Hamer Fan Club Message Center

The Best of the HFC – Vol 4 is LIVE!

Happy New Year, you filthy animals.

As promised, a (covid) 19 song compilation.  And, because I felt like it, 1 bonus track.  A Vol4 compilation would not have been complete without it.

Click it.  Crank it.

Great work everyone.  Apologies to any who didn't make the deadline.

Enjoy!!

• Like 15
  • Thanks 6

Just did a spot-check of all the songs.

There's some great music, great guitar work, and great vocals going on in these songs.

A lot of these songs are going into my listening rotation.

• Like 6

Good stuff in there, Mike!  Thanks, HFC for participating, and extra points for putting a shirtless Brooks on the cover!  ;)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

I walked out of my house today and was almost immediately approached by a guy on the street... my first though was "Wow - the HFC has a long reach - this guy must want my autograph." but it tuns out he was just looking for his missing cat. But in that brief moment before he asked about his cat I knew what it was to be a Hamer Rock God.

• Like 7
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, Jakeboy said:

Thanks for honchoing this @kizanski, it sure was fun....anyone else think @The Shark’s song sounds like the Beatles?

Wow, thanks for that! It was actually written and recorded in 1981.  We recorded about fifty between 1981 and 1983.  Getting them all transferred to MP3 files now.  Might post a couple others.  Never recorded anything again.  Still play with all the same guys too!

Thanks to Kiz for being so patient.  Wish the fidelity was better...  

• Like 3

Thanks for putting this together Kiz!! Super happy to have been included. Haven't had a chance to check out everyone's songs yet, I will as soon as I can. 

Happy new year folks!! 

• Like 2

Wowzers! (Still) pleasantly surprised at the amount of talent and some of the really pro sounding tracks on this comp. The guitar tones were really good and there were some real strong song writing efforts.

I just wanna know how guitarzandstuff revived Tom Petty to sing on Initial Kick. ;)

Edited by diablo175
  • Like 2

Strong tracks all round - good flow on the running order too. Thanks to Kiz and everyone who organized and contributed to this. I love hearing you guys play but I'm as equally tickled to hear those Hamers in all their sonic diversity. Well done - inspired and inspiring.

• Like 3

I listened to the entire compilation tonight. It's so cool. There's no song I won't listen to again. And I prefer to listen just how Kizanski put it together. The most technically proficient player's offerings aren't necessarily my favorites. But some really are. Talent lurks all around on this one. 

Edited by The Shark
  • Like 3

14 hours ago, LucSulla said:

Thanks for kicking my ass to get on this @kizanski.  It's an honor to contribute to this batch with everyone. 

Right?

I wanted to take several of my 'cobweb' tunes- ones that I've been kicking around for a decade or more- and finally give them a proper production. As it happened, a few weeks before Kiz announced the formation of the Vol 4, I had proposed a much smaller "Homage to Hamer" project with DBraz and Bennyboy. So, I had a bit of a head start on something once the news of Vol 4 broke.

Happy to say that it has prompted a significant outpouring of follow-up projects and even some new writing. The holidays have been quite productive in that sense.

Edited by diablo175
  • Like 4

I know, personally, that not having anyone single out my contribution as complete crap has inspired me to come up with a few more songs.  I've already laid down drum and rhythm guitar tracks on 2 of them, and I think one of them is going to have vocal/lyrics.

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, Nathan of Brainfertilizer Fame said:

I know, personally, that not having anyone single out my contribution as complete crap has inspired me to come up with a few more songs.

Good for you.

And...

No one who contributed a song would ever critique yours, and no one who didn't contribute has a right to.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Nathan of Brainfertilizer Fame said:

I know, personally, that not having anyone single out my contribution as complete crap has inspired me to come up with a few more songs.  I've already laid down drum and rhythm guitar tracks on 2 of them, and I think one of them is going to have vocal/lyrics.

I was digging the tone you were working on your tune- nice growl-y tone. Perfectly suited to the bluesy swagger of your song. Channeled a lil' bit of Joe Perry? 

1 hour ago, kizanski said:

No one who contributed a song would ever critique yours, and no one who didn't contribute has a right to.

Oops. 😆

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, diablo175 said:

I was digging the tone you were working on your tune- nice growl-y tone. Perfectly suited to the bluesy swagger of your song. Channeled a lil' bit of Joe Perry? 

Oops. 😆

Critiquing in a negative context, that is.

• Like 2

I was just joking around with some self-deprecation.

But more seriously, I do welcome both constructive *and* negative criticism on this song. PM me if you feel it impolitic to put it out there in public, but the only way I'm really going to improve is to get some brutal feedback from somewhere.

Flat-out, God's-honest truth, tho: I have nothing negative to say about any of the other tracks. Some might not be my personal taste, but I can tell they were well-written, well-played, well-recorded. I'm working on some specific positive feedback for each track, but it might take me a few days. I don't want to go off just one close listen. I want it to soak in a little.

• Like 2