Hamer Fan Club Message Center

IF YOU COULD ONLY BUY ONE OR KEEP ONE HAMER.

This would be the last Hamer guitar you would keep that you already own, if that would be your choice or buy a Hamer guitar that you have always lusted after but never have owned due to the price.............................what would that guitar be? The price would be no object to hinder your purchase. What would that last guitar be? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm Here would be mine. Owned by and later sold by "DUTCH BOPPER" and found in the Netherlands. Hamer "SUNBURST" .sncSG8F.jpg

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have had more than the average number of great ones. But I reckon this is the one.....

Hamer Monaco Goldtop3.JPGHamer Monaco Goldtop.JPG

Hamer Monaco Goldtop2.JPG

I have to choose just ONE...?!?

ugh...

My Mirage I is my most sentimental. My dad bought it for me when I was 16. I play my Mirage II more because the HH pickup layout suits me more. 

but.... If I had to choose just one it would be this...

4C48BBF3-4D84-4CD2-8365-02C803900F79.jpeg

That is an unfair and terrible question! Only one Hamer, indeed! 😉

That's a tough one, I would have to say my '91 Sunburst. My '92 Sunburst probably fits me a bit better and has a TOM setup, probably better overall tone, but just look at the '91!!! I'm working on reviving my '81 Special as we speak (a story for another time!) and my '93 FM is bad a$$ too and has the same neck as the '92 (thin profile), but I'm very attached to the '91. 

spacer.png

Right now, I only have one Hamer, a '85 Cruisebass in factory Transparent Cherry.  I wouldn't mind having another one.  My taste in guitars in general (but not basses) has gravitated to single-cutaway models in the last few years (less neck flex with those, IMO)...Hamer Talledegas and Monacos are available in the single-cutaway configuration, but they're priced out of my price range at the moment.  :(

Gotta go with this one from my beloved, modded '89 Cali Elite LE's. Nothing comes close to them for aesthetics, comfort, utility and performance and this one is just a teeny, tiny bit more awesome-r than the others. :P

Cali-Oactive copy.jpg

Playing so little electric lately it’s hard to consider.  It would have to be a toss up between an earthen maple talledega and an improv.  Truth be told, never played either, but both appeal to me, maybe the imrpov more so.

spacer.png

spacer.png

12 hours ago, Drew816 said:

That is an unfair and terrible question! Only one Hamer, indeed! 😉

That's a tough one, I would have to say my '91 Sunburst. My '92 Sunburst probably fits me a bit better and has a TOM setup, probably better overall tone, but just look at the '91!!! I'm working on reviving my '81 Special as we speak (a story for another time!) and my '93 FM is bad a$$ too and has the same neck as the '92 (thin profile), but I'm very attached to the '91. 

spacer.png

Look at that thing!

7 hours ago, G Man said:

Playing so little electric lately it’s hard to consider.  It would have to be a toss up between an earthen maple talledega and an improv.  Truth be told, never played either, but both appeal to me, maybe the imrpov more so.

spacer.png

That one is mine!  It’s the one I posted a pic above. Not an earthen, but a damn fine instrument. I, too, would love an earthen talladega, but being true to the question posed by the OP, I’d keep mine above all others. 

6 hours ago, GuitarGuy65 said:

I've owned many over the years, but I'd have to say the Electraglide SMG.  The guitars neck is just so perfect for me and it plays so effortlessly...  It's a bit on the heavy side but man does it sing!

1985 Hamer Electraglide.JPG

I always loved the look of those, to the point of nearly ordering my Shishkov DC with the Ultimate headstock.

9 hours ago, topekatj said:

Dammmmn, what is the story on this beauty? Looks brand new, one piece top (?), someone’s name on the TRC.

And a switch.

Originally ordered by Bob Mann.  Studio and live player to many of the stars.  One piece top and factory Stars Guitars pre-amp that sounds pretty darn good, if you only have a clean amp at your disposal.  

Would be either a

Standard Custom or

Tally or

Newport.

Maybe I would have died before the decision was made. B)

I have a number of Hamers that are "better" and/or that I reach for before, but I'd have to keep my old black Hamer Sunburst (1980, I think) I bought new as a teenager in NYC.  It has been played, Townshend'd. and whatever else, but that is the one.  It is just cool.  And it does make some good noise.

Perhaps no need for me to (yet again) post my entry, the much-maligned, frequently cast aside Kiz' SeniorTM

With a simple change in tone cap, it found its voice and became the quintessential working man's guitar.  After seventeen years of 'seasoning' it has a marvelous mid range voice, even unplugged, and the medium-to-low powered Rio Grande Buffalo / Texas pickups are appropriate to every situation, especially with the coil split option.  It is everything I wanted my '80 Special to be but wasn't: perfect vintage carve neck and, dare I say it, far better build quality.

OniBLHA.jpg

Archived