Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Brontosaurus

mudshark

Huh. Orange amps.

Orange amps were something that did NOT impinge on my consciousness until about 10 years ago. Everyone knows Marshall, I'd heard of Mesa Boogie, Ampeg, Acoustic, Carvin, peavey, Vox was of course a legend...but I had no idea why Orange was a brand name amp at all.

I'd never heard of anyone playing Orange amps.

I guess I figured they were some Johnny-come-lately trying to be a knock of Marshalls or something. (I also thought the same thing when I first encountered Randall amps)

And here they are in a 1970 video.

9 minutes ago, Nathan of Brainfertilizer Fame said:

Orange amps were something that did NOT impinge on my consciousness until about 10 years ago.

You're not alone.  I first read something about the Tiny Terror when looking for a low-watt option maybe a dozen years ago.  

I was aware of them, but had never actually seen one in person until the Reverend Billy G. was sporting a wall of them* on the Rhythmeen tour ('96-ish?).  

This video was pretty informative on the history and sound:

*ETA: ostensibly.  Could have just been cabinets with the JMP-1 preamp and the EQ-voodoo as in later Rig Rundowns... 

1 hour ago, LucSulla said:

First time I ever saw an Orange amp was in this video. 

And somewhat famously I might add, given that Iommi was a dedicated Laney user.  I first saw that video as an MTV "Closet Classics" feature in '84.

I recall a more recent interview with Iommi where he claims that the sound stage where Sabbath was contracted to perform those songs for video recording purposes had the Orange backline set up when they arrived. He didn't seem amused, but apparently soldiered on. 

CV Lloyd music store in downtown Champaign IL had an Orange (OR120?) stack on the floor in or around 1976. I remember the wacky graphics for the controls. I also remember it was way out of my price range.

Okay, it's interesting how in all three of these performance videos, EVERY amp is an Orange, including bass amps.

That doesn't seem typical, although I will admit I'm ignorant of amp usage in the very early 70s.

It seems more likely that a bassist would prefer something different, or that the lead guitarist might have some different preference.

Just like how unusual it is to see both guitarists and the bassist all playing the exact same body shape/style guitar/bass.

Seeing *only* Orange amps makes me think they were chosen for their striking appearance for the video and not actually/normally used to play the songs...or that the amps were supplied by the venue for that performance, and they just used what was available after twiddling the knobs to get their personal sound.

Or that there was some sort of endorsement going on: "we'll give you these amps for free if you *all* use them in the performance you are video recording tonight".

12 minutes ago, Steve Haynie said:

I have my doubts the Osmonds really made people go out and buy Marshalls. 

Donnie Osmond can actually sing music that could be hard rock or metal, but his image prevented him from ever being able to do that. 

Crazy Horses was pretty much a metal album.

1 hour ago, Steve Haynie said:

Be careful about connecting performers with brands based on old videos.  Sometimes the guitars and amps were provided by a television she's production crew.  Bands came in and used what was set up for them.  Concert videos are more reliable.

That's exactly what happened with that Sabbath video.  Nonetheless, seeing that video on MTV in the late 80s is the first time I ever saw an Orange amp. 

I also subsequently got into Matt Pike's various bands, and he's been known to use an Orange or two. 

Love how Cheap Trick incorporated these riffs into another Move song they covered, California Man.  Very cool!  On a side note, in a recent Guitar Player magazine article about the song Surrender, Rick mentioned that he owns and used the very first Orange amp ever made on some of the early CT albums.  

Archived