Hamer Fan Club Message Center

N(U)GD: 2001 Artist Korina jazzburst (pics and quick audio)

polara

Here we go.

A Thanksgiving reminder of how fortunate I am to have the health to play, the means to buy guitars, and family and friends to play with. We started writing a new song today, and here's an iPhone recording of the Artist.

DSCF1747 2.jpeg

DSCF1748 2.jpeg

DSCF1749 2.jpeg

LOVE it!!! Congrats!

Makes me miss my old 2001 Korina Artist HB. Also in jazzburst, which I think is one of the best and most underutilized finishes Hamer used. ESPECIALLY on Korina. 

• polara changed the title to N(U)GD: 2001 Artist Korina jazzburst (pics and quick audio)

Way cool. I love these guitars, have an HB and a P90 in 'regular' color also, the Jazzburst works very well on it though. To me, these things are considerably undervalued compared to what it would take to get anything of similar quality and construction from a current manufacturer, new or used. Which is partly why I have 2!

They get even better if you Gravelin-ize them.

That song sounds quite interesting also. I quite like that one.

I think I'm returning it to GC. While it's lovely and has a great neck, the sound is just not doing it. All mid-lows, not much bite, a bit bland for my tastes. Y'all have at it!

11 minutes ago, polara said:

I think I'm returning it to GC. While it's lovely and has a great neck, the sound is just not doing it. All mid-lows, not much bite, a bit bland for my tastes. Y'all have at it!

Ahh...   no!!!  

sell the pickups and have josh wind you something else. Or, have josh rewind the pickups into something of your dreams. He can do it. That’s such a killer guitar. 

3 hours ago, Dutchman said:

Not sure if you know this, but you can take it to your closest GC and they’ll take it and try to turn it. You’ll get a check for amount owed back.

I don't quite follow. Turn it? I'm just gonna return it for a refund: I've done it before. What so you mean by owed back?

15 minutes ago, polara said:

I don't quite follow. Turn it? I'm just gonna return it for a refund: I've done it before. What so you mean by owed back?

I think he means you can take it in to your local guitar center to avoid shipping. They’ll cut you a refund check and then that store will try and sell it themselves. 

UPDATE:

Spent some time raising and lowering pickups and pole pieces and got it into "pretty good" territory. Lowering the pole pieces, lowering the neck pickup, raising the bridge pickup, and going a smidgen lower on the bass side on both helped. I know conventional wisdom is the move the pole pieces up and keep the pickups down, but whatever... we all have different amps and ears.

Anyway, it now has an interesting character which is kind of jazzy and woody, as opposed to boomy and dull. If I sell I'll let ya'll know but it's on probation still!

2 hours ago, Travis said:

I think he means you can take it in to your local guitar center to avoid shipping. They’ll cut you a refund check and then that store will try and sell it themselves. 

Yep! That’s what I meant :)

Did these come with Duncan P90s?  If I recall, its not Duncan's strongest pickup which is kind of weird since even epiphone P90s sound decent for the most part. Not the hardest pickup to wind. I can only imagine how a set of Lollars or similar would open up that beautiful guitar. 

55 minutes ago, analogsystem said:

Did these come with Duncan P90s?  If I recall, its not Duncan's strongest pickup which is kind of weird since even epiphone P90s sound decent for the most part. Not the hardest pickup to wind. I can only imagine how a set of Lollars or similar would open up that beautiful guitar. 

Yes, Duncan P90’s came stock. I think a vintage in the neck and a custom in the bridge, but I could be mistaken on that detail. I’ve not had the chance to play them but I see people post time and time again that the Lollars are a fantastic upgrade. 

14 minutes ago, Travis said:

I’ve not had the chance to play them but I see people post time and time again that the Lollars are a fantastic upgrade.

I have Lollar’s 50’s wind P90’s in my Korina Artist. Love them!!!

Archived