Hamer Fan Club Message Center

CTS and recovery

Ua D

Not sure Which forum this should go in but my question is music playing related.  

Anyone here ever had Carpal tunnel release surgery?  If so what was your long term recovery like? I expect not to play normally for awhile but we’re you back up to speed and dexterity 6 months later or a year?  
Thanks for any information 

I thought we were going to be talking about CTS Pots for a minute... 😉

Carpal Release recovery was nothing compared to the mayhem I endure later on my left arm, years of roadracing motorcycles took their toll. Overall the recovery from Carpal Release wasn't too bad, but this of course depends on your age, health and just how bad the condition is for "you." I was back to playing pretty quickly with the carpal surgery, what equated to my full strength in a couple of months. Just how "effective" it might be is another discussion. 

Ok, follow the advice from your docs, don't over do it and you should be back up and strumming quicker than you thought possible.

Hang in there!

I had it done around 17 years ago on both hands. I had them done at different times, but back to back. They stay wrapped and outer stitches in place for 6 weeks each. Hands feel very week at first, but come around very quickly. Best thing i ever had done. My left hand was almost totally crippled before having surgery. Thank God I had them done.

Thanks for the information.  I had talked to some other people who had it done and everyone seems to have been very happy get it done, but none were guitar players and you can understand my concern.   
thanks for the information.  

I had the surgery done about 7 years ago. Left hand first and the Right hand a few months later. Before the surgery, I was constantly waking up in the middle of the night because of the tingling in my hands. I got to the point where it was tough to ride my bike without constantly using the Cruise Control and making it thru a 4 hour gig was tough. For the first surgery, I was able to play full gigs within a couple of weeks. The second surgery was during a time of year when the gigs were slow and the weather was not good for riding so there was plenty of time for recovery. For me, it was the best money spent and the problem has never recurred. 

both wrists done around 1990. back when they just cut it open. Mine were severely damaged. Nerve damage is still present, it comes and go's.

The operation today is totally different then what it was back then. I highly recommend.

Awesome to hear.  Mine wakes me up at night(even earring a brace), 5 minutes into cycling or motorcycling it goes numb for the rest of the ride and now when I start writing for any extended amount (more than a sentence) it starts to get all tingly.  Work bugs me too, I use my hands all day.  Luckily I have no symptoms on the left hand.  

I figured it was best to get some anecdotes, so I’m  scheduling my appt today 

thanks again.   

A friend of mine, who is a well known local guitar slinger, was really sweating about having to do both wrists.  End of career?.... etc, etc.  He got through all of it, healed up pretty quickly and is playing better than he has in years. 

Archived