Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Best Pick Color...

I’m partial to my glow-in-the-dark picks...

D4588551-3493-4CB0-B843-1A6D7C046C61.jpeg

On 11/29/2020 at 4:43 PM, cmatthes said:

I’m partial to my glow-in-the-dark picks...

Have never seen glow in the dark picks before but love the idea. I swear if I have three picks in my pocket I never drop one but if I only have the one I am playing with I will drop it at least twice per rehearsal. 

Why do I not have any checkerboard picks, damnit!

I use whatever's around, Mediums. I have all kinds that I've acquired over time but have a series of obnoxious NEON PINK picks that don't need to glow in the dark as you can miss them should you drop one. I ended up with a whole bag of these a long time ago and still have a few.

...as he's now logging onto Ebay to look for checkerboard picks wishing his '81 Special was checkerboard'ed as well...

My "heartbreak of psoriasis" seems to be centered around the thumb and fist finger of my right hand.  Which makes them shiny/smooth and holding onto a pick becomes a real challenge.  After trying just about everything, the ones that feel normal that I can hang onto are these.  White with a blue splotch.

Cool Pick.jpg

Neon Green

I've been using these exclusively for a few years.

image.png

On 12/2/2020 at 5:08 PM, tomteriffic said:

My "heartbreak of psoriasis" seems to be centered around the thumb and fist finger of my right hand.  Which makes them shiny/smooth and holding onto a pick becomes a real challenge.  After trying just about everything, the ones that feel normal that I can hang onto are these.  White with a blue splotch.

Cool Pick.jpg

Tom - those are great for some extra “grab”.  Also try out the white Steve Vai picks.  Trust me...the ones with the little rubbery dots are impossible to drop!

I keep a half-gross or so of the Planet Waves celluloid checkerboard picks becuase they're relatively good and easy to find on stage floors, carpets, etc.  My favorite tactile experience with a pick in recent years is Dunlop's Ultex in .73 gauge and I have a half-gross of those, as well. The Ultex picks have a naturally flat surface sheen, but to help add a bit of grip, I have begun masking one side with little tape squares and spraying that side with texture paint.  That seems like overkill, but it does provide some additional grippiness  along with the added benefit of making them easier to spot on a dimly lit stage floor. 

Ultex checkered.jpg

On 11/29/2020 at 4:24 PM, killerteddybear said:

NOT the clear acrylic V-Picks on a gig. Drop it and it's invisible!

When I was about fourteen I bought a clear Nick Lucas pick. I thought it was really cool until I realized I was spending more time looking for it after I dropped it than I did actually using it.

13 minutes ago, Steve Haynie said:

Toy Caldwell, Jeff Beck, and Marcus King have proven you can play an electric guitar quite well without a pick.

Verily. Toy's technique always looked bizarre to my eyes, but it seemed to work just fine for him. Of course, Beck used a pick earlier in his career, but his current style has been "home" for him for the last 30 years or so. Now, THIS is the guy I most readily associate with playing sans plectrum:

spacer.png

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/10/2020 at 9:22 AM, Biz Prof said:

Verily. Toy's technique always looked bizarre to my eyes, but it seemed to work just fine for him. Of course, Beck used a pick earlier in his career, but his current style has been "home" for him for the last 30 years or so. Now, THIS is the guy I most readily associate with playing sans plectrum:

Richie Kotzen too.

Archived