Hamer Fan Club Message Center

What's your fingernails on a chalkboard songs?

mudshark

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • mudshark changed the title to What's your fingernails on a chalkboard songs?

Everything already mentioned makes the list. Also:

Almost all country music from the 80s-90s, but especially the over-produced cookie-cutter "pop" country crap we were inundated with back then.

Jonny Lang is up there for me, too. Talented player. Can't handle the voice and contorted face. Are you passing a kidney stone every time you address the mic?

Can't even begin to list all the 80s pop stuff that I grew up with that makes my skin crawl.

Anything from the R Kelly side of 90s-current R&B. Even if you have a great voice (and aren't a pedophile) that songwriting and production style makes me want to kick you square in the yarbles... if you've got any yarbles, that is.

Almost anything "avant-garde" or "experimental." I'm old-school when it comes to melody. Even some ambient stuff is ludicrous.

+1 on Yoko Ono, and any other so-called "artist" who thinks his/her so-called "music" is so-called "art."  Lou Reed's Metal Machine Music would be considered as another example by some folks, but I happen to think it was an outright con. 

There's many...including some already mentioned...but here's a few that that come to mind quickly...

Eye of the Tiger - Survivor

Tusk - Fleetwood Mac

Come on Eileen - Dexy's Midnight Runners 

Der Kommissar - After the Fire (had to look up the band name for this auditory annoyance)

I absolutely DETEST “We Built This City”.   Possibly the worst song ever recorded.

2 hours ago, cmatthes said:

I absolutely DETEST “We Built This City”.   Possibly the worst song ever recorded.

I had a hard time understanding how the cool group that did White Rabbit and Don't You Want Somebody To Love went on to record that atrocity and other crap.

^^^^Thing about Riperton is she apparently had to go mainsteam to get that umpteen octave voice of hers noticed to any significant degree.  I thought her work with Rotary Connection (especially on Songs) was innovative in its time; they were kinda like the Vanilla Fudge only a little more psychedelic. She was Maya Rudolph's mom, BTW

On 1/1/2021 at 2:19 AM, mudshark said:

I don't like that song but I'm a huge fan of the show Arrested Development so I associate it with something I like. Fans of the show know what I mean.

My nails on a chalkboard? Anything bro-country, Florida Georgia Line, etc.

Not a fan of any "Cookie Monster" vocals that go with many hard rock/metal bands over the last 15-20 years or so. I can totally respect the musicianship and even like many of the songs musically, but when those vocal parts come in I've got to change the station...  Drives me flipping insane!  Slipknot comes to mind immediately, as I have total respect for Corey Taylor and the band (love Stone Sour and his recent solo album) but just can't take those Cookie Monster vocal parts.  YMMV!

Also have to agree with "Bulit This City"...  Didn't like it then, don't like it now.    

2 hours ago, Stike said:

I don't like that song but I'm a huge fan of the show Arrested Development so I associate it with something I like. Fans of the show know what I mean.

My nails on a chalkboard? Anything bro-country, Florida Georgia Line, etc.

alphabet soup.jpg

The Catalogue of Shit

Career Twats

Those who are first against the wall when I’m in charge...

* Coldplay

* Ed Sheeran

* Embrace

* Semisonic

* Nickelback

* Bruce Springsteen

* Florence and the Machine

* Carlos Santana

* Fucking Mumford and fucking sons 

* Hosier

* Lilly Allen

Individual Crowning Turds by people I otherwise love or somewhat like