups?  This was about six months ago and I can't remember the details.  Something tells me I had the output jack out and the selector knob.  Fishing and routing wires was a lot easier than I thought.

Why would a Monaco III end up with a bag?  Did someone steal it off a stand?  Was a cat with a urinary ailment allowed to sleep in the original case? 

I wonder if they would let me trade in an Adam Jones Les Paul.  I know I will be taking a hit, but I just didn't bond with it.  That's all. 

3 hours ago, dhuber said:

Yes the stock pickups are hot ceramic pickups SP90-2 and SP90-3.  I currently have a set of SD Vintage P90's and they're OK.  My gut told me to go with A3's and I wish I would have.  The vintage P90's came with smaller screws and screw holes in the pickup covers?  That set up some challenges.  Another challenge is dressing up the wires around the pickup selector.  The stock three braided pickup wires are also wrapped (several times) and soldered with a solid conductor wire.  It was a challenge to de-solder this wire and I pretty much tore up the braiding on the stock pickup wires during the process.

I suppose it would be necessary to pull the pots through the f-holes to change pickups?  This was about six months ago and I can't remember the details.  Something tells me I had the output jack out and the selector knob.  Fishing and routing wires was a lot easier than I thought.

Thanks for your insights on this. If you don’t mind my asking, does Mlll the pickup selector knob mimic the choices of a strat 5 way switch, or are there more/different options? I really like the spruce top on the guitar listed, I wonder how uncommon they are relative to the maple top version. Also, the MII is long scale, correct?

1 hour ago, topekatj said:

Thanks for your insights on this. If you don’t mind my asking, does Mlll the pickup selector knob mimic the choices of a strat 5 way switch, or are there more/different options? I really like the spruce top on the guitar listed, I wonder how uncommon they are relative to the maple top version. Also, the MII is long scale, correct?

The Maple top was a custom order option - those came stock with a Spruce top.

The 5 way rotary functions similarly to a Strat 5-way, yes, and it has a 25.5" (Fender) scale.  It was described by Jol as "The 500lb Strat" at one point.  Mine certainly sounds like that!

MyM3full.jpg

9 hours ago, cmatthes said:

The 5 way rotary functions similarly to a Strat 5-way, yes, and it has a 25.5" (Fender) scale.  It was described by Jol as "The 500lb Strat" at one point.  Mine certainly sounds like that!

MyM3full.jpg

Nice ride!

12 hours ago, cmatthes said:

MyM3full.jpg

Oh Gosh!!! That is beautiful!!!

Archived