Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Wanted To Buy: Hamer USA 12 String

Hi,

I am in the market for a Hamer USA 12 string. I live in L.A. I have been scouring the local market for months. L.A. Is not a big Hamer town unfortunately.

I have also checked Ebay and Reverb. Currently on Reverb, there are 4 Hamer 12's available ranging in price from $1585 (for one that has cracked paint on the back)  to $2499 + tax and shipping. Nothing on The Bay.

Used guitar prices have gone insane lately. If anyone knows of anything semi-reasonable, please send me a message. Would love to deal in the Southern Cal.  area if at all possible.

Thanks

Rick

Are you looking for a Hamer 12 string guitar or bass?   There’s a pricing and availability difference.

If it helps, that price range is pretty much where the Basses START and if you’re looking for a 12 string guitar, the only thing that’ll be below that range (realistically) is a 1990s-era Eclipse 12.

I am semi new to this forum and don't see a way to replay to individual posts. So.

cmatthes  I am looking for a 12 string guitar not bass. So you think those prices I sited are reasonable at this time?

When I check the sold listings they were going for a lot less pre- pandemic. And it is not like the guitars are selling, they have been sitting there for months. I would make an offer but I don't want to offend anyone with a realistic "lowball" offer.

Hbom  The one you sited on ebay is also on reverb, I forgot that the 83 Phantom is on Ebay too. My bad. That one has some scuff marks on it so not in perfect shape.

Do you think that is a fair price they are asking?

I believe the price on the Phantom 12 has dropped twice since 1st listed. And it's been there quite awhile. But that doesn't mean it's not a fair price. Only that I can't justify another 12.

Hamer USA guitars are going up in value lately but so are all the others. In my estimation Hamers are still undervalued when compared to other brands. NOTHING that the big 3 offers for under 3 grand could do what my Newport 12 does. They don't make them. And nobody is going to build one soon. So there's not a lot of incentive to sell one cheap.

But that's just me.

Newpport 12_3 - small.jpg

1 hour ago, Hbom said:

NOTHING that the big 3 offers for under 3 grand could do what my Newport 12 does.

How far we have come since 1985!  I assume that you are including POS, I mean PRS, along with Fender and Gibson?  Like him or not, you have to admire Paul Reed Smith taking on the two giants and then climbing up to their level.

There are many options....It may take time to find one and at the right price. Good luck!

An old picture.....I only have the two left.

IMG_0293 - Copy (2).JPG

That’s still way too much for a Korean CH-12.  I sold a USA B-12L for about that a few months ago. 

The honest lay of the land is that there simply are not a lot of Hamer 12 string guitars out there, period.  Certainly more 12 string Basses, and those are actually pretty rare.

The Eclipse 12 is probably the most prevalent and the one you’d see for sale mostly, and those can range from just under $1,000 to $1,200 on average.  Those were made for 4-5 years, starting in 1995, and bridged Arlington Heights and New Hartford.

The Newport 12 is probably the next more likely to turn up, and that was all New Hartford production and is in my opinion(and I’ve owned and sold every major brand of electric 12 at least once!), the best electric 12 made.  Better in every way than a Rickenbacker, easy to play and it does way more than just nail the Rickenbacker sound.

After that, you may find a random ‘80s Chapparal or Phantom 12 string, or maybe the more uncommon Prototype 12.  Depending on the condition, whether it has the original case, etc., those could be anywhere from $1,200-$2,000, realistically.  There were probably five Standard 12 strings made, but all of those would sell for $3,000 and up.

They’re definitely out there, but are fairly rare birds.   A few people on this board might be able to assist and/or might have a spare one tucked away...

12 hours ago, django49 said:

There are many options....It may take time to find one and at the right price. Good luck!

An old picture.....I only have the two left.

IMG_0293 - Copy (2).JPG

Great collection!!  Two left is still impressive, in my opinion.

2 hours ago, HamStd said:

I have a couple of options on 12 string guitars that I am selling.  email me at [email protected].  I am  in the bay area so it is short UPS ride down to So. Cal.

Thanks

Peter

I was wondering if you'd chime in, Peter. That Chap was reeeally tempting.....

59 minutes ago, GuitarGuy65 said:

Speaking of Hamer 12 string guitars, does anyone know if Robin Zander still has that Hamer/Ric 620 copy 12-string he used to play in the late 70's/early 80's?  That was one of the coolest ever IMO!

I believe that one resides in Japan these days.

Archived