Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Classical guitar - any recommendations?

My now eleven yrs old one started to learn classical guitar lately. Just for fun I started to do some classical stuff on his (70%size) guitar, and it really is fun to do some baroque stuff. Result: I am thinking about getting one for myself.

Can you recommend a certain model/brand - in a middle price range, say 500 bucks+/-? Due to lack of experience there is no preference on certain woods or so. A cutaway would be nice, I guess...

thanks a lot!

I've had a few new Cordoba classicals cross the bench for initial set-ups and they needed very little TLC. All their owners were wooed by the Cordobas being very affordable for getting all the features one would like to see on a good classical.

The ones I serviced had truss rods too. Very nice option to seek out in any classical you plan to enjoy playing for decades.

Taylor makes great classicals too for steel string players who are branching into nylons and want a USA-made guitar without spending a fortune.

Nice classicals can get EXPENSIVE.

9 hours ago, RobB said:

Yamaha always brings it.

Thanks - I love the Yamaha acoustics... The only thing that bothers me here is the name. For a classical guitar I expect something more spanish... Jamaha? Jamahá? 😉

Hey, although I hang out here, I primarily play classical guitar.  I play with a guitar ensemble/guitar orchestra (about 20 total members) in So. Cal. so my classical is my most expensive instrument by far.  However, my daughters play a bit (forced, by me), and I've really been impressed with their instruments, which are La Patrie Arenas made by Godin.  They are quite a bit thinner and have a cutaway, but have all of the traditional dimensions for the neck, so playing is really easy.  The Arena sounds good by itself, although at half the depth, it doesn't have as much bass as a full-size.  Plugged in, it sounds about as good as a plugged-in guitar gets at that price.  La Patrie makes a whole line of classicals, and I've played one other, the Motif.  The three I've played have been really impressive, so I'd consider them.

I also have a made-in-Spain Cordoba that I use for practice around the house.  It is pretty nice - it plays really well, and has a nice sound.  I've played some other Cordobas that sound great, and have a nice feel to them.  In fact, one time in Sam Ash I picked up a $199 Cordoba and was pretty blown away for the price too.  So, there's a lot of options, and I'd look carefully at Cordoba and La Patrie.  (It looks like Godin is starting to do away with the La Patrie brand, but only the name.  All of the previous nylon instruments labeled as "La Patrie" now are in Godin's website, and the old La Patrie website redirects to Godin Guitars.  That's okay, I never understood why Godin used 18 different names for different families of instruments anyway...)

Hope that helps.  

Archived