Jump to content
Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Recommended Posts

We hate you already.

Welcome to the coolest guitar forum on the webz and let me be the first to offer you a cool $350 any time you are ready to move that unicorn.

It is literally a stunning guitar. Congrats and thanks for sharing.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Camstone said:

Kinda like seeing a Unicorn. 

It does exist!!
and Welcome!!!

 

202C6FC4-6A55-4401-A1D5-8EE09D36BE5F.jpeg

Edited by Dutchman
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I still have the 2008 catalog with that Newport in it. I have lusted over that pic many times. The pages of that catalog may or may not be stuck together...

Congrats and welcome. 

Edited by Travis
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, specialk said:

So, care to tell us the story about how this found its way to you? We like stories. Pics are better of course, but words can be good too. 🙂

Certainly.  I was the Genz Benz (amplifiers) product manager years back and I worked in the marketing department along with the Hamer product manager.  He wanted a guitar amp I developed (Black Pearl) and I suggested the trade.  He agreed as long as I would wait for the guitar to come back from a magazine-review tour.  This may be the first one made but I don't know for certain.  I also came up with the name "Newport" for this series of guitars.  I came up with the name Phat Cat for the pickups on the standard Newport.  I didn't come up with the "Ph" spelling for "Fat" though.  

  • Like 9
Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Roger Hart said:

Certainly.  I was the Genz Benz (amplifiers) product manager years back and I worked in the marketing department along with the Hamer product manager.  He wanted a guitar amp I developed (Black Pearl) and I suggested the trade.  He agreed as long as I would wait for the guitar to come back from a magazine-review tour.  This may be the first one made but I don't know for certain.  I also came up with the name "Newport" for this series of guitars.  I came up with the name Phat Cat for the pickups on the standard Newport.  I didn't come up with the "Ph" spelling for "Fat" though.  

Awesome story!  And may I respectfully call “dibs” on this killer Newport. Coincidentally, I’ve got the Talladega that was used for Hamer’s promo shots and a couple months in the 2008 calendar. Would be a pretty cool pair to have a photo of both with their catalog/calendar shots next to them... 😉😉😉

8D30B146-7178-4B09-9D64-D2406A18ACC8.jpeg

Edited by Travis
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Travis said:

Awesome story!  And may I be the first to call “dibs” on this killer Newport. Coincidentally, I’ve got the Talladega that was used for Hamer’s promo shots and a couple months in the 2008 calendar. Would be a pretty cool pair to have a photo of both with their catalog/calendar shots next to them... 😉😉😉

8D30B146-7178-4B09-9D64-D2406A18ACC8.jpeg

Very nice.  I have the magazine-review Talladega.  It's my number 1 guitar.  I switched out the pups though-  I put a '59 in the neck and a Pearly Gates in the bridge.  Both with zebra bobbins.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Travis said:

Awesome story!  And may I be the first to call “dibs” on this killer Newport. Coincidentally, I’ve got the Talladega that was used for Hamer’s promo shots and a couple months in the 2008 calendar. Would be a pretty cool pair to have a photo of both with their catalog/calendar shots next to them... 😉😉😉

8D30B146-7178-4B09-9D64-D2406A18ACC8.jpeg

Very nice.  I have the magazine-review Talladega.  It's my number 1 guitar.  I switched out the pups though-  I put a '59 in the neck and a Pearly Gates in the bridge.  Both with zebra bobbins.  

Taladega.jpg

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Roger Hart said:

Very nice.  I have the magazine-review Talladega.  It's my number 1 guitar.  I switched out the pups though-  I put a '59 in the neck and a Pearly Gates in the bridge.  Both with zebra bobbins.  

Ah!  Killer!  Yeah, the Talladegas are great. One of my favorite neck profiles ever. I had a Duncan custom shop pickup in the bridge for years before throwing the stock pickup back in. The stock neck pickup is one of my all time favorite neck pickups ever. 
 

Feel free to post pics of the Tally as well. We never get tired of that kind of porn around here.

Ha!  You posted the pic as I was typing this...

😁

Edited by Travis
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Travis said:

Ah!  Killer!  Yeah, the Talladegas are great. One of my favorite neck profiles ever. I had a Duncan custom shop pickup in the bridge for years before throwing the stock pickup back in. The stock neck pickup is one of my all time favorite neck pickups ever. 
 

Feel free to post pics of the Tally as well. We never get tired of that kind of porn around here. 😁

My second post with the picture isn't showing?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Roger Hart said:

My second post with the picture isn't showing?

It shows up. You posted it while I was typing...

Did you keep the stock 4-way switch with the pickup swap or did you change that out, too?  I know a lot of the guys that have dropped traditional humbuckers in their Tally’s have gone to a 3-way. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Travis said:

It shows up. You posted it while I was typing...

Did you keep the stock 4-way switch with the pickup swap or did you change that out, too?  I know a lot of the guys that have dropped traditional humbuckers in their Tally’s have gone to a 3-way. 

 

Kept it with the four-way.  From rear to front it goes:  bridge pup, both pups parallel, neck pup, both pups in series.  

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...