Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Gibson Guitars Stolen from Sweetwater Truck

cynic

• cynic changed the title to Gibson Guitars Stolen from Sweetwater Truck

Silverburst?

Well you know it wasn't me...  unless it was to put them out of their misery.

Seriously, I suppose I am naive, but what could someone do with thirteen identical brand new Les Pauls that were of a completely new model?  Wouldn't you have to keep them a great while until there were more in the wild?  Seems like an albatross to try to fence.  But, I am naive about such things. 

10 hours ago, velorush said:

Silverburst?

Well you know it wasn't me...  unless it was to put them out of their misery.

Seriously, I suppose I am naive, but what could someone do with thirteen identical brand new Les Pauls that were of a completely new model?  Wouldn't you have to keep them a great while until there were more in the wild?  Seems like an albatross to try to fence.  But, I am naive about such things. 

Sell them for $350 each as Chibsons.     

I would hope that they somehow ended up mis-sorted, but that is unlikely. More likely is that they are already out of the country. It was probably highly insured, so it makes you suspicious that it was an inside job.

They were all on a pallet on the truck, which was at a truck plaza outside Indy.  Whoever it was knew exactly which pallet it was, nothing else was taken.  Considering the price of these things (no comment) it's not surprising that they'd go for that particular pallet on that particular truck.  VOS is $10K, aged and signed something north of that and they're seriously in demand.  Very probably an inside job.

3 minutes ago, tomteriffic said:

Whoever it was knew exactly which pallet it was

it's not like Gibson hides the brand or what in the box. plenty of info pasted all over each box.

2 minutes ago, murkat said:

it's not like Gibson hides the brand or what in the box. plenty of info pasted all over each box.

True, dat. But, from a thief's perspective, how much time do you expect to have to rummage through the back of a semi to find the exact pallet, move it, etc.?

If I could not resell such an item, believe it or not, these guitars would not even be worth $350 to me personally.  No, thank you.  I cannot believe Gibson's ridiculous asking prices, even if they had good quality control, which they most certainly do not.  I remember when I got my Gibson 333, I tried three of them in the store, and one of them sounded clearly better than the other two.  I eventually sold it anyway.   And now, that I have Hamers, I would not even consider wading back into the Gibson pool.

2 hours ago, HamerCustomEr said:

I cannot believe Gibson's ridiculous asking prices, even if they had good quality control, which they most certainly do not. 

Wrong. Prices are ridiculous only if consumers walk away from the products. Thirteen pre-ordered, sight-unseen, LPs shows that there is still interest in high-end products.

As far as QC goes, in the last few years Gibson has really turned around their manufacturing and are making their best guitars in decades. Took them a while, but they've really made a comeback.

9 hours ago, tomteriffic said:

True, dat. But, from a thief's perspective, how much time do you expect to have to rummage through the back of a semi to find the exact pallet, move it, etc.?

Also, generally a LTL truck would be packed solid with pallets. It's not like they could easily search around to see what was in there, and they would need to know already which truck it was. This really smells of an inside job.

16 hours ago, cynic said:

Or, it was the pallet at the rear of the truck and they just grabbed what was closest.  We really have no idea these guitars were targeted.

Agreed.  No one would knowingly steal a Silverburst Les Paul, much less a baker's dozen of them.  

On 11/7/2020 at 2:11 PM, RobB said:

Wrong. Prices are ridiculous only if consumers walk away from the products. Thirteen pre-ordered, sight-unseen, LPs shows that there is still interest in high-end products.

As far as QC goes, in the last few years Gibson has really turned around their manufacturing and are making their best guitars in decades. Took them a while, but they've really made a comeback.

Totally agree.  That Pelham blue LP classic I picked up is from 2018, and It's as good a guitar as pretty much anything else I own.  It's quickly become one that goes to every gig. 

I wouldn't shell out what it cost to have an Adam Jones model, personally.  That guy's sound is pretty much all in his hands, imo.  Not knocking it - I loved his guitar tone on the first three Tool LPs, but if you learn his chord choices and the feel he uses for his left and right hands, any quality EL-34 amp and Lester will mostly get you there.  

But then, I imagine these were not intended for guitarists looking for something new to gig. 

I could live Hamer's "TV yellow" that looked greenish... sort of.  It was not my preferred color for sure.  The more yellow finish looked nicer, but it was not really that good looking.  I would still have a Special in that color, so it is sort of moot. 

Those silver burst Les Pauls looked nice when they were new, but they have ambered into an uglier green than I want to look at.  Fortunately, you do not look at the front of your guitar as you play, just the neck if you look at your guitar at all while you play. 

4 hours ago, hamerhead said:

A buddy has an original Silverburst. They don't yellow-with-age well.

Originally hideous and gets uglier with age?  

I resemble that guitar!  😱🧐😜

Archived