Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Is this for real?

The headstock shape, logo, dual truss rods from a B12, the shape of the control cavity plate all check out. Weird inlays. Just when you thought you'd seen all the wacky stuff they made...

Maybe better-informed folks can spot signs of deepfakery but it looks legit but unappealing form my Hamer bass experience.

15 minutes ago, polara said:

The headstock shape, logo, dual truss rods from a B12, the shape of the control cavity plate all check out. Weird inlays. Just when you thought you'd seen all the wacky stuff they made...

Maybe better-informed folks can spot signs of deepfakery but it looks legit but unappealing form my Hamer bass experience.

Yeah, I think it’s real. Was wondering about the Spector bridge and control layout. They’ve done some wacky stuff.

The inlays are probably Spector decals.

Twelfth fret inlay is D-AN M-CKL-Y... where the heck do you get or make Spector inlays? Maybe Dian Mackley (?) wanted an Explorer-shaped Spector, they said "hell, no," and this happened. So. Many. Questions.

10 minutes ago, polara said:

Twelfth fret inlay is D-AN M-CKL-Y... where the heck do you get or make Spector inlays? Maybe Dian Mackley (?) wanted an Explorer-shaped Spector, they said "hell, no," and this happened. So. Many. Questions.

Looks like “Dean Mickley” to me...

Reverb ad shows it’s for sale out of Westville, IN. 

Apparently, Dean has also lived in Naperville, just a few minutes from me...

4FE3CBC7-EEF6-4348-95F5-9B84A60A56DE.png

836BC6CB-1959-4AB2-AA9E-295DB752AFC1.png

Whiskey tells me that’s from 1994.

"Ok what we have here is my personal bass for ever..."
Well, apparently not.

"Hamer repair..."
Yeah, no, it isn't.

"... make me a offer..."
I'll help you throw it in the dumpster, since it's so heavy.

I'm sure that bass has stories to tell. If it were sentient, and could talk, of course.

It would be interesting if the owner would post here and give us the history. 

The Boys from Illinoizz were an excellent and very popular bar band in the early 80s.  I believe they opened for Cheap Trick (and other big touring bands). A close Hamer connection would not be surprising.

1 hour ago, BadgerDave said:

The Boys from Illinoizz were an excellent and very popular bar band in the early 80s.  I believe they opened for Cheap Trick (and other big touring bands). A close Hamer connection would not be surprising.

Is he claiming he was in the Boyzz? I don't remember him in any of the incarnations- Dave Angel was the original bassist. 

Archived