Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Gibson Guitars Stolen from Sweetwater Truck

cynic

Man, seeing that they were 6k and 10k new, and now they are going for well above that on reverb, I'm guess a lot of people who "lucked out" may now be cashing out, especially with all the extra press that this Sweetwater heist has generated in terms of demand.

I may be mistaken but I seem to remember reading years and years ago that the reason the Tool guy got the old silverburst Custom in the first place was because it was the most affordable decent LP he could find at the time, on either the new or the used market. 

Jones made an animated video for Gibson's promotion of it. 

On the one hand, I think it is hilariously melodramatic, almost cringy.  On the other hand, if someone paid me to make a video (and I had the skill) trying to visualize how my #1 makes me feel, it would probably be equally ridiculous.  And all of your probably would be too in one way or another.  

OK - main would be a little more Z.Z. Top "Eliminator" era and less Arthur C. Clarke, but it would still be silly. 

All of us who've played the same guitar for years look at it more as a relationship and at the guitar as a bit of a talpa if we're being honest.  So with that in mind, I think it's both really silly and yet I kind of like it anyway. 

6 hours ago, Jeff R said:

I may be mistaken but I seem to remember reading years and years ago that the reason the Tool guy got the old silverburst Custom in the first place was because it was the most affordable decent LP he could find at the time, on either the new or the used market. 

Probably.   He's not much of a cork sniffer, which I appreciate.  From a Guitar School interview in 1994:

GS: So what kind of guitar does a person who doesn't think of himself as a
guitarist play?

J: I use Gibson guitars; I prefer the Les Paul custom. It's a black guitar
with a greenish burst in the middle. They only made them for two or three
years. I guess a lot of people complained that the metallic finish was
affecting the sound. That's exactly why I like playing it. I have Seymour
Duncan pickups, and I can't get the same sound with any other guitar, not
even another Gibson, without that finish on it. I have two of them. I'd buy
another if I could find one.

GS: What year is it?

J: I think it's a '78, maybe an '80 - I don't really know. People always
ask me and I tell them it's a '93. [laughs] That shuts them up.

On 11/10/2020 at 6:38 PM, LucSulla said:

...I guess a lot of people complained that the metallic finish was affecting the sound. That's exactly why I like playing it. I have Seymour Duncan pickups, and I can't get the same sound with any other guitar, not even another Gibson, without that finish on it....

Oh boy....

Archived