Hamer Fan Club Message Center

eBay ID disclosure

Would you voluntarily disclose your eBay ID to other HFC members?  

89 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

REQUEST:

before some of us get hurt in useless bidding competitions, would it be OK with everyone if we all disclosed our eBay IDs.

They would need to be stored in some members-only acessable page, of course.

This way we would avoid any aggro over those nice guitties that pop up every now and then :lol: on eBay.

(OTOH bidding wars do keep prices from falling below the 350 dollar threshold...hmmm :rolleyes: )

Just stepped on Belgian's toes last nite - I'm really sorry (we're working to make things right again, don't worry).

There ya go - the podium is now free for your remarks and suggestions.

"JJ"

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If there is any ebay item that I really want, I have no problem bidding against a known HFCer. If it is an item that I wouldn't mind having but if I know that a particular HFCer really wants it, I have no problem laying back.

But I suppose that is really no different than saying I will bid more agressively for something I really want, and less agressively on something that is only of interest.

Yes...this topic has been bantered around before...and I still believe the deeper pockets win...And there is a plus side to it....look at it this way....when the HFC'r that wins whatever guitar or whatever you may be bidding against each other on..It will most likely come up for sale right here when their food stamps and gas vouchers run low towards the end of the month and that way...you can usually just send them half of what you would have spent bidding on it at e-bay!! it's a win-win situation!! lol! :rolleyes:

Consider the possibility that you are the one SELLING the guitar. Then how would you feel about not receiving top dollar because of 'professional courtesy' on the part of the bidders?

Private auctions, baby.

Not that I have had a ton of Ebay/guitar experience, but I have had a ton of Ebay/golf experience. I am also new to the board ....

I look at it from a seller's perspective. I have lost my shirt on a few items that I had to dump. I have also made some pretty good change on a couple of items. I would like to get a reasonable amount for my items. Is really fair for collusion to take place? Not in my opinion.

Typically, I have a set price that I'm willing to pay. If it goes past that...oh well.

The slippery slope here is that there's no way that I will remember all of the ebaY ID's, even if they were disclosed here.

Some I know through repitition ("computer_geeko" and "snowbound_huskie," for instance), and others I recognize because of my incredibly acute investigative skills (I was able to crack the code on the ID's "serialsteve79" and "cmatthes," for example).

As mentioned previously, this subject has come up several times in the past to mixed responses. I prefer to go about my business in a way that I feel is fair to my HFC bretheren:

If I see something that I want and someone that I recognize has bid on it, I lay off.

If they get outbid and it's still within my means, I MAY bid (but I still may not).

If I see something that I want and someone that I recognize has bid on it but it has not met its reserve, I MAY bid (but I still may not).

Sometimes I even email the other guy to ask how badly he might want this item. I try to ask in a way that doesn't make the other guy think that he should do "the bigger thing" and step aside, because that isn't the point of my asking.

Of course I do it the way I do it for me, not because I think or hope that I would be shown the same consideration. The people that I know very well will, but others that don't know me may or may not.

My point is that knowing everyone's ebaY ID may or may not help. Some people want something so badly that they don't care who they aliente to get it. It is at times like those that you find out where you stand with people you may have considered "friend." Unfortunately, you may find that you stand well behind in line with inanimate objects like guitars, apms, etc...

It's a can of worms.

A can of worms on a slippery slope - yuk!

Well, put, Kiz.

Like you, I recognize a number of the eBay ID's and generally follow the same practice. On one occasion, I did see an item that I was intensely interested in IF it stayed within my means. On that occasion I did email the other HFC guy just asking if it was a casual interest in the piece or a definite must-have. I mentioned my interest in the piece and emphasized that the chips should fall where they fall. It was all copacetic, but in the end, neither of us got the guitar. A slippery slope fulla worms, to be sure.

This one has been discussed before, indeed. I have no problem if someone outbids me, or I outbid someone else. Would I hesitate if it's an item I know can be had elsewhere for a similiar price? Maybe.

Knowing the ebay names of other HFCers is NOT collusion. Agreeing to certain bidding conventions definitely is.

Look upon it as a normal, face-to-face auction. If you and five acquaintanences are at the same auction and want the same piece, you can see them and react according to your friendship (or nonfriendship). Could this affect the final outcome in a lower price? Yes, and that's why some don't like the idea.

Likewise, if you know the seller is an HFC-er, then you have (imho) an additional level of assurance that the seller is on the up and up. If I want the item bad enough, I would bid more based on that. Cuts both ways.

Having said that, I see no need to do so in this forum.

I'm cool with most of the replies.

I don't want to rob anyone of their toy-of-the-moment and I'd like the "competition" to be as friendly as possible.

I do not agree on the term "collusion", which IMHO is another thing alltogether - such as agreeing to bid up an item for the sakes of keeping the value of the "market" in used Hamers above a certain point...

And yes, I appreciate Kiz' simple / "compassionate" philosophy... Tall stuff, man.

JJ

I saw something recently that I was interested in, but a known HFC'er had already bid on it. When he was outbid and didn't up his offer, I jumped in. I figure "why screw your friends?" Chances are, the piece you're after (or something like it) will pop up for sale in here anyway.

I'm happy to see nice guitars come into "the family".

Guest Buck Dharma

I think you should bid what you are willing to pay and you win or not. Why should I not bid against someone on this board because they only have fourteen Hamers and they really need that Korina something to complete their collection. If I bid on something it is because I want to play it not talk about it. So if somebody needs that 1979 Sunburst in I don't have a life natural to add to their collection and I need it because I want that type of guitar to play I'm bidding!

Consider the possibility that you are the one SELLING the guitar. Then how would you feel about not receiving top dollar because of 'professional courtesy' on the part of the bidders?

I couldn't say it any better. Deepest pockets win.

I don't mind anyone knowing my ebay ID but I see no reason to back off of an item just because another HFC wants it or has a bid on it.

It really comes down to whoever is willing to pay the price gets it.

And thats the way it should be.

And if you want to make a side deal with the seller and he's willing to cancel the auction and take your offer then that's cool too.

Guest galejt

I don't have an opinion on this either way. People

are going to have their

way with the situation however it pleases them.

I just wanted to be able to say this in public; It's a very slipperly slope with worms on it and whipped cream with cherries on top.

Edited to add lyrics and clean up some aliteration and meter.

Getting to know you, getting to know all about you.

Getting to like you, getting to hope you like me.

Getting to know you, putting it my way,

But nicely,

You are precisely,

My cup of tea.

La La La La

Getting to know you,

Getting to know all about you.

Getting to like you,

Getting to hope you like me.

Getting to know you, putting it my way,

But nicely,

You are precisely

My cup of tea.

La La La La

Getting to know you,

Getting to feel free and easy.

When I am with you,

Getting to know what to say

Haven't you noticed

Suddenly I'm bright and breezy

Because of all the beautiful and new

Things I'm learning about you

Day by day.

Getting to know you,

Getting to feel free and easy.

When I am with you,

Getting to know what to say

Haven't you noticed

Suddenly I'm bright and breezy

Because of all the beautiful and new

Things I'm learning about you

Day by day.

eBay user name galejt (imagine that!)

I have no problem letting anybody know my eBay ID (it's Quinley by the way), but if I want something I'll bid what I'm willing to spend on it, regardless of who else has bid on it and I don't think anything is unfair or unfriendly about that. However, I would never try to make a behind-the-scenes deal for an item I saw on eBay. But, that's probably a whole 'nother can o' worms.

-Austin

What Kiz said.

I have, on occasion, bid against HFCers when I didn't know who they were. I don't like doing that if it's something I can live without.

My ebay handle is 'cowpie(hamerhead)', so it's not real tough to figure out.

My stance on this has not changed at all over the years- deepest pockets win an HONEST auction.

That being said, I still think it is a good idea if we all knew who's who in the eBay game. I would feel much better if I knew the guy I was buying (or selling) something to/from was "family". For instance, I purchased a TV Yellow Special on eBay a few years back. I immedietely sent the postal money order. However, the guitar arrived at my door THE NEXT DAY. I knew the seller hadn't received the funds so I asked him why he sent it. Apparently, he recognized me from this forum so he shipped it before receiving the funds. Thanks again TRADERLANC (what ever happened to him anyway?).

I do not agree with the Machiavellians that feel back door deals against other HFC'rs are ok.

BTW- my eBay handle is mirrorimij (and I also use that name on other forums).

JJ,

you didn't stepped on my toes on this, but I just wanted to let you know that I was interested in this one.

I've never bought or sold a guitar on Ebay, just a couple of other items, but deepest pockets should win.

I don't see reason not to call "MINE" on the board if you see something you can't live without.

Archived