Hamer Fan Club Message Center

What's the boo-teeky, overpriced obscure pedal you actually think is terrific?

polara

Yeah, BOSS and MXR and Digitech are honestly just fine. And we all know being a better player is more important than having better gear. But we still want to sound as good as our skill level permits, and to have fun doing it. So what's your CorkSniffer® "almost embarrassed to use it" must-have? For me it's this thing:

Cali76-C-2.jpg?v-cache=1458591917

It's just a compressor pedal, but it makes everything mo' betta'.

EDITED TO ADD I paid nowhere near the new price. I got it used for what, half? But still a pricey 'presser.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't actually have it, but I wish I did! It's not rare, but pretty expensive. The Catalinbread Belle Epoch ep3 delay. I think I'll probably buy one eventually because they sound amazing, but it's at the upper limit I've what I'd pay for a non-multi-effect pedal. 

What a sound though! 

15 minutes ago, polara said:

Yeah, BOSS and MXR and Digitech are honestly just fine. And we all know being a better player is more important than having better gear. But we still want to sound as good as our skill level permits, and to have fun doing it. So what's your CorkSniffer® "almost embarrassed to use it" must-have? For me it's this thing:

Cali76-C-2.jpg?v-cache=1458591917

It's just a compressor pedal, but it makes everything mo' betta'.

I'd love to get two of these.  Lowell George used two of the rackmounts (Urei 1176) back to back and that's good enough for me.

I feel so validated now, lol.  

The closest thing I have to this is the Lovepedal Eternity OD I  picked up off @gtrdaddy, and even then, it's not all that close, maybe a little more so if it's handwired.  I've never checked because I honestly don't care what's going on under the hood because, whatever it is, it sounds and feels awesome.  

1 hour ago, tomteriffic said:

I'd love to get two of these.  Lowell George used two of the rackmounts (Urei 1176) back to back and that's good enough for me.

I think they make a double-model, too.

I have got an eventide pitchfactor which I thought I could use to turn me into Brian May.

Basically it highlighted how little I know about music theory in my uselessness to work out how to set harmonies properly.

Still, it’s very powerful and does some really great mad stuff.

I love Univibes...  

Okay, I love Univibes so long as someone else is playing.  There.  Every time I buy one I get tired of the throbbing after about five minutes and I box them up and sell them.  I've had many of the boutique brands; even the Earthquaker Devices "The Depths" that claimed it's "Throb" knob could allow control of the intensity of throb.  All sent back or flipped.

Then I discovered the Lovepedal Vibronaut.  The separate Low and Hi knobs aren't just EQ - they seem to change how the effect works on those frequencies, so the throb can be dialed back or intensified as-needed.  The Level control is great, too, as level always at least seems to drop when one of these type pedals gets stepped on.  It's great (IMO).  Definitely not as expensive as the Dry Bell Vibe Machine and others, but also not cheap and definitely under the radar.lovepedal-vibronaut-photocell-vibe-pedal

spacer.png

2 hours ago, polara said:

I think they make a double-model, too.

Yep, Called the Slide Rig I have one and it's the best compressor I've ever used. The ability to run two comps in series is more useful than you might initially think. Mine is almost always on. 

58 minutes ago, velorush said:

I love Univibes...  

Okay, I love Univibes so long as someone else is playing.  There.  Every time I buy one I get tired of the throbbing after about five minutes and I box them up and sell them.  I've had many of the boutique brands; even the Earthquaker Devices "The Depths" that claimed it's "Throb" knob could allow control of the intensity of throb.  All sent back or flipped.

Then I discovered the Lovepedal Vibronaut.  The separate Low and Hi knobs aren't just EQ - they seem to change how the effect works on those frequencies, so the throb can be dialed back or intensified as-needed.  The Level control is great, too, as level always at least seems to drop when one of these type pedals gets stepped on.  It's great (IMO).  Definitely not as expensive as the Dry Bell Vibe Machine and others, but also not cheap and definitely under the radar.lovepedal-vibronaut-photocell-vibe-pedal

I have the 4 knob version with a "wobble" knob or something similar.   It's the only one if it's ilk that I haven't quickly parted ways with.  Still, a little goes a long way.

Foxrox Paradox flanger. Never owned one but every clip sounds more like someone actually messing with the reels in a studio than any other pedal flanger I've heard. I loooove a good flanger. Itchycoo Park, baby.

I have a very early Fulldrive one, serial number well under 100. These used to go for a lot. I don't know these days. But it's a great pedal. Not on my board though.

The toast of the town on my board right now is the Solodallas Storm pedal. Is that on even boutique? I like it though.

I'm also sucker for a great Univibe...

Had a Boss CE-5 (my first pedal purchase after a wah), heard a proper univibe and wondered why anyone would want a standard chorus pedal instead. Never plugged it in again.

In summer '95, I went to visit family in England and took an afternoon to check out guitar stores in London. First one I walked into had a Roger Mayer Voodoo Vibe on display. Took all of 30 seconds plugged in, and I fell in love. Came back the next day with £180, but it was gone. Took a few months for my local shop back in NJ to get in contact with RM and order me one, which I was told was the first one they shipped to the US not for an artist or studio. Permanently in my signal chain ever since...

And an early Fulltone Deja Vibe I snagged at a guitar show and a Lovepedal Vibronaut (5-knob photocell) I scored here have been added to the collection, as well. All 3 are amazing, and can do very similar "classic" univibe sounds, but also have their own flavor (flavour, in the case of the Voodoo Vibe), and the RM and Lovepedal can do far more than just classic 'vibe.

Do I need all 3? Of course not. Will I ever part with them? Nope!

I like the Keely compressor better than Dynacomp. 

Dynacomp has "that sound" but it only works in certain situations. 

With the Keeley you can get super squishy if you want,  but it has a bigger range so you can get it to be more subtle too, which I find really useful. 

13 hours ago, The Shark said:

The Ethos pedal was really killer.  I can't for the life of me remember why I sold it.

Totally agree. My favorite of all time. As an experiment in how light a rig I could use in actual live play, I took the "amp" version of the Ethos Overdrive (builtin solid state power amp, about 30 watts) to a gig with only a Flint pedal (Reverb and Trem) on a very mini "board" (6" x 12") and a 1 x 12 cab. It was at least as good as anything onstage.

I wish Robbie's new "super deluxe" version was not already 3 years overdue. A prototype has built in reverb, expanded boost function and a switchable HRM feature. God only knows the eventual price.

Archived