Hamer Fan Club Message Center

FSA: '79 Sunburst on Reverb

That first SUNBURST is a really pretty guitar but that price...................they will be hanging onto that guitar for awhile. The second guitar the Natural finished B&C'd Sunburst is also a very cool guitar although obviously not in the same condition..................I thought that was sold here on HFC awhile ago for under that price. I bought and sold my Black Kahlered 79 Sunburst the one on the left for just the same amount [$1,200.00] I bought it for and I was OK with that. The second Black 79 Sunburst on the right I bought I paid $1,600.00 for and sold it for $2,000.00 which I also thought was a great price for that guitar. I can understand the very rare early first issue STANDARDS going for big money but some of the the other asking prices you see on these Hamer guitars are pretty out of hand to say the least.TUGhB1d.jpg

1 hour ago, The Shark said:

I won't lie.  I paid $2,800 for the Bob Mann Model.  Here are a couple of pics...

5mU60n3.jpg

6gW0IUE.jpg

Is it just me or the angle of the pic that makes it look like the sustain block and bridge humbucker are not lined up evenly...?  The neck pickup seems to line up just fine. The first pic looks pretty much straight on but it’s gotta be the angle, right...?

21 hours ago, Travis said:

Is it just me or the angle of the pic that makes it look like the sustain block and bridge humbucker are not lined up evenly...?  The neck pickup seems to line up just fine. The first pic looks pretty much straight on but it’s gotta be the angle, right...?

It's the pic...

• 3 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Bennyboy-UK said:

I’d really like a nice sunburst ideally a 78 - I don’t know much about them though. Wasn’t there an improvement in construction between 78 and 79 or something?

The 3-piece neck and true Sustainblock were featured in ‘79.  They later switched from the heavier Grovers to Schallers.

On 12/19/2020 at 8:18 AM, ARM OF HAMER said:

That first SUNBURST is a really pretty guitar but that price...................they will be hanging onto that guitar for awhile. The second guitar the Natural finished B&C'd Sunburst is also a very cool guitar although obviously not in the same condition..................I thought that was sold here on HFC awhile ago for under that price. I bought and sold my Black Kahlered 79 Sunburst the one on the left for just the same amount [$1,200.00] I bought it for and I was OK with that. The second Black 79 Sunburst on the right I bought I paid $1,600.00 for and sold it for $2,000.00 which I also thought was a great price for that guitar. I can understand the very rare early first issue STANDARDS going for big money but some of the the other asking prices you see on these Hamer guitars are pretty out of hand to say the least.TUGhB1d.jpg

I owned a black Sunburst when I was in my late teens and I bought it from a guitarist that was in a very popular band on the regional club circuit. He was a Strat guy and he bought it because he was also a Martin Barre fan who was endorsing Sunbursts. 

The headstock had been repaired from a partial break right at where the nut met the headstock ( he disclosed this to me before I bought it) I never had any issues with it staying in tune or anything.

I believe it was a 78 or 79. 

I only kept it for about a year, never kept any photos of it but I honestly can't remember if it was bound and crowned or just dot inlays. I eventually sold it to a guy I knew that was  left handed and he liked it for obvious reasons that he could basically flip it over and he had a cool guitar. I paid 400 for it and I think I let it go for that. 

I do remember it having a checkerboard decal or something right under "Sunburst". I don't seem to see many at all if any with that checkerboard thing on the logo. Based on that description, anyone know what I had back then?

The checkerboard logo was only on Specials in the early ‘80s.

6 minutes ago, cmatthes said:

The checkerboard logo was only on Specials in the early ‘80s.

I will stand corrected. I know for a fact that this Sunburst was a late 70's or perhaps built as late as 1980 as I bought it in 1981.  It had the keyhole saddle bridge but for some reason I thought I remembered it having the checkerboard near the logo as well. As I said earlier, I can't if it was a dot or bound and crowned fingerboard so I could be confusing the checkerboard with the 92 special I owned. It has been a while for sure. 

On 12/18/2020 at 4:17 PM, Joe G said:

There's another that's crowned and bound in natural on CL w OHSC for $2k

https://worcester.craigslist.org/msg/d/winchendon-1979-hamer-sunburst/7233898520.html

image.png

I had this guitar for sale here for a while and this is my Craigslist ad too.  It ended up going to Guitar Center in a trade, where its now listed at 2,799.00.  Great sounding guitar and extremely resonant.

Archived