Hamer Fan Club Message Center

PSA: 1980 Hamer Standard #0381 At DGS

Jesus...  from a short distance you can hardly even tell...  On a stage no one would even notice. They did a fantastic job with that...

8 minutes ago, topekatj said:

Maybe they could add some meat to the neck -- 1-5/8" at the nut(?)

Agreed 

I'd just re-install a Kahler!  😉

If you hadn't pointed that out, I'm sure I would have seen it at some point but talk about great work!

That neck is right up my alley, my '81 Special is 1 5/8th and 0.79 to 0.85 so 0.84 to 0.89 would be great.

Awesome Standard, think I'll head out and knock over a few banks. What, they're all closed. Ahh, liquor store? Too busy? Crap!

"
An early 80’s DiMarzio PAF bridge pickup...//
"

Last time I checked a Dimarzio PAF had slugs and screw poles, not hex poles. That looks like a Superdistorion to me.

4 hours ago, Disturber said:

"
An early 80’s DiMarzio PAF bridge pickup...//
"

Last time I checked a Dimarzio PAF had slugs and screw poles, not hex poles. That looks like a Superdistorion to me.

It is a Super Distortion. An easy fix, though. Great repair job. Top Notch!

Surely nice guitar, but somehow I do not share this "great de-kahler job" enthusiasm. That  different thickness line of mahogany or whatever that wood is that goes around the perimeter of the cavity is too ugly for my personal eye. They used nicely figured maple to patch it and ruined it with this ugly line to my opinion.

On 12/3/2020 at 2:26 PM, velorush said:

Amazing job on that Kahler patch (as opposed to re-veneering the whole guitar)!

0381.jpg0381F.jpg0381G.jpg

I have to strongly disagree on that. I think patches look horrific and destroy the value of a guitar. No way would I ever buy a guitar with that kind of job, unless it was super cheap and I could fix it properly. But for $5k?? No f'ing way. I'm sure it sounds just as well, but I couldn't get past that scar.

3 hours ago, devrock said:

I have to strongly disagree on that. I think patches look horrific and destroy the value of a guitar. No way would I ever buy a guitar with that kind of job, unless it was super cheap and I could fix it properly. But for $5k?? No f'ing way. I'm sure it sounds just as well, but I couldn't get past that scar.

I'm all ears: you are handed a Standard with a giant divot cut out of the 'hog in the bridge area.  How do you fix it (better than shown)?

Perhaps you leave the Kahler?  That certainly would look better (IMO) and I have no problem with a Kahler, but most others are not so inclined.

I think, given the situation, the repair looks great.  I don't think any solution (outside of a full veneer replacement) would look great under the scrutiny of a macro photograph.

I do agree with you on one point: for me (and also you), this is not a $5,000 guitar, but in my universe there is no such thing as a $5,000 guitar (I couldn't get $5,000 for my car if it had $3,000 in cash in the glove box).  😅

I was wondering if the fixed Kahler bridge would be a direct replacement for the trem so I looked up the website. I did not even know that Kahler had so many bridges, including 7, 8, 9, & 10 string multi scale bridges.  Talk about an eyesore...  😳

A9EA7C00-59EC-4EAE-9B84-739CE246A0CA.jpeg

918A4FB6-70BF-479C-B56A-4E9ED3D79D41.jpeg

8 hours ago, RobB said:

That's a nice one. Unfortunately,  a "smacked the door jamb-ding", on the upper bout, but ya have can't everything.

The area with the ding looks almost white, it's hard to see if the veneer is gone too. If it just the paint that is gone than a good luthier could match that burst and ad fresh nitro over that, and buff it, so it would look almost like new. For that guitar it would be worth it to fix. Not super costly.

1 hour ago, Disturber said:

The area with the ding looks almost white, it's hard to see if the veneer is gone too. If it just the paint that is gone than a good luthier could match that burst and ad fresh nitro over that, and buff it, so it would look almost like new. For that guitar it would be worth it to fix. Not super costly.

Fair enough. Just going by the seller's description. Only the buyer will know for sure.

That is an amazing repair job, darker footprint surround and all.  

I think a couple of you might be overlooking how nearly impossible it is to find a piece of figured wood laminate which comes within a mile of matching the subject you have been given and then repair it cleanly.  Even matching wood stain is like playing the lottery.  A repair of this nature which is almost invisible from a few feet away is a home run.  

And Kahlers are fucking hideous.  

Archived