Hamer Fan Club Message Center

PSA CList centaura purple flamed maple

$1,000 each for a Charvel Model 6 and a 3DR...?  COCV right there. I know the prices have gone up a bit since I was buying and trading Japanese Charvels years ago.  But those were $350 guitars all day long. MAYBE $600 now with inflation...

And I’ve never seen a Centaura with that configuration before. Almost thought it was a Cent neck on a Cali body but it doesn’t have the contours on the upper and lower horns. Interesting...

7 minutes ago, Travis said:

$1,000 each for a Charvel Model 4 and a 3DR...?  COCV right there. I know the prices have gone up a bit since I was buying and trading Japanese Charvela years ago.  But those were $350 guitars all day long. MAYBE $600 now with inflation...

And I’ve never seen a Centaura with with configuration before. Almost thought it was a Cent neck on a Cali body but it doesn’t have the contours on the upper and lower horns. Interesting...

I'd say that is a Hamer Centaura neck on some other kind of body.

It's not impossible, and my knowledge of Hamer isn't anywhere near the best of this website, but that's my gut reaction opinion.

YMMV

21 minutes ago, Nathan of Brainfertilizer Fame said:

I'd say that is a Hamer Centaura neck on some other kind of body.

It's not impossible, and my knowledge of Hamer isn't anywhere near the best of this website, but that's my gut reaction opinion.

YMMV

Cali, maybe?

00W0W_fX72gnxnZKU_0t20CI_1200x900.jpg

43 minutes ago, Travis said:

$1,000 each for a Charvel Model 4 and a 3DR...?  COCV right there. I know the prices have gone up a bit since I was buying and trading Japanese Charvels years ago.  But those were $350 guitars all day long. MAYBE $600 now with inflation...

And I’ve never seen a Centaura with that configuration before. Almost thought it was a Cent neck on a Cali body but it doesn’t have the contours on the upper and lower horns. Interesting...

I remember buying 2 Model 2`s off the same guy for $150 shipped for 1 and $175 shipped for the other, both with Charvel chainsaw cases. Both were in fantatsic condition. I regret selling those, great guitars.

The Cali had scallops on the body, not the fretboard, on the inner curve of each horn, I guess for improved high fret access. This doesn't have any carves.

But, hey, Hamer would do custom stuff, so many someone didn't want them?

The only thing is, even that purple color wasn't really in the Hamer palette at the time, yellow (aztec gold), green, red, salmon blush, even blue, but I don't recall ever seeing a trans purple over flamed maple Hamer guitar.

3 hours ago, Nathan of Brainfertilizer Fame said:

no scallops

This. The horn cutaways both aren't beveled:

20191213_211448.jpg

20191213_211451.jpg

21 hours ago, velorush said:

Cali, maybe?

00W0W_fX72gnxnZKU_0t20CI_1200x900.jpg

I know that VR had at least a couple of custom orders that were mash-ups of the Centaura and Cali.  I guess it's possible that this is a later-90s C.O. with novel specs.

Crackle Charvel, red/black crackle I mean, looks like it's Model6. In this case $1000 is very real, even a bit under. I have Model5 and Model6 in the same paint scheme, new condition, and was offered $2K for both, by one of the Jackson guys. Just couldn't let it go.
   And the body on that Cent...damn, it does look like a Cali body with no scallops and no pickup ring. Aftermarket body? But who would do such a thing? May be I'll ask for more pics of the body

1 hour ago, JustKid said:

Crackle Charvel, red/black crackle I mean, looks like it's Model6. In this case $1000 is very real, even a bit under. I have Model5 and Model6 in the same paint scheme, new condition, and was offered $2K for both, by one of the Jackson guys. Just couldn't let it go.
   And the body on that Cent...damn, it does look like a Cali body with no scallops and no pickup ring. Aftermarket body? But who would do such a thing? May be I'll ask for more pics of the body

Man...  that is just crazy for a Model 6. Can’t believe they’ve gotten up to that price point now. Hell, I got my 650xl for $800 brand new. I mean, yeah, that was back in ‘92 and there’s inflation and all...  but still. The Model 6 has the less sought after JT6 trem and the 3 mini toggles instead of the 5-way blade of the updated toothpaste logo version. (Yours being in new condition I can accept that price a bit easier)

That being said, I suppose someone could prefer the mini toggles and a real Floyd is supposed to be a drop in replacement for the JT6...

Ok, just checked an inflation rate calendar. $800 in 1992 is almost $1,500 in today’s money. I guess $1,000 for a Charvel Model 6 in “like new” condition isn’t out of hand. Man...  I’ve been out of the Charvel game so long I went and got old and thought it was still 2003...

Seems like I paid $650 for a brand new Model 3 in 1986 and $400 for a like new (but used) 3A (HH) the month before.  I just had to have a Floyd!  

They were spectacular guitars for the money back then (IMO).  I much preferred the aesthetics of the Ibanez (friend's shop was a dealer of both), but I much preferred the Charvel neck.

52 minutes ago, Travis said:

. Hell, I got my 650xl for $800 brand new. I mean, yeah, that was back in ‘92 and there’s inflation and all...

Always wanted 650XL. Even 4-5 years ago they went for $1100-1200. But figured having 2 LE91s covers that territory

The piping on the case is too thick & the handle seems wonky... why would a custom order not have an OHSC?

Every case this guy has is exactly the same... further adds to the mystery.

No stadium logo either... bout of the body doesn't look right either. It would have had to be a custom order that occurred much after Hamer stopped producing Cents, Diablos or even Calis. That would explain for the weird looking case, the small logo and the strange configuration... only one knob and the 5 way switch is entirely in the wrong place.

You'd think the listing would read: CUSTOM Centaura since there is no way in hell this was a production model... Custom Hamers always fetch a higher price than production models... why list it simply as a Purple Centaura?

The only thing Centaura-esque is the fingerboard and bridge pickup routing. The routing for the Schaller tremolo is correct as far as I can tell... that's a good attention to detail that usually doesn't occur in after-market transformations... after-market transformations usually ditch the Schaller tremolo for a OFR.

It's quite puzzling.

On 12/16/2020 at 2:32 PM, Nathan of Brainfertilizer Fame said:

The only thing is, even that purple color wasn't really in the Hamer palette at the time, yellow (aztec gold), green, red, salmon blush, even blue, but I don't recall ever seeing a trans purple over flamed maple Hamer guitar.

Hamer would do any finish you want for an upcharge.  This is a trans purple over flame from the '90s.

Image may contain: one or more people, guitar and outdoor

Hamer had stopped using the “STADIUM” logo by 1996, so that could be an original to the neck decal.   It’s an unbeveled Cali body, so the mystery deepens...

He claims it is a Californian body, claims it was factory installed.

Showed a picture of the back, and it checks out (looks like a Cali Elite back).

I'm going to take a shot. If he accepts my offer, I guess I'll find out what that body really is.

Archived