Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Wifes and wishes

6 minutes ago, scottcald said:

Hopefully you didn't get cards for the Human Fund.  

Not gonna lie, I had to look it up. So, no. Nothing remotely like that. :D

44 minutes ago, cynic said:

Either version is worth the same 11 points in Scrabble

Sure, if you play silly games.  :P

15 hours ago, scottcald said:

@Jeff R Looks cool.  That's a crazy control layout.  

Yeah, haha, reminds me of a period jukebox. Each pickup has an on/off switch. There are three master tone switches - normal, treble rolled down (dark) and bass rolled down (!). The blue switches are on/offs for rhythm/lead circuits, separate vols, akin to a Jag or a JM. The small chrome knob is rhythm volume. The black slider along the bottom of the pickguard is lead volume (!). From the catalog.

$325 MSRP in the mid 1960s is about $2,800 today.

JqBQYTELMliMMArOf6-EOjlBqD4z4ad9i6L9BnK4

23 hours ago, Jeff R said:

Each pickup has an on/off switch. There are three master tone switches - normal, treble rolled down (dark) and bass rolled down (!). The blue switches are on/offs for rhythm/lead circuits, separate vols, akin to a Jag or a JM. The small chrome knob is rhythm volume. The black slider along the bottom of the pickguard is lead volume (!).

I can't imagine why they weren't more popular.

Hagstrom's primary claim to fame, at least for bassists, was as a progenitor of eight-string basses. Joe Osborn played on on "McArthur Park", of all things.

The best known name associated with Hagtröm’s eight-string bass  was Noel Redding of the Jimi Hendrix Experience, who played a Cherry Red example on the Axis: Bold As Love album (released in December 1967) and in concert. He also utilized the instrument as a prop for a pantomimed video of “Burning of the Midnight Lamp” from the Electric Ladyland album.

2. Hagstrom Noel REdding Gear.jpg

Other players reportedly included Andy Kulberg of the Blues Project and Danny McCullough of Eric Burdon and the Animals.

Hendrix himself experimented with a Hagström eight-string bass in 1967 when he jammed in the studio with his former band, Curtis Knight and the Squires.

And son of a gun, Lemmy played one on a late '70s "Top of the Pops" show.

I happened to own a '70 (first year?) Guild S-100 that had a (original) Hagstrom vibrato like the one shown on this thread. Methinks those were very short-lived on Guilds.

On 12/30/2020 at 1:18 PM, diablo175 said:

ETA- blame it on my 27 years as a public school teacher but... it's wives.  :P

Blame it to Mrs. Ochsendorf, my english teacher in highschool... 😇

1 hour ago, Montelovesco said:

Blame it to Mrs. Ochsendorf, my english teacher in highschool... 😇

Schade!

Well, I suppose you should get a grammar/spelling pardon, given you're a gebürtiger deutscher.  ;)  I've heard many non-English speakers comment on how confusing English is. And that really confuses things if you're trying to learn German as I did in high school. :P

1 hour ago, diablo175 said:

Schade!

Well, I suppose you should get a grammar/spelling pardon, given you're a gebürtiger deutscher.  ;)  I've heard many non-English speakers comment on how confusing English is. And that really confuses things if you're trying to learn German as I did in high school. :P

Thanks! And frankly, there could be another reason for misspelling „wife“, but that one is nsfw... 🤓

14 hours ago, BubbaVO said:

That’s cool....what do those pups bring to the sonic equation?

Set-neck, sculpted heel mahogany construction with 60s single coils? As close to Brian May's "Red Special" as I'll get for now. Even has a vibrato that looks like it was made from a motorcycle kickstand, just like Dr. May's :)

Back (2).jpg

Back (6).jpg

Electronics (2).jpg

We were fortunate enough to move into our dream home a few months back. The better half got me two nice handmade guitar case stands that hold 5-7 cases each. Also a new 32" monitor. Still getting everything situated but it's nice to finally have the space to setup a decent work space and not be concerned about getting to loud.

Edit1.jpg

edit2.jpg

edit3.jpg

edit5.jpg

On 12/31/2020 at 4:47 PM, Jeff R said:

Body3 (2).jpg

Oh, my!  At first glance, my brain interpreted the control panel with all the switches on it as a foreign object  just resting on the guitar, not the actual controls.  What a layout!  I was too focused on that black protractor on the pickguard!

On 1/2/2021 at 12:59 PM, Jeff R said:

Set-neck, sculpted heel mahogany construction with 60s single coils? As close to Brian May's "Red Special" as I'll get for now. Even has a vibrato that looks like it was made from a motorcycle kickstand, just like Dr. May's :)

Electronics (2).jpg

With that ACC. VOLUME knob and blue ACC switch, are you sure this isn't one half of the famed Hagstrom Polkameister guitar/accordion set that lets the bandleader guitarist cue the electronic accordion and control its volume? If so that's a really rare find.

On 12/25/2020 at 10:58 AM, Montelovesco said:

Can‘t help but it reminds me of the DSKY they used on Apollo... (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollo_Guidance_Computer) 😌

Fun fact:  One of the early pioneers of analog synths (Don Buchla) worked on analog computing for NASA (guidance systems?) before building out a line of synths, so his build quality and aesthetic were influenced by the space program (at least indirectly).

Archived