Hamer Fan Club Message Center

A guy that was in a band called Piper w/ Billy Squier sent me a photo of his Standard.

79Sunburst

3 hours ago, Ua D said:

Is it for sale?

I apologize, not that I am aware. I mostly read the board and this was my first post.  I intended to post this on the main discussion forum.  Not sure of the year but I saw them open for KISS in 1978 and he had it so I am assuming it is a 76-78 . I asked about it and he sent me the pic. It was the first Hamer I had seen live and the 3 pickups always made it a special Standard to me. 

Ace Frehley should have played that one!!

The tailpiece looks like it is place waaay back, compared to on a normal 4-digit Standard. Usually the tailpeice is placed next to the neck volume control. This looks like it is place down next to the bridge volume control. What is up with that? 

And 4-digits have the bridge pup closer to the bridge than later Standards. Hamer put the pickup with the same distance to the bridge as on the 1950's Explorers. This makes 4-digits a bit bright on the bridge pup. But on this one the bridge pickup seems to be placed right by the bridge. That will be super bright. Still, a very cool guitar.

3 minutes ago, Disturber said:

Ace Frehley should have played that one!!

The tailpiece looks like it is place waaay back, compared to on a normal 4-digit Standard. Usually the tailpeice is placed next to the neck volume control. This looks like it is place down next to the bridge volume control. What is up with that? 

And 4-digits have the bridge pup closer to the bridge than later Standards. Hamer put the pickup with the same distance to the bridge as on the 1950's Explorers. This makes 4-digits a bit bright on the bridge pup. But on this one the bridge pickup seems to be placed right by the bridge. That will be super bright. Still, a very cool guitar.

Wow! Didn't even notice. You're right.  I have a photo showing the headstock. I think it has the arena logo. I'll try to post it. 

Cool axe!

The tailpiece further to the back was a "thing" in the 70s. You'd see a lot of trap tail 330/335s/Sheratons converted to stud like this. Once Larry Carlton did it, well... WHY the further back location, the age old question. Some claim Larry had it placed back where the original Trapeze ended to not alter the tone. Others claim he liked the sustain of the stud but didn't want to alter the string tension and feel. Others claim it was the Illuminati planning ahead giving Gibson yet another artist limited edition guitar they could overcharge for. 😉 

Not sure if this is why it was done in this case with the Piper Standard, but ya know, guitar "fads" come and go. 

10 hours ago, 79Sunburst said:

Screenshot_20201220-184724.png

12 minutes ago, Drew816 said:

Not sure if this is why it was done in this case with the Piper Standard, but ya know, guitar "fads" come and go. 

Ruins the look of an otherwise outrageous 4-digit.

What does the factory headstock personalization read?  I can't tell - it's a bit blurry on my monitor.

39 minutes ago, cmatthes said:

What does the factory headstock personalization read?  I can't tell - it's a bit blurry on my monitor.

I want to know this also. I thought it was a sticker. I will ask him and see if he responds. 

1 hour ago, kizanski said:

"Perfect sense"?  You sure about that?l

Here is his 335. Never seen one with 3 humbuckers before either. He recorded the first Piper album on this. I kinda see why he had the tailpiece on the Standard positioned that way. He was used to it on his 335. Using his palm to tremolo the strings. 

Screenshot_20201225-155130.png

Archived