Hamer Fan Club Message Center

The Best of the HFC – Vol 4 is LIVE!

In a nutshell, (which means I am the nut sometimes)  Mixing is what you are doing in garageband trying to make all the instruments and vocals sound good together.

Mastering is when you try to make the songs on the album sound good together.  For example,  You don't want one song to be quiet and then the next blast out much louder.

I sometimes still use the term mastering a bit wrong.  Habits.  

You can set things up to do some processing on the whole song using what is called the "Master" track.  Look in the tracks menu.

You can put a compressor, limiter, reverb or other effects on that track and it affects the entire song.  It can be very useful to get a better overall sound and balance for the song.

You can also do something similiar after the song is mixed down to the stereo track using an audio editor and those same plug ins like compressor, limiter etc.

Like I said in another thread.  It is another rabbit hole to go down.  But a fun one.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My tune was recorded at Marshall Sound Studios in Marshall NC by myself and the rhythm section from my Floyd tribute band. We tracked live w studios kit and amps ( deluxe reverb ) 

Edited by it's me HHB
  • Like 3

32 minutes ago, it's me HHB said:

My song is about sperm

Aren't the vast majority of songs? I mean, directly or indirectly?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

I wrote and recorded my submission summer 2020 at my cabin with...   

2005 IMac with GarageBand straight into the sound card with TascamPorta Studio 4 tracker as mixer.  All noises real instruments played by me, no punches, with the most valuable piece of gear being my Hamer Duotone p-90 played through an original Line 6 POD...   taking lofi into the 2020s!!!    turn it up!!!  

I love the tracks, great work everyone!!    

• Like 6

3 hours ago, diablo175 said:

Aren't the vast majority of songs? I mean, directly or indirectly?

A seminal observation

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Brooks
Sat, Dec 19, 2020, 8:22 AM
to kiz

Keeping w/ the VOL 4 theme, I recorded this V4 classic live in the jam room this week w/ one of those handheld Tascam things w/ the built in mics. Guitar was my pal Dave's Echotone w/ GFS pups, run thru a Pod Go into the power section of a Quilter 101 feeding a 1x12 Creamback loaded cab. I'm also on vocals, Kolton from Generic Hustle is on bass, with new guy Donovan on drums.

EDIT - We've been getting together for fun a few times a month since October, kicking around some Sabs/Mountain/ZZ Top/Thin Lizzy/Metallica/Rick Springfield, etc

Tascam DR-07X.jpg

Edited by Brooks
  • Like 6

BingBong did a live recording with a limited audience in 2019, both audio and video. It took us a while to finish the recordings. Some friends rent rehearsal warehouse space and they have a collaborative studio. We hired the sound engineer from the studio and brought in a video team. The landlord limited us to 25 guests (he thought we were younger than 50ish?!?!?).

I cowrote Catch My Breath with a bandmate around 1990 and the song was brought back to life with my current band a couple years ago. It's a nice change from our powerpop tempo'd music in a live set and has received nice comments from listeners. I chose this song because it's one where our singer doesn't play guitar... it's all Shishkov 0059 with Charlotte at the bridge. I'm playing through a Carr Hammerhead. The effects are a Barber Half Gainer & Keeley Red Dirt OD, Strymon El Capistan delay, and I hit the Boss Harmonizer set to detune a couple times. Brian's drums are a recovered '64 Rogers kit and Julie is playing a Teye bass through a house bass amp. I don't have info on the mics or recording gear. It was a fun show and we ended up with 9 songs; we're releasing a video here and there via our email & FB page during the live music shutdown (C19). We'll probably do a CD run at some point.  Link to BingBong.

Uief5bh.jpg

0yWskGO.jpg

• Like 5

I don't recall what the recording gear was for my contribution, but the guitar > amp > cab was a Hamer Mirage II > Soldano Avenger > Friedman 1×12 with a Creamback. 

Kiss recorded a song called "Do You Wanna Touch Me Now?" for the Revenge album but never released it, and no one has ever heard it. This version was an attempt by my podcast partners and I to speculate what that song might have sounded like, and what lyrical content it might have had.

The most notable thing about this song for me was my first attempt in 40 years of playing guitar at double tracking a solo. Came out pretty good. Great way to conceal clams!

More than you ever wanted to know about the song here:

• Like 6

On 1/4/2021 at 12:36 PM, kizanski said:

I would encourage those who sent me their tunes to post here any details they would like to share.
I had wanted to include them in footnotes to the appropriate songs, but there isn't a mechanism for that (that I know of) in the playlist we use in WordPress.

1978 Hamer B&C Sunburst into a '64 Pro Reverb.  MXR Distortion + pedal.  The only pic I have is from my seventeenth birthday in 1979.  Recorded the tune in 1981.   

TjFgGHS.jpg

• Like 6

ok...The music to Beautiful Mess was written around 2009 with different lyrics. Then it was called These Are The Good Old Days...when me and my collaborator AC decided to record it for an upcoming 2021 rock album, the lyrics just didn’t fit with the shit show of a year 2020 turned into. So I wrote new lyrics and we recorded the song this Fall.

I used my Hamer Newport through my blonde Bassman with Greenback 10s in the cab for the main rhythm part and for the fills. I changed to the bass channel of the amp for the fills cause it is nasty. AC played the Hamer Special I found in the pawn shop and sent him for the solo through with a tweed Deluxe or his Muleskinner tweed Princeton.
I played my 2-tek Cruisebass with Gravelin Jbass pickups for the bass line direct.
AC played the drums.

I sang lead while he provided BGVs.

We both recorded in Reaper as our DAW with a combination of outboard gear (preamps, compressors, east) as well as plugins. I mixed and mastered this one myself.

It will be on the A.C. Rev 2021 rock album which I hope to have done in the March-April timeframe.

Edited by Jakeboy
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just a heads up: I actually had a rendering error that rendered my drums out of sync on the file I submitted to Kiz - I have since corrected that (and replaced the drums and tweaked the mix further). Anyone who wants a copy of this is free to download here: https://dogsoverlava.bandcamp.com/track/so-the-story-goes I'll keep it free till February. I did give Kiz the tracks as well but I'm not sure if he's doing updates or not.

I also released it last week. Anyway - thanks again for listening - I think you'll see this mix is what it should have been in the first place.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
On 1/2/2021 at 7:54 PM, diablo175 said:

Wowzers! (Still) pleasantly surprised at the amount of talent and some of the really pro sounding tracks on this comp. The guitar tones were really good and there were some real strong song writing efforts.

I just wanna know how guitarzandstuff revived Tom Petty to sing on Initial Kick. ;)

That’s my singer... not me. Funny thing is he’s a bass player by trade. He plays bass in the band Angel... 

• Like 1

• 9 months later...
5 hours ago, draelyc said:

Will there be a vol. 5? 

If the level of interest is there in the forum, I don't see why not.  

Looking for songs from members who have not already contributed.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, kizanski said:

If the level of interest is there in the forum, I don't see why not.  

Looking for songs from members who have not already contributed.  

Fwiw, I’d love to contribute something, and it would be a first time for me here. 👍

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...