Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Hamer Dave

Question

Share your opinion on value. 1978 HAMER Sunburst B&C. Very clean, however has an added mini switch mod added above center pot which was disclosed. Otherwise, all original and in EXCELLENT condition. 
Then... I discovered bridge pup swapped to a Dimarzio Super Distortion. Frets buzz (so many out of level) and will need a leveling at the least. Truss Rod cavity chiseled out some. String alignment is too far to edge, especially on bass side causing fret out by 6th fret on up as neck taper is not nearly as wide as most, measuring 2.15” at last fret. .1-.15(or more) less than others I’ve measured. Enough to easily see there’s not sufficient width for the original Mighty Mite shimmed bridge. Dude also ground down the back of one of the pots trying to remove solder to read it’s date code (just about wearing away the numbers). Also a nut slot was filled. When bringing all this up, he writes it off as typical of an early HAMER!!! Paid a pretty penny on this, and expected NONE of the undisclosed issues. Quite disappointed of my experience with this shop. 
Thinking this as a $1500-$2000, vs $3000 guitar. Like to field your thoughts. 

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

d

image.jpg

2FC2E509-9D8A-4B06-9E46-9A55CE108448.jpeg

8314DE1D-D0FC-4E9A-A1B5-28F1E55212C0.jpeg

8 answers to this question

I'd go closer to $1,250 - $1,500 with those issues.  Sounds like a mess.

Still have the receipt?

Of all the shitty things mentioned, the 'Truss Rod cavity chiseled out some' is the scariest part to me. No thank you.

1 hour ago, murkat said:

agreed. 3k is very steep for your findings.

Yeah. I saw there were several offers, so pulled the trigger on the ask, expecting a prime example that played beautifully out of the case, listed in ‘excellent’ condition.
Oh, and I forgot to also mention... The truss rod is maxed with relief still in the neck. I’ve been cool with this guy, and can’t understand such ignorance. 

Anyone familiar with a Brad Putt(No, not Brad Pitt! I’ve heard of him) with Main Stage Music in Dayton, TN? First time I recall dealing with him. He was cool until he heard the issues I had. Brad’s response is that he admittedly did grind the pot to get to view the pot code, and ‘yes’ that the frets will need some leveling to play decent. 😳. And that the other issues should be expected. 😂😵😤

On 1/3/2021 at 1:18 PM, Ua D said:

If you bought it through Reverb do you have some recourse?

I did ask both partial, and full refund. Seller denied both. With my cc company now. 

Archived