Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Is this 90’s p90 special truss rod cover right ?

riffpowers

I’ve seen a p90 special for sale locally and am interested in getting it. 

But , the truss rod cover looks odd to me. I can’t remember what my old red p90 special that I used to have was like. 

The seller says it’s original , but I thought you guy would know for sure .

A3F5C798-D9B7-400B-82AE-7F7FCCA58C74.png

Yes, IIRC I have seen this style of truss rod cover (I call them "bell-bottom" style, others may call them something else) on Hamer Specials and possibly other Hamers from around 1992, give or take a year; and that was about the only time this style was used AFAIK.  I can't quite tell from your photo as it lops off the bottom of the truss rod cover in the photo; but from what I remember, the 'bottom' of this truss rod cover should be curved, and isn't straight across flush with the nut like later Hamer truss rod covers.  The truss rod covers used by Hamer on Specials before then up to about 1992 were a "bell" shape (as opposed to "bell bottom" shape) very similar to Gibson truss rod covers, and the ones used after the "bell-bottom" style were the streamlined 'pointy' shape as seen onward from about 1993.  Hope this helps!

My '92 P90 Special's TRC has the same bell shape as the one on my '82 checkerboard Special.  Bell shape meaning that it has a slight protuberance on top as if to outline a bell's hanging loop and another small protuberance at the bottom as if for a bell's clapper.  The point being, not smoothly rounded at the top like the one in the pic above.

Which is not to say that the one in the pic is not original - Hamer wasn't known to be OCD in its parts selection, at least in the non-tone-generating parts.  I bought my guitars used over the internet from strangers, so I can't say if the parts are original or not.

Yes.  It is correct - used for a very short period of time in the early '90s, and even made ads/catalog shots.

9dd49ac7c752100bce41c010c0ac650b.jpg

16 hours ago, cmatthes said:

Yes.  It is correct - used for a very short period of time in the early '90s, and even made ads/catalog shots.

9dd49ac7c752100bce41c010c0ac650b.jpg

I remember those Modern Vintage ads. There was one with a studio custom with an outrageous top that got me interested in Hamwr in the first place. 

Archived