Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Wah Pedal Suggestions

Dutchman

Kirk Hammet has his own signature Cry Baby. And nobody wahs like Kirk...

Actually, I’ve never had a wah on my board so don’t take me seriously. I’m really just dicking around right now...

I've had 'em all. Annnnnnd, the winnah is:

xotic.jpeg

Honorable mentions: 

RMC Joe Walsh. Best Vox-ish pedal I've owned.

Budda Bud-wah. Try to find an original, purple model.

RMC Wizard Wah. Plays well with overdriven amps and humbuckers.

------------------------------------------------------------

You can't go wrong with any of the above. I'd have 4 wahs if I hadn't sold the Budda. Dumb, dumb move...

The Purple Budda Wah is a great way. Don't go down the rabbit hole of the black label or not black label. The true Budda Wahs that Jeff wound the inductors on were if I remember correctly not even labeled Budda's. 

I would stay away from knobs and switches, because at some point you won't be able to stop touching them. LOL Unless one of the dunlops that has the boost button. 

Hendrix Wah

Budda Wah

Bonamassa Wah

and the lone wolf / tone wolf is the Ernie Ball Wah. 

I have a RMC Wheels of Fire...it’s fine but I want a Wilson Grey  Wah.....it supposedly nails the early Page wah sound which is my fave.

In fact, I might post the WOF soon to help  raise funds for the Wilson.

I heard a guy with the original Buddy once and I must say it was the most pleasing wah live that I had ever heard. It was JUST RIGHT.

I bought a Morley, Bad Horsie many years ago based on the recommendation of this board (MC Chris maybe?). I really like the fact that you don’t have to click a switch to turn it on.  It’s a pretty high output wah and adds some drive to a cooking tube amp.

18 hours ago, RobB said:

I've had 'em all. Annnnnnd, the winnah is:

xotic.jpeg

Honorable mentions: 

RMC Joe Walsh. Best Vox-ish pedal I've owned.

Budda Bud-wah. Try to find an original, purple model.

RMC Wizard Wah. Plays well with overdriven amps and humbuckers.

------------------------------------------------------------

You can't go wrong with any of the above. I'd have 4 wahs if I hadn't sold the Budda. Dumb, dumb move...

I just bought Ernie's Xotic Wah and it's great.  Very easy and useful adjustments.

I've also had a couple iterations of the Teese RMC and found them more satisfying to use/hear than Vox or Dunlop.

17 hours ago, bubs_42 said:

The Purple Budda Wah is a great way. Don't go down the rabbit hole of the black label or not black label. The true Budda Wahs that Jeff wound the inductors on were if I remember correctly not even labeled Budda's. 

The later ones (pre-Peavey) were spec'ed by Jeff and manufactured by Dunlop.

I love the Roger Mayer Vision Wah series.   The newest is the Belair Wah.  They are super versatile in terms of tone, they are low profile, and they have a better ergonomic balance than any other wah I have ever tried by leaps and bounds.  Expensive, yes, but sometimes you can get a good used deal.  Roger Mayer Effects are like Hamer Guitars or G&L guitars in the sense that they are great products but they have lower resale value than you might expect.  By the way, you would be super lucky to score the Roger Mayer Vision Wah, Vision Wah Special, or the Belair for the magical $350 price.

For comparison, I have owned Dunlop Jimi Hendrix (my first!), Fulltone Clyde (I installed the Foxrox Wah retrofit), Fulltone Clyde Deluxe, RMC3, and I just tried the Xotic wah for its smaller size.

29 minutes ago, HamerCustomEr said:

Expensive, yes, but sometimes you can get a good used deal. By the way, you would be super lucky to score the Roger Mayer Vision Wah, Vision Wah Special, or the Belair for the magical $350 price.

“Lucky?” More like, “bend ovah, Rover, and let Jimi take ovah!” $350 is just insulting for a wah pedal. 

On 1/3/2021 at 10:09 AM, Disturber said:

Old Colorsounds. Best there is.

We are ride or die Colorsound brothers. I love my Supa Wah.

45 minutes ago, it's me HHB said:

The cheapest cry baby. Hopefully used without the stupid plastic battery door. Seriously don't fall for the bullshit

Seriously tho.

the kind where you gotta take the bottom plate off to get at the battery is a perfectly adequate wah... has the quintessential filter sound.

Thank You All!!! Much to filter thru here!! 
I had a Cry Baby before but I sold it because my legs quit working. I think I’m strong enough to operate one again without falling over. So far the most intriguing is the Xotic Wah for size and adjustability for pressure required to operate. But I’m going to listen to all the video’s on all suggestions!! 
So Thank You All Again!!  

I still have the Cry Baby I bought used in the '70s. It got noisy so I replaced it with a plastic-doored Cry Baby with the 'Q' knob dealie on the side of it. The plastic door is now duct tape and the bottom is zip tied on, but it works just fine. The 'Q' knob is actually useful for changing the sweep frequencies. There's a couple other buttons but I forget what they do. They both have that classic wah (or is it wha?) sound.

On 1/3/2021 at 9:03 AM, bubs_42 said:

I would stay away from knobs and switches, because at some point you won't be able to stop touching them

Shawn is right (oh that hurt) - try out a shitpile of them and keep the simplest one that sounds the best to you.

ETA: And try them all both before AND after a distortion/OD pedal because it makes a huge difference. Some sound like absolute shit depending on where it sits in the path.

On 1/3/2021 at 7:03 AM, bubs_42 said:

I would stay away from knobs and switches, because at some point you won't be able to stop touching them. 

Maybe initially. On the xotic, I set the internal dip switches and the knobs to adjust the Q. Haven’t touched them since. 

Another good one is the basic, Fulltone Clyde. It seems to favor single coils, but is very smooth-sounding with a nice sweep. 

The only wah I’ve ever owned is the Dunlop Cry Baby I bought over the phone from Thoroughbred Music in Tampa in 1986. Get this: I gave them a credit card (mom’s, for college emergencies only) and they shipped it to me at the fraternity house! Amazing! 

It started acting up some time back, but at @cmatthes’ suggestion I installed a new potentiometer and it worked like new. That was around 2010 or so. 

Archived