Hamer Fan Club Message Center

I'm back, baby!

Back from the hospital and several days of intensive inpatient rehab.  I've got months of similarly intensive outpatient and in-home rehab ahead of me but am determined to work the fuck out of it.  Very weak left side but improving daily.  Yesterday I snuck a Squier Mustang (very short scale, skinny neck, cheap and easily replaceable if it got swiped) into rehab, fully expecting my heart to be broken when I tried to play it.  What came out was sloppy but sort of recognizable as guitar chords and simple lines.  Compared to the novocain hands I was expecting, I was thrilled.  In fact the tiny neck made things a little "too" crowded.  I may try something more normal today.  But first, back to learning to walk.

YES!!!  That’s great to hear!  Daily improvement, even small improvements, over time will yield massive results in the long term. Keep at it, brother. 

Now THAT'S how you start a new year out! Best f-ing news I likely will hear all day!!

Good on ya!!!

1 hour ago, specialk said:

GREAT goddam news, Tom! Count each victory, and when it's all over you will thank your PT person. Yeah, the same person you silently curse now. 🙂

Hah!  What he sent me home with as a daily routine is much worse that what he did to me in inpatient.  And I was already calling him sadistic ogre then 😄.  Truth to tell, those folks couldn't have been better.

Thanks for all the good wishes, vibes and fucks given. 😉

I thought I'd pass along something that is some great stuff if you're trying to build hand strength. It's far more flexible and adaptable to your needs than a good ol' Gripmaster.  You can just work all sorts of different parts of your hands in different ways and it'll let you know you've had a workout for sure.

It's called Medline Therapy Putty.  It's like very dense Silly Putty and has the same non-Newtonian fluid characteristics.  The sadists at the rehab center sent me back with two little tubs of it, medium and firm and they'll give you some resistance that conforms to your actual anatomy, unlike a Gripmaster.

It comes in "strengths" from X-Soft to XX Firm and is made right here in beautiful Northfield Illinois.  I'd expect that it'd be available in most pharmacies and medical supply stores that specialize in stuff like walkers, elastic resistance bands, etc.  Or you can get it direct here: https://athome.medline.com/en/medline-hand-finger-physical-therapy-putty-shop-all-pf134267?utm_source=medline&utm_medium=shopnow1&utm_campaign=PF134267. 

Really, this is good stuff.  And an excellent value.  If you get some, let me know, I'll copy some exercises and send them to you.

On 1/1/2021 at 5:01 PM, tomteriffic said:

Thanks for all the good wishes, vibes and fucks given. 😉

I thought I'd pass along something that is some great stuff if you're trying to build hand strength. It's far more flexible and adaptable to your needs than a good ol' Gripmaster.  You can just work all sorts of different parts of your hands in different ways and it'll let you know you've had a workout for sure.

It's called Medline Therapy Putty.  It's like very dense Silly Putty and has the same non-Newtonian fluid characteristics.  The sadists at the rehab center sent me back with two little tubs of it, medium and firm and they'll give you some resistance that conforms to your actual anatomy, unlike a Gripmaster.

It comes in "strengths" from X-Soft to XX Firm and is made right here in beautiful Northfield Illinois.  I'd expect that it'd be available in most pharmacies and medical supply stores that specialize in stuff like walkers, elastic resistance bands, etc.  Or you can get it direct here: https://athome.medline.com/en/medline-hand-finger-physical-therapy-putty-shop-all-pf134267?utm_source=medline&utm_medium=shopnow1&utm_campaign=PF134267. 

Really, this is good stuff.  And an excellent value.  If you get some, let me know, I'll copy some exercises and send them to you.

Will definitely be looking into this.  I had trigger finger surgery a couple years ago, and it's been a bit of a struggle to get the full hand strength back.

39 minutes ago, alantig said:

Will definitely be looking into this.  I had trigger finger surgery a couple years ago, and it's been a bit of a struggle to get the full hand strength back.

It really is good stuff and allows you exercise in directions that a Gripmaster just cant.  Also, you can focus on weak/problem areas much more easily.  As mentioned before, I can scan some exercises and send them to you, if desired.  And for very low bucks you can even get different strengths as needed.

Archived