Hamer Fan Club Message Center

PO'd or Relieved?

Hbom

I see the local mom & pop have 2 Hamers listed on Reverb this week. A '98 Duotone and a 96 Mirage II. Both listed as NOS at somewhat reasonable prices for the times/condition .

I have been in that place dozens of times over the past 10-12 years and asked about Hamers almost every time. Never any mention of NOS Hamers. 

Now they pull these out and I'm wondering WTF??

Hamer Duotone *RARE* N.O.S. - U.S.A. Made Acoustic/Electric Hybrid Guitar w/ Case 1998 | Mammoth Music | Reverb

Hamer Mirage II *RARE* N.O.S - U.S.A. Made Koa Top Made Electric Guitar w/ Case 1996 | Mammoth Music | Reverb

So I don't know if I'm mad or glad. Not a lot of GAS for either so maybe just relieved.

Those prices are a fcuking joke.

If it was me, I'd ask them the next time you're in the store.  Or just email them and ask.

When a shop has 20+ year-old NOS guitars that never sold, usually the price (and/or obstinate dealers/shop owners) are the reason why.  Though, it being Alaska, everything's more expensive there anyway...but you know that already.  I'd also ask if they've been in a 'climate controlled' environment all this time, as year-round humidity issues (or issues from lack of humidity) have got to be brutal up there; so make sure the fret ends aren't gonna rip your hands up, and the wood hasn't done anything weird.

1 hour ago, cmatthes said:

Those prices are a fcuking joke.

Well, the ad did NOT state that they didn’t want to be told their prices were too high...  pardon the double negative. 

1 hour ago, Hbom said:

I see the local mom & pop have 2 Hamers listed on Reverb this week. A '98 Duotone and a 96 Mirage II. Both listed as NOS at somewhat reasonable prices for the times/condition .

I have been in that place dozens of times over the past 10-12 years and asked about Hamers almost every time. Never any mention of NOS Hamers. 

Now they pull these out and I'm wondering WTF??

Hamer Duotone *RARE* N.O.S. - U.S.A. Made Acoustic/Electric Hybrid Guitar w/ Case 1998 | Mammoth Music | Reverb

Hamer Mirage II *RARE* N.O.S - U.S.A. Made Koa Top Made Electric Guitar w/ Case 1996 | Mammoth Music | Reverb

So I don't know if I'm mad or glad. Not a lot of GAS for either so maybe just relieved.

The same thing happened to me with the exact same store!  I even sent them the following message:

"Hi,
I visited your store in person in August 2017, and I asked your salesman specifically if you had any Hamers in stock. He said no, but now you are advertising this Mirage II as well as a Duotone Custom as if you have had them all along. I don’t understand. Were they the owner’s personal guitars, or was your salesman misinformed, or perhaps something else?
Thanks,
Andris"

and they responded,

"The owner has a lot of guitars that are brand new in his vault. He has only started putting some of them out for sale. I hope your visit to Alaska was a great experience. Thank you for taking time to stop in our store.
Chris "

8 minutes ago, crunchee said:

When a shop has 20+ year-old NOS guitars that never sold, usually the price (and/or obstinate dealers/shop owners) are the reason why. 

This is some nonsense that some sellers pull. Pure marketing to the morons.
It's impossible to prove and even harder to make me give a shit about.  The guitar is worth what it's worth due to its condition regardless of how many people have owned it.
Would it be worth less if it were in "like new" condition, but 40 people had owned it? Do I get it got half price then?

Here's another example: "Uncirculated" 1979 Sunburst
It's been played and shows some really honest wear for a guitar its age, but it has been "uncirculated."
WTF does that mean?  Oh wait.  I know what it means... It means he wants over three grand for it.
Yeah, no.

12 minutes ago, kizanski said:

This is some nonsense that some sellers pull. Pure marketing to the morons.
It's impossible to prove and even harder to make me give a shit about.  The guitar is worth what it's worth due to its condition regardless of how many people have owned it.
Would it be worth less if it were in "like new" condition, but 40 people had owned it? Do I get it got half price then?

Here's another example: "Uncirculated" 1979 Sunburst
It's been played and shows some really honest wear for a guitar its age, but it has been "uncirculated."
WTF does that mean?  Oh wait.  I know what it means... It means he wants over three grand for it.
Yeah, no.

The guitar is 100% original and the frets show NO wear!  NOTE:  We are not sure if the volume & tone knobs are original but they were on the guitar when the owner bought it from the original owner back in 84'.”.....

So, how can you say the guitar is 100% original if you’re not sure whether certain parts are original...?

Plus, it’s a 2-owner guitar. At the very least, it’s partially circulated. Yeah, fuck that guy. That’s some COCV right there...

20 minutes ago, Travis said:

The guitar is 100% original and the frets show NO wear! 

The frets show no wear, yet the finish is worn through on the back right down to the bare wood.
So the seller would have us believe that the owner of this uncirculated instrument just hung it from a strap and never played it.
Wait, where's my credit card and my phone?

I guess I'm so used to guitars on Reverb being priced high and haggled down that these prices don't seem out of the ball park for NEW OLD STOCK guitars.

So my question is what is NOS?

In my feeble mind NOS means the item has been in the store/warehouse since arriving from the distributor. Not purchased by the shop owner for his personal collection and later returned to the shelf.

They say Never Left The Store". Where's the box?

Seems like if they have been storing that Mirage II for25 years they would have the original box or case. Not a "brand new Gator GWE-ELEC-WIDE hard case."

My guess is they are trade ins that he's trying to pass off as NOS. 

Doesn't really matter. I might have been interested in one of them at one time but neither trips my trigger these days.

And I can buy strings through the mail.

Final answer. RELIEVED.

The Duotone Custom for sale (the seller doesn't even refer to it as a Custom) comes with a battered hardshell case: 

"Comes with original Hamer hard case that is also in overall good condition but shows normal wear and tear from the years. "

How would the case have gotten wear and tear if it were just sitting in a vault??

Mammoth Music found another "N.O.S." Hamer, a supposedly "rare" 1997 59 Artist?  Whatever!  What is rare is that ridiculous price!!

https://reverb.com/ca/item/37398623-hamer-artist-59-rare-n-o-s-u-s-a-made-flame-top-semi-hollow-electric-guitar-w-case-1997-burst

10 hours ago, HamerCustomEr said:

Mammoth Music found another "N.O.S." Hamer, a supposedly "rare" 1997 59 Artist?  Whatever!  What is rare is that ridiculous price!!

https://reverb.com/ca/item/37398623-hamer-artist-59-rare-n-o-s-u-s-a-made-flame-top-semi-hollow-electric-guitar-w-case-1997-burst

Hmmmmm. Guess I'll just shut up and watch.

Maybe he has a Artist Custom in blue. NOS with the ohsc of course.

10 hours ago, HamerCustomEr said:

That’s a fantastic looking guitar. I always liked the ‘59 burst even tho I feel like it was the most common burst Hamer did. Not exactly “rare”

My biggest issue is listing it as “NOS” and then mentioning/showing the dents and dings. 

Maybe I just have an alternate definition for NOS. Just because it has never left the store doesn’t mean it’s not “used” (pardon the triple negative...)

17 minutes ago, Travis said:

That’s a fantastic looking guitar. I always liked the ‘59 burst even tho I feel like it was the most common burst Hamer did. Not exactly “rare”

My biggest issue is listing it as “NOS” and then mentioning/showing the dents and dings. 

Maybe I just have an alternate definition for NOS. Just because it has never left the store doesn’t mean it’s not “used” (pardon the triple negative...)

Yeah, the only accurate points in that listing are the year, the model, and the color.  Everything else is nonsense.
A dinged up "NOS" guitar that they bought new and it never left the store... ok.
I have at least a dozen guitars hanging on my wall right now that are cleaner than that one. And a couple of them are relics.

I've played that Mirage. its been hanging on the wall there for years. it was a low as $1400 at one time & I almost bought it, but I already have one. I was down there a few weeks ago (month?) and it was listed at 1900 (I posted about this a while back). the guy I talked to said had another in the box and they were going to post them on Reverb soon.  the Duotone .... not sure. I never paid much attention to it but they did have a couple more USA Hamers on the racks. I've been eying the Mirage for a long time simply because I love mine so much... it always catches my eye.

last time I was there the guy I talked to said there is supposed to be a 25th anniversary Artist(?)...  still in the case, still in the box. in fact, he wasn't sure what guitar they had because it was still wrapped up. he called me a day later when the owner pulled it out to see what it was.  they didn't have a price at that time but I got the feeling that they were going to be pretty proud of it. expect to see that one come up too

14 hours ago, m chops said:

What did P.T. Barnum say?

Why did the chicken cross the road?

Maybe not his most famous quote but...

Yeah, craziness but Reverb is filled with these types of listings. There are a few guitars I've been tracking for over a year now. One guitar didn't sell at $1699, so they raised the price to $2099, I love it!

Yeah, no, none of those qualify as N.O.S. Sorry.  The only thing acceptable on New Old Stock items are things like oxidation of the nickel parts, hameritis, binding shrinking, etc. There should be NO PLAY WEAR. No dents. NONE. N.O.S. means it's been sitting in that case unplayed.

Also if they are N.O.S. why the hell don't they have the original cases? Did they LOSE them?  The Duotone has one, and actually that is a great looking case, and I don't know what wear and tear they are talking about.

Anyway someone needs to call them up and ask wtf they have been smoking.

Archived