Hamer Fan Club Message Center

RIP Charley Pride

Charley Pride made a lot of good music. 

I got my father to join the Charley Pride fan club so he could meet Charley at a show.  Charley Pride did spend time with fan club members, but he also signed autographs for everyone after his show.  He was not too big or exclusive to not meet everyone. 

I heard the news this morning.  I told my wife it brings back a lot of memories.  My parents had a best of Charlie Pride 8 track that was always in the mix when traveling in the car.  He will be missed by many.

5 hours ago, mudshark said:

One of the greats ... rip Charlie.

A good friend of mine and I were just discussing that Marty Stuart show appearance, and we agreed that Charley probably had one of the smoothest full-range baritone voices in Nashville.  It just seemed effortless for him.  His open and accommodating manner with fans certainly cemented his star status.

Now, as for the monster picker/multi-instrumentalist Marty Stuart:  As talented as he is, I've never understood why he's always felt compelled to don such ridiculous looking costumes and what I can only describe as Donald-Trump-meets-Benny-Hinn hair.  The dude can sing and play his arse off, so he's never really needed such props as compared to some other country crooners whose talent was a bit more suspect.

^^^^^ all of the above plus one.  

I met Charlie Pride some twenty years ago at a Dallas Mavericks game.  We were sitting directly in  front of him and we talked with him a bit.

Really a nice gentlemen.  If you are unfamiliar with Charlies work its worth a listen.

Rest in Peace, Charlie.

Hamerica

1 hour ago, Biz Prof said:

Now, as for the monster picker/multi-instrumentalist Marty Stuart:  As talented as he is, I've never understood why he's always felt compelled to don such ridiculous looking costumes and what I can only describe as Donald-Trump-meets-Benny-Hinn hair.  The dude can sing and play his arse off, so he's never really needed such props as compared to some other country crooners whose talent was a bit more suspect.

I just saw it as a continuation / homage to the previous generation, for example, Porter Wagoner

Porter Wagoner - Autographed Signed Photograph | HistoryForSale Item 212662

All that to say, I agree with you completely and find the attire superfluous, ridiculous and downright distracting.  🤫

Oh, and to the original point: Charlie Pride was an integral part of my 70's childhood.  His voice was always a welcome change to the nasally tenors and generally irritating and purposeful twang of the era.

You ever notice that anytime a Canadian celebrity is introduced in Canada, their name is always preceded by a big CANADA'S OWN?  "Please join us is a big round of applause for Canada's own Shania Twain!!"  Of course, Shatner and Beiber are exceptions.

Growing up in Mississippi, I remember that treatment being applied to only two people here, Archie Manning and Charlie Pride.  Both were often propped up as the best of what Mississippi had to offer and as the state's examples of anyone from anywhere finding success.

I was only eleven at the time so I wasn't invited, but I remember my parents being full of excitement when it was announced that Charlie Pride would be the inaugural concert for the opening of the Mississippi Coast Coliseum in Biloxi (11/18/1977).  That was forty-three years ago.  My wife and I dropped by my parents house last night to wish my dad a happy early birthday (he turns 86 today) and we walked in to the familiar sound of Charlie Pride youtube videos playing on their TV.

1 hour ago, velorush said:

I just saw it as a continuation / homage to the previous generation, for example, Porter Wagoner

Porter Wagoner - Autographed Signed Photograph | HistoryForSale Item 212662

2 hours ago, Biz Prof said:

as compared to some other country crooners whose talent was a bit more suspect.

I anticipated that comparison, see? 😃

I wish I could remember what came on after The Porter Wagoner Show on Sunday nights! 

All I can remember is my brother and me sitting in the living room bewildered by these bedazzled costumes and pompadours, anxiously awaiting them to shut up so we could watch whatever it was that was on next. 

In an age with only a channel or two, we were a captive audience and somehow we were certain "Skid Row Joe" was both cognizant of the fact and slowing the tempos to drag it out!

37 minutes ago, velorush said:

All I can remember is my brother and me sitting in the living room bewildered by these bedazzled costumes and pompadours, anxiously awaiting them to shut up so we could watch whatever it was that was on next.

You could say nearly the exact same as it applied to the The Lawrence Welk Show.  Perhaps substitute "pastel-colored polyester and ubiquitous accordion solos" for "bedazzled costumes and pompadours."

Legend has it that not long after moving into his mansion in Highland Park (a very ritzy part of Dallas Tx), Charlie was mowing his grass when his new neighbor waved him over and offered him $25 to mow his grass when he finished. Instead of getting offended, Charlie said "sure", and mowed it. I wonder if the guys wife came home and said "WHY IS CHARLIE PRIDE MOWING OUR LAWN?!?", ha.

A friend whose father owned a Memphis music store knew Carl Perkins.  He said Carl was mowing his lawn without wearing his toupee.  Some people drove up and asked if they were at Carl Perkins' house.  Carl said yes.  They asked if Carl Perkins would sign autographs.  Carl said something like, "I don't know, but I'll sign for you."  The fans did not recognize him, so they just went away. 

George Jones got arrested for driving drunk on a riding lawnmower. 

If you want to meet country music stars just look for who is riding a lawnmower. 

11 hours ago, Brooks said:

Legend has it that not long after moving into his mansion in Highland Park (a very ritzy part of Dallas Tx), Charlie was mowing his grass when his new neighbor waved him over and offered him $25 to mow his grass when he finished. Instead of getting offended, Charlie said "sure", and mowed it.

Awesome. Totally, AWESOME! Another unheralded, heroic act of heroism.

On 12/14/2020 at 10:45 AM, velorush said:

All that to say, I agree with you completely and find the attire superfluous, ridiculous and downright distracting

They did that so people would know who the stars where! Back in the day before television, it was just radio. You can’t see who’s singing on the radio!! So they dressed... ummm... unusual but blingy. So people wouldn’t make them mow their lawns! Or run them outa town!!!

I think it stuck and progressed into the TV years.

Archived