Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Shipping!!

Dutchman

Goner, beat me too it!  😉  That shipping container thing is crazy, wow! Well, when Reavers show up along the coastline first, we'll know what the source was... 

Our two neighbors both work at USPS here in Central, OH-IO. They weren't authorized for overtime but were still there longer than they were getting paid for. Now, post a certain date in early November they're getting overtime and gone all day long getting home late. In fact one of them used to drive, now works inside (sorting and such) and he volunteered to go back to driving just to deliver the glut! 

And as per the above, UPS and FedEx are overwhelmed too, let alone Amazon and their own shipping/delivery setups. I would suspect the lower volume of commercial air traffic plays a role here too for the USPS specifically. 

This time of year was always shaking for shipping anything extra (like recently bought/sold music gear) but this year, yikes! Forget about it... 

I have a shipment of guitar templates coming from the Chicago area... shipped on November 30. They fell into a black hole at the Palantine USPS distribution center and I haven't had any updates since the 12th.  Shit is slooooooooooow right now. 

2 hours ago, Drew816 said:

Our two neighbors both work at USPS here in Central, OH-IO. They weren't authorized for overtime but were still there longer than they were getting paid for.

That’s illegal. Where TF is their union?

On 12/16/2020 at 3:51 PM, beezerboy said:

like it or not, done on purpose by Postmaster General Louis DeJoy

100% unadulterated bull$hit! It is due to the overwhelming volume of items people have ordered due to the pandemic. The channels weren't designed for such. All carriers are swamped. The PG has no control over FedX or UPS.

The Mrs and I have had two Amazon orders lost in the past month. Hers in transit from Dallas. Mine in a USPS facility in Denver. Load seems to be outpacing transport capacity everwhere.

8 hours ago, hamerican gigolo said:

100% unadulterated bull$hit! It is due to the overwhelming volume of items people have ordered due to the pandemic. The channels weren't designed for such. All carriers are swamped. The PG has no control over FedX or UPS.

I am no fan of the Lost Office, or any of the other major shipping companies for that matter (my run-ins with them all are well-documented), but they have been stretched as thin as one can imagine during this Craptastic-2020 Covid-19 Extravagonzo.

Between the mail in election ballots, people doing their grocery shopping on Amazon (gotta admit, I do a little of that myself), Black Friday, Black Monday, Christmas holiday purchases... plain ol' boredom purchases (again...me)...  The occasional parcel is going to get lost or even dropped to the bottom of the ocean.
They all deserve a little slack.

2 hours ago, kizanski said:

Between the mail in election ballots, people doing their grocery shopping on Amazon (gotta admit, I do a little of that myself), Black Friday, Black Monday, Christmas holiday purchases... plain ol' boredom purchases (again...me)...  The occasional parcel is going to get lost or even dropped to the bottom of the ocean.
They all deserve a little slack.

I agree. I worked at RPS years ago in between jobs for a while in a sort facility(they were bought by FedEx for their Ground operation).  That was like 20 some years ago and during the holiday times. It was ridiculous trying to get that volume of things out and correctly.   I can't imagine how it is now.

1 hour ago, G Man said:

spacer.png

And for folks who like to complain about Amtrak, they should be enlightened to the fact that the quasi-government rail carrier transports a metric shit-ton of parcels for all of the above via contracts with the USPS.

55 minutes ago, cynic said:

Or...maybe not?

Well, shit fire. I thought the 2004 decision was just related to standard bulk mail and not parcels. My bad. 

ETA: Looks like it moved from Amtrak to hot shot intermodal trains run by the freight railroad in 2004.

But there are still the unforced errors.  I ordered car parts on 8 Dec.  They left MA that day, RI on 9 Dec, CT on 10 Dec, and arrived in Birmingham AL on 11 Dec - nice.  Birmingham is where my mail comes from since they closed a nearer-by regional sorting center a few years ago.  Next update was 15 Dec, en route to next location.  And today, 21 Dec, my package just left Birmingham - again.

On 12/17/2020 at 8:11 PM, slingblader said:

I have a shipment of guitar templates coming from the Chicago area... shipped on November 30. They fell into a black hole at the Palantine USPS distribution center and I haven't had any updates since the 12th.  Shit is slooooooooooow right now. 

Hey!!!!!! My shipment from Chicago arrived today! That's 3 weeks to the day from Chicago to the South Bend, Indiana area.

I certainly don't want to be too critical, I wouldn't want to work in that industry. I'm honestly impressed that things haven't gotten worse sooner than this.

I'm finding ups is running somewhat close to normal  (sent something from NH to PA thursday, got their

saturday)     usps different story,    I normally think they are a very good deal on small things,  but the delays

and lack of tracking are pretty bad,    did the packages just go off the grid (lost) or will they all show up in

January?  

edit:  interesting article from the wash post,   pretty bad backup.  

USPS struggles to deliver mail by Christmas - The Washington Post

On Nov. 28 I ordered the UFO, "Strangers...", boxed set from amazon.co.uk. The vendor is in Germany. DHL is the carrier. My account alerts say it will arrive by Jan. 5. So, five weeks from Europe to Oakland? Seems about right, am I right?

• 3 months later...

Archived