Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Never Thought I'd Let It Go- "Willy G" Standard

“Willy G.” Named after the HD logo that emblazons the fretboard (and my Harley Dyna Wide Glide) This is a superb example of HEL custom-built luthiery in the form of a ‘70’s Hamer Standard with a few unique twists 😉. 25.5 inch scale, 24 jumbo frets, Solid one piece mahogany body with a slightly deeper cut away on the lower horn for better upper fret access, set mahogany neck ( scuffed w/ 0000 steel wool to give a satin finish feel, hence the duller patina) with graphite stabilizer rods (comfy medium C profile ) and ebony board and single, neon green HD skull inlay. And then it really gets interesting. Seymour Duncan custom shop Jazz in the neck, Josh Gravelin-modified SD Pegasus in the bridge. (Think: a meaty, fuller sounding, Floyd specific JB) German-made Orig. Floyd Rose, FR fat brass block, two volumes, 1 tone/kill switch pot, Schaller Sure Claw adjustable spring claw & Hipshot open tuners.

Clean as hell save for one minor scratch near the spring cavity. Might buff out, might not. Dunno. No one sees the back! :P

Comes with Floyd arm, back plate, in a pristine SKB form-fitting hard case and HEL hang tag. $1900.00 plus shipping (hint: this thing w/ it's case ain't light)

IMG_3212.jpeg

IMG_3214.jpeg

IMG_3215.jpeg

IMG_3216.jpeg

IMG_3217.jpeg

IMG_3218.jpeg

IMG_3219.jpeg

IMG_3221.jpeg

IMG_3222.jpeg

IMG_3227.jpeg

13 hours ago, RobB said:

That's a bitchin guitar. What does the Sure-claw do?

Sure Claw allows to you adjust the spring tension without disconnecting the springs or even taking the cavity cover off. The Allen wrench for the Floyd nut is used to adjust the tension and is helpful if you live in a locale that has wide variances in atmospheric conditions (or if you tour).

The only down side is I noticed a discernible change in sustain and resonance when I took delivery of it. But I found that by removing the rubber matting under it I was able to all but eliminate the issue.

Screen Shot 2020-12-21 at 5.55.39 PM.png

5 hours ago, diablo175 said:

Sure Claw allows to you adjust the spring tension without disconnecting the springs or even taking the cavity cover off.

Screen Shot 2020-12-21 at 5.55.39 PM.png

That’s a clever device. No more balancing act with the claw anchors. GLWTS. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/24/2020 at 6:46 AM, 79Sunburst said:

I'd also have to install some green  vinyl fret markers. I have a difficult time playing guitars with no or very few fret markers.  I'd have a blast with this axe. 

I hear ya- with my vision diminishing and my refusal to wear glasses on stage while performing (I'll wear shorts... but not glasses :P), I struggled with that, too. Side dots sometimes just aren't enough, especially in the less-than-optimal lighting on stage. Ya know, when ya REALLY need it...

That's why I opted for LEDs on some recent builds ;)

Archived