Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Hamer SS series 1

SavageGuitars

Question

9 answers to this question

It wasn't made for the NAMM show, and it isn't an '84.  That guitar originally had white/gold (powdercoated) hardware, which was an upcharge in '85-'87, but somebody swapped out the original hardware for black hardware in the last decade or so.

I'm very familiar with that one, as are a few other folks here.

On 1/5/2021 at 11:06 AM, cmatthes said:

It wasn't made for the NAMM show, and it isn't an '84.  That guitar originally had white/gold (powdercoated) hardware, which was an upcharge in '85-'87, but somebody swapped out the original hardware for black hardware in the last decade or so.

I'm very familiar with that one, as are a few other folks here.

Do you have any other info on it and thank you

It’s been owned by several people on this board who might be able to speak more to any specific details.  I’m just aware that the rare white/gold hardware was stripped off and replaced with the more common black hardware at some point.

12 hours ago, cmatthes said:

It’s been owned by several people on this board who might be able to speak more to any specific details.  I’m just aware that the rare white/gold hardware was stripped off and replaced with the more common black hardware at some point.

Do you know where I might be able to source original white/gold hardware from and was the Floyd Rose also that colour ?

The white/gold (Powdercoated) hardware is incredibly rare, which is probably why it was stripped off of the SS-1 by a prior owner.  The Floyd was powdercoated in white as well.  This option was only offered between '85-'87 and was a catalog upcharge - not super popular at the time, so they dropped it and had a lot of left over inventory that collected dust at the Hamer shop for the next decade or so.

As far as where to source it, I am not sure that there's all that much out there.  My brother had several skids of N.O.S. white/gold Hamer/Schaller tuners (I have no idea how many sets), and may have had some Floyd parts, but I think he's sold off most of those.  It's possible that Peter or somebody else here has something kicking around in a parts bin, but it wasn't widely available, since Hamer sent the parts out themselves to a local Chicago-area powdercoating shop (since Schaller wouldn't do it).

As much as I cringe to post ANYTHING from the mostly BS Ed Roman site, this was all I could pull up in a pinch:

http://romanguitars.com/v/hamer-usa-steve-stevens-1985/P1595

22 hours ago, cmatthes said:

The white/gold (Powdercoated) hardware is incredibly rare, which is probably why it was stripped off of the SS-1 by a prior owner.  The Floyd was powdercoated in white as well.  This option was only offered between '85-'87 and was a catalog upcharge - not super popular at the time, so they dropped it and had a lot of left over inventory that collected dust at the Hamer shop for the next decade or so.

As far as where to source it, I am not sure that there's all that much out there.  My brother had several skids of N.O.S. white/gold Hamer/Schaller tuners (I have no idea how many sets), and may have had some Floyd parts, but I think he's sold off most of those.  It's possible that Peter or somebody else here has something kicking around in a parts bin, but it wasn't widely available, since Hamer sent the parts out themselves to a local Chicago-area powdercoating shop (since Schaller wouldn't do it).

As much as I cringe to post ANYTHING from the mostly BS Ed Roman site, this was all I could pull up in a pinch:

http://romanguitars.com/v/hamer-usa-steve-stevens-1985/P1595

Thank you for the knowledge and help, I appreciate it.

Archived