Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Hamer Studio output jack replacement?

stobro

Question

The output jack on my 2001 Studio has always been a little weak making contact with any plug, foreign or domestic. I foolishly attempted to tweak the tip contact inside the jack using an old dentist tool and I somehow managed to tweak it the wrong way. Now it makes zero contact with a plug and the plug just falls out. I've never liked the Switchcraft 151 barrel style jack and I was wondering if it would be heresy to replace it with an open jack mounted on a football or square plate. Has anyone done this? I realize some woodwork is involved.

6 answers to this question

I solved my own problem, at least temporarily. I rummaged through my parts pile and found a barrel jack from an '80s USA Peavey. I swapped out the jack on the Studio and now everything works as it should. We'll see how long it lasts. The original part from Hamer lasted less than 20 years of sitting in a case and very little use. The Peavey part is already about 35 years old and I know the guitar it came out of was never babied. Maybe they really don't make 'em like they used to?

Back in the '70's and '80's, when Peavey was still "Made In the USA", and before they started doing imports, I think they used the same style Switchcraft jack that Hamer did, or one that looked like a dead ringer for it.  Check the Peavey jack to see if it doesn't have 'Switchcraft' marked on it somewhere.

The jack that came out of the Hamer had the extended metal cable clamp with "Switchcraft" stamped on it. It looks like a model 151. The one from the Peavey looks identical except it doesn't have the cable clamp, so there's no place for a "Switchcraft" stamp. It looks more like a nickel plated two-conductor version of a 152.

Archived