Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Book suggestions? (music related)

Travis

Of course, I’ve already got my copy of “The Book”...

Told my wife I wanted the Van Halen book that came out earlier this year.

Are there any others you guys know of that are “must haves” for guitar players and history buffs?  Is the Sunburst Les Paul book any good? Open to books on amps as well..

Thanks in advance 

The Blackguard Book is ridiculous in its detail.  A true coffee-table book chock full of excellent photography.  If you're interested in the minutia of early teles it will scratch every itch.  Most pages contain only photos but all the info is there as well.

Similar to Beauty of the Burst, I find it's a better resource for the occasional question than it is a cover-to-cover read.

It routinely sells for stupid aftermarket prices but you can still contact the author and buy direct.

Peter Frampton's "Do You Feel Like I Do?" and Rob Halford's "Confess" are both very good reads.  I also just read "Play It Loud", which basically covers Les Paul's and Leo Fender's stories sort of in parallel with the rise of the electric guitar.

28 minutes ago, alantig said:

Peter Frampton's "Do You Feel Like I Do?" and Rob Halford's "Confess" are both very good reads.  I also just read "Play It Loud", which basically covers Les Paul's and Leo Fender's stories sort of in parallel with the rise of the electric guitar.

Do you mean “the birth of loud”...?  I found a couple of other books titled “play it loud” but it seems like “Birth” is the one that matches your description. 

4BDB3ADC-11D3-4CD8-BBEE-D36F192D76F7.png

27 minutes ago, Jakeboy said:

Get the Stones and Beatles Gear books. Awesome pics and gear/recording details.

Upvote this post. Haven’t read the Stones book, but the Beatles Gear is an interesting read. One that you can pick up again, over and over. 

9 hours ago, Jakeboy said:

Get the Stones and Beatles Gear books. Awesome pics and gear/recording details.

Would that be the books by Andy Babiuk the bassist for the Chesterfield Kings ? If so he is the guy who gave me a few guitar lessons in the late 70’s out of the Great House of Guitars. 

1 hour ago, princeofdarkness56 said:

Would that be the books by Andy Babiuk the bassist for the Chesterfield Kings ? If so he is the guy who gave me a few guitar lessons in the late 70’s out of the Great House of Guitars. 

Those are the ones. 

I love  Mike Bloomfield's playing, he was a great musician and really the first guitar superstar. He was like Rory Gallagher in the sense that he lived and breathed music and it was always ON with him. This was a really good read.  avKyvJW.jpg

Cowboy Song (Phil Lynott)

Running w/ the Devil (VH)

Man Musician Magus (Jimmy Page)

Giants Walked the Earth (Led Zep)

100 Proof Total Truth (Panera)

Red (Sam Hagar) 

On 12/13/2020 at 12:50 PM, specialk said:

Not so much on gear, but probably the best memoir I've read is When I Left Home: My Story by Buddy Guy. Here:

https://smile.amazon.com/When-Left-Home-My-Story-ebook/dp/B007TUY0Z0/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=buddy+guy&qid=1607888891&s=digital-text&sr=1-1

Just noticed, this book is now $2.99 at Amazon. Don't know for how long.

Dug the Van Halen book  (by Noah Monk)  really liked his point of view and access...  the book on

Van Halen the early years is pretty good too...  the author is some Brandeis professor who did an 

insane amount of research on early (pre label deal) VH...  like who was asking for this info??  lol

but actually a good read.   

working my way thru the ted Templeman book... (same guy I think)   I'm not a huge van halen

fan, but I do find them interesting and Iconic,  same way with my interest in Kiss books.   

On 12/13/2020 at 2:25 PM, Dutchman said:

Willie’s got a great book!

B8AD9899-3567-4395-8203-7989644C2D64.jpeg

I'd like to read this. The Telecaster book is pretty cool. I just picked this up for $1. We'll see. https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=l&ai=DChcSEwi5lpTjvOXtAhVAgVoFHezrCyMYABAGGgJ2dQ&sig=AOD64_03q4-3PSqpS-UB0V0asfNCLWA8dA&ctype=5&q=&ved=2ahUKEwiaivfivOXtAhVyzlkKHSeqBH0Q9aACegQICRBT&adurl=

Archived