Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Collab thing

LucSulla

OK, so a lot of us can record stuff at home clearly.  Given the ease of moving files these days through Google Drive, Drop Box, and what have you, has the idea of doing a collab ever been floated?

Surely if we can get a guitar around the country for six years and then back to the owner, we can move some files around, haha.  

For my part, I think the way it would work is via Garage Band, because it has the built-in function to send someone a project they can then add to.

Thinking about this a little, there's no reason there has to be just one project.

I could see this working where someone lays down a drum track and maybe some chords or a bassline, then others add to it.  There can be complementary parts (like how Hotel California was built, and has something like 30 guitar parts), or it can even be alternate tracks using the same chords, like if someone has a better idea for a bassline.

But each project would have to have one person designated as the Decider, who decides which tracks or which takes are the keepers.

Big potential for hurt feelings. Have to make sure everyone has thick skin and big boy pants on, as I'm envisioning it.

I guess one aspect is: is the goal to end up with a great song at the end (so one person has to be the Decider), or just to have fun sharing ideas (so it can be messy and not all that good, as long as it keeps getting passed around)?

6 hours ago, LucSulla said:

OK, so a lot of us can record stuff at home clearly.  Given the ease of moving files these days through Google Drive, Drop Box, and what have you, has the idea of doing a collab ever been floated?

Surely if we can get a guitar around the country for six years and then back to the owner, we can move some files around, haha.  

Already there. Had several modest collabs with @DBraz thus far. Contributing guest solos on each other's projects. One of which will be dropping soon once it's mixed and mastered.

Gearing up for another song that channels some Alice In Chains/Jerry Cantrell vibes and am thinking of making that a collab. as well. 👍 Anyone know someone who can pull off Lane Staley-esque vocals? :P

I dont think it maytters which DAW you have because what you have to do is bounce the tracks down to mP3 and you can email them to anybody and they can put it right in the DAW 

8 minutes ago, meathead321 said:

I dont think it maytters which DAW you have because what you have to do is bounce the tracks down to mP3 and you can email them to anybody and they can put it right in the DAW 

For enhanced sound/signal quality, save it as a wav. and get a Google Drive or Drop Box account because the file size is likely too big for the limits of most email providers.

yes WAV files sound better thats how i save them but the files are to big to email So we just use MP3 IT works i suppose i could use Drive but i get in to much of a damn hurry 

Some of those guys are good at what they do i can master some things better than some of them though sometimes i just cant get it to sound great no matter what i do weather it be too much bass or whatever so i send them out to have it done  ocasionally 

It doesn’t really matter the quality of the reference track.  It just needs to line up properly at 0, as does the track being contributed. Obviously, the part would need to go back to whoever is mixing the whole thing as a .wav.  Likewise, the DAW wouldn’t matter.  As long as the reference track aligns at 0 with the master and the take being sent back as a .wav, it will work. 

I’m in. 
This is exactly how AC and I collaborate on every album we release. We swap WAV files on dbox and import them into our DAWs.

Easy-Peasy.  They do need to be WAVs if you want  it to sound best across all listening platforms. Dbox and other similar sites make it easy to save and share the files.

Let’s write and record!!!! 

I'd be happy to help out, too but I'll wait for y'all to hear what I did on Best of HFC 4 before I look for a response. :P  

29 minutes ago, scottcald said:

This sounds cool.  I'd be willing to contribute.  @LucSulla You thinking a cover tune or something original?  And as others have said, WAV for your own track starting at zero, but mp3 for a reference is the way to go for ease.  

I'm not sure exactly which direction to go, but a cover or covers might be the easiest way to get the ball rolling. 

Archived