Hamer Fan Club Message Center

I'm going to move this one on.  I do like it quite a bit, but I've had to make a few purchases for the home and just feel a little stupid juggling things around to justify keeping a guitar that I mostly just use around the house because I like playing teles occasionally.  

Yes, I had to add material back to the screw hole for the control box, and yes it's fine.  I had a thread here where I discussed the pros and cons of it being a Paulownia body.  Overall, I think, if you really like light guitars, the pros outweigh the cons.  I've gigged it a bit and managed not to ding it, so unless you're going to go full Kurt Cobain with it, you can keep it ding free.  

Brand new Phat Cat and Jerry Donahue pup in it, and while this is personal opinion, I think that combo completely smokes the stock G&L MFD/bucker setup it had. 

I'd do $900 shipped CONUS here with PayPal gift or Venmo.  

https://reverb.com/item/37398377-g-l-asat-classic-bluesboy-emerald-blue-metallic

spacer.png

7 hours ago, LucSulla said:

I'm going to move this one on.  I do like it quite a bit, but I've had to make a few purchases for the home and just feel a little stupid juggling things around to justify keeping a guitar that I mostly just use around the house because I like playing teles occasionally.  

Yes, I had to add material back to the screw hole for the control box, and yes it's fine.  I had a thread here where I discussed the pros and cons of it being a Paulownia body.  Overall, I think, if you really like light guitars, the pros outweigh the cons.  I've gigged it a bit and managed not to ding it, so unless you're going to go full Kurt Cobain with it, you can keep it ding free.  

Brand new Phat Cat and Jerry Donahue pup in it, and while this is personal opinion, I think that combo completely smokes the stock G&L MFD/bucker setup it had. 

I'd do $950 shipped CONUS here with PayPal gift or Venmo.  

https://reverb.com/item/37398377-g-l-asat-classic-bluesboy-emerald-blue-metallic

spacer.png

Nice looking guitar!

I’ve been looking at the G&L’s, so many neck shape and width options.... 

GLWTS

ETA: I skipped past the Reverb link and see that it’s the typical G&L carve. 

38 minutes ago, topekatj said:

Nice looking guitar!

I’ve been looking at the G&L’s, so many neck shape and width options.... 

GLWTS

ETA: I skipped past the Reverb link and see that it’s the typical G&L carve. 

Yep, feels like kind of a standard modern C to me.  Comfy, not too chunky, but not a wizard neck either (thankfully). 

One other question about the neck, the frets, actually: How do the G&L medium jumbo frets (size) compare to what Hamer used in the early 2000’s? I really like the fret size on my 2004 Junior and don’t like ‘regular jumbo’ frets at all (especially on a 24.75” scale length instrument). I realize the G&L is 25.5” scale.

17 hours ago, topekatj said:

One other question about the neck, the frets, actually: How do the G&L medium jumbo frets (size) compare to what Hamer used in the early 2000’s? I really like the fret size on my 2004 Junior and don’t like ‘regular jumbo’ frets at all (especially on a 24.75” scale length instrument). I realize the G&L is 25.5” scale.

I wish I could answer that, but I'm not sure.  The neck and frets feel more like the late 90s American strat I have than anything. I've had a couple of Hamers from that period, but it's hard to remember.  I feel like they are a touch wider than the Hamer frets from that period but about the same height, but it's been three years since I sold my last Hamer from that period.  They definitely aren't as big as the frets on my Jacksons but not dissimilar from the frets on my Explorer as well, which now that I look it up are medium jumbo as well.  These are the same frets on Gibby Juniors, but I don't know close to those Specs Hamers are.  

Found this on the Guitars by Leo message board: 

Medium Jumbo
The standard frets on all G&L guitars. A great balance, easy to chord and solo.

And:

Do you happen to know the dimensions of G&L's medium jumbo frets? And Fender's? It would be nice to see the comparison.

g&l's is .110x.055 dunlop 6100. 

fender's is .106x.036

People are all about the original pickups on these things, lol. I'm about to the point of soldering them back in.  I've had five different G&Ls over the last 22 years, and the one thing I've never liked about them are the pickups, but to each their own I suppose. 

• 1 month later...
On 12/6/2020 at 1:10 PM, LucSulla said:

People are all about the original pickups on these things, lol. I'm about to the point of soldering them back in.  I've had five different G&Ls over the last 22 years, and the one thing I've never liked about them are the pickups, but to each their own I suppose. 

In my opinion, the original pickups are the only thing I don't like about G&Ls (too hot... hot d-mn!), but buyers seem to prefer original pickups in whatever brand they are buying, as long as it is not a budget brand.

3 hours ago, HamerCustomEr said:

In my opinion, the original pickups are the only thing I don't like about G&Ls (too hot... hot d-mn!), but buyers seem to prefer original pickups in whatever brand they are buying, as long as it is not a budget brand.

I got it sold, finally.  I think the pups I put in were hotter - that Jerry Donahue is a hot mofo - though I didn't look.  I just don't like the way they sound at all. 

On 12/6/2020 at 2:10 PM, LucSulla said:

Definitely to each his own because I absolutely love the MFD pickups in my G&L guitars. 

Archived