Hamer Fan Club Message Center

What's your fingernails on a chalkboard songs?

mudshark

1 minute ago, zenmindbeginner said:

Coastal elites seem like rather simple people with complex veneers.

I have no idea what that means but don't get me wrong, I like a LOT of country music, been to Nashville twice and I'm usually non-discriminatory.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, zenmindbeginner said:

Yep. A song about a mother wishing her son would become “simple” is as odious as a song’s message gets.

That said... country culture does indeed value brevity and simplicity... complexity and depth of substance is acceptable as long as it’s wrapped in an outer layer of simplicity.

but then again... Coastal elites seem like rather simple people with complex veneers.

It's not the first song I'd choose to play, but given a vocalist with empathy and heart, I'd give it a go.

"Simple Man" is a common IV-I-II melody, and its lyrics seem simplistic. But the mother's admonition to her son to be "simple" is born from the tenets of all the worlds great moral philosophies: Be clear-eyed about the world, follow your heart, follow your nature to be just, to be good, to be kind, to be loving. Don't be cynical, scheming, calculating, or develop any of the other complex personality traits that lead you to have impaired humanity and cause harm to others. The mother's subtext might be "don't become a miserable unactuated, bitter, selfish man who makes surrounding lives miserable, like I've had to endure." My opinion is informed by knowing women who've worked hard to save their sons from becoming assholes like their fathers or grandfathers.

And as for coastal elites, I think they're more accurately described as simple minds festooned with idées du jour. They imagine their fashionable mental decorations are deep thought.

1 hour ago, Menehune said:

And as for coastal elites, I think they're more accurately described as simple minds festooned with idées du jour. They imagine their fashionable mental decorations are deep thought.

Nailed me, dead to rights. My view of the cement factory here in Oakland makes me feel so superior to all the little people. Why can’t they just be happy for my success?

27 minutes ago, RobB said:

Nailed me, dead to rights. My view of the cement factory here in Oakland makes me feel so superior to all the little people. Why can’t they just be happy for my success?

Are you near Berkeley? It must be artisan cement.

8 hours ago, killerteddybear said:

Are you near Berkeley? It must be artisan cement.

I’ll never tell. My cement factory! MINE!!

Oh, and BTW. It’s referred to as, “artisanal cement.” Don’t feel bad, though. You being an, “inland coastal elite”, and all...how could  have you possibly know that?

11 hours ago, rugby1970 said:

I have no idea what that means but don't get me wrong, I like a LOT of country music, been to Nashville twice and I'm usually non-discriminatory.

Lolz... we don’t have any coastal elites on the HFC. I was speaking generally and not personally by any means. I’m not crazy about the South... I spent the last 31 years in the rural South where there is still a decent amount of agricultural work being done... tractors, combines and a good bit of cattle farming for dairy and the meat industry. Working folks covered in dirt and mud who are physically exhausted after a days work.

I got to know them and their culture quite well... good people with big hearts and strong hands. I came to admire them over the years.

That said, I moved away from all of that and don’t plan on ever coming back if I can help it. lolz I’m a “complex man” and never really fit in with their culture.

Good on you to go to Nashville and see country music in all of it’s glory.

3 hours ago, RobB said:

Good God Oakland is as working class as it gets... not agricultural but industrial. California has lots of working class towns and cities with only a tiny percentage of elites. Cement work (depending upon the position) can be grueling/exhausting labor where you leave your cement encrusted boots at the door and shower immediately upon arrival from a hard day’s work.

NC where I am from has a “coast”... let’s not get too hung up on the word “coastal elite”. Omaha Nebraska has a lot of “elites” and there isn’t a coast anywhere near it.

I didn’t mean to impugn you or anyone who lives on the “coast” as being an elite. Obviously elites are in the 1% income bracket, went to expensive out of state private schools and hold positions of power and prestige.

I just don’t care for “city folk” who look down on country folk... think they are stupid and backwards... this was my only point.

8 hours ago, RobB said:

I’ll never tell. My cement factory! MINE!!

Oh, and BTW. It’s referred to as, “artisanal cement.” Don’t feel bad, though. You being an, “inland coastal elite”, and all...how could you possibly know that?

I am but a pawn in the game of life.

"Inland" ? I'm 12 miles from Cemex in Oakland, mostly along the shore...

5 hours ago, RobB said:

I was be facetious, Maynard. 

Just now, killerteddybear said:

I am but a pawn in the game of life.

"Inland" ? I'm 12 miles from Cemex in Oakland, mostly along the shore...

Oh. Never mind. 

20 hours ago, woodpile said:

Any song with great riffs and really thin lousy guitar tone (Whiskey Train / Procol Harum, Light up or leave me alone / Traffic, You really got me / Kinks, etc.)

I've made references here before to Jimmy Page's history of producing some of the coolest riffs ever using some of the fartiest and weakest sounding guitar tones (of course, he had many great recorded tones, as well).   Pretty sure that puts me in a small minority of fans, but I still spin Zep regularly, and while the riffs and progressions are timeless, some of those guitar tones are still shitty after all these years. 

• 4 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, gtrdaddy said:

Van Halen III.

The entire album.

Aww...  c’mon...  there’s a couple of tracks that aren’t that bad...

1 hour ago, Travis said:

Aww...  c’mon...  there’s a couple of tracks that aren’t that bad...

Man I tried to like that album, but I just couldn’t stand Gary Cherone on it. He didn’t work well with them IMO. For me, it was a hard listen. I LOVE VH. But that one album doesn’t fit in to me.

17 hours ago, gtrdaddy said:

Man I tried to like that album, but I just couldn’t stand Gary Cherone on it. He didn’t work well with them IMO. For me, it was a hard listen. I LOVE VH. But that one album doesn’t fit in to me.

I think that album - Eddie's lead singing aside - sounded like Gary either chose or was instructed to sound like Sammy Hagar.  And to me, the lyrics sound like they were rejected from an Extreme album.  

1 minute ago, scottcald said:

I think that album - Eddie's lead singing aside - sounded like Gary either chose or was instructed to sound like Sammy Hagar.  And to me, the lyrics sound like they were rejected from an Extreme album.  

Agreed. I thought Gary was channeling his best Sammy on that album. And without Sammy or Dave working on the lyrics, I thought the album suffered there as well. 

Just now, Travis said:

Agreed. I thought Gary was channeling his best Sammy on that album. And without Sammy or Dave working on the lyrics, I thought the album suffered there as well. 

And, seemed like they were funneling the music toward a VH with a dash of Extreme sound.  

• 4 weeks later...

Archived