Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Favourite Stones album?

sonic1974

For me I'd say Sticky Fingers, but it's a tough call! 

For favourite song, and I think it's up there in the top 5 overall songs (not just stones' songs) is Gimme Shelter. 

What do you guys think? 

5 minutes ago, G Man said:

Always been an Exile on Main Street kinda guy.  Tumbling dice is probably my favorite on the album.

Love Tumbling Dice! So much soul.

12 minutes ago, G Man said:

Always been an Exile on Main Street kinda guy.  Tumbling dice is probably my favorite on the album.

The thing about Exile..it has amazing songs, don't get me wrong, I love it! But being a double album, it also has a couple of almost throwaways, that are more jams than songs. Sometimes I'm in the mood for them, sometimes no. 

Not to piss on the album at all though, it's right up there for me. 

Today it's a close call between Some Girls and Tattoo You. Somedays Black and Blue is no 1, and some days Exile on Mainstreet. 

I have 3....no, 4...

Get Yer  Ya-Yas Out...best live album ever.

Sticky Fingers

Let it Bleed

and the outlier....

Blue and Lonesome...an incredible blues album late in the career.

What? No votes for "Satanic Majesty?" 😬

Seriously, if it was just one, Sticky Fingers. Has to do with a certain time and space and around 10,000 miles in 10 weeks in a VW bug with a barely functional cassette deck.

3 hours ago, killerteddybear said:

The Stones can NEVER be forgiven for Some Girls!

Hmmm...that’s one of my favs along week with exile and sticky fingers.   Over the years I’ve even come to find the charm in emotional rescue

Let it Bleed got full both sides play on my turntable often, but my favorite is Love You Live. Maybe not their best live offering, but the 8track came with my first Camaro and it was the first cassette I bought after replacing the 8track. Basically wherever that old Camaro went, live Stones were playing.

12 hours ago, killerteddybear said:

The Stones can NEVER be forgiven for Some Girls!

What is wrong with Some Girls? 

A rockin’ 3 guitar affair with one throwaway IMO...Far Away Eyes....Jagger’s parody stillgrates on me...I wish they would have kept one of the “straight” recordings he did...Keith says Mick sang it beautifully in rehearsal, but when the tape rolled, he went into that C&W Schtick. 
Every song otherwise just kills for me...even Miss You.

I can't make up my mind: Let it Bleed was my first LP record ever (having bought it after I had bought the Honky Tonk Women single), Sticky Fingers blew my mind when I got that next and then there was / is Get Yer YaYas Out, which is also great. And yes, you can't always listen to everything on Exile on Mainstreet, but it has some really fine songs. After Exile, I didn't care very much about what came then. Brussels Affair ist a blast though...

1 minute ago, Gino said:

I can't make up my mind: Let it Bleed was my first LP record ever (having bought it after I had bought the Honky Tonk Women single), Sticky Fingers blew my mind when I got that next and then there was / is Get Yer YaYas Out, which is also great. And yes, you can't always listen to everything on Exile on Mainstreet, but it has some really fine songs. After Exile, I didn't care very much about what came then. Brussels Affair ist a blast though...

Ah, and don't forget Beggars Banquet! For me (being a hard-core Stones fan from 1969 to about 1972) that album was a turning point for the Stones from being more or less a pop band (with nasty lyrics...😁) to becoming a very serious rock band - especially after Mick Taylor replaced Brian Jones. Keef's stuff was getting serious with BB, even more so with Let it Bleed and with Mick T. joining the band, they really took off.

Archived