Hamer Fan Club Message Center

R.I.P. Gerry Marsden (of the Pacemakers)

First thing that came to mind when I heard about this British Invasion icon's passing was his band's musical back-and-forth with Chuck Berry in the T.A.M.I. Show  movie. In tended to be sort of a fathers-and-sons notion and it was memorable and perhaps appropriate.

https://variety.com/2021/music/news/gerry-marsden-dead-dies-frontman-gerry-and-the-pacemakers-1234877910/

Edited by Willie G. Moseley
  • Sad 3
  • Willie G. Moseley changed the title to R.I.P. Gerry Marsden (of the Pacemakers)

RIP Gerry...when it came to Liverpool, it seemed that he was the 'home town boy' even more so than any of The Beatles ever were; especially with his version of this song, which became the anthem of Liverpool F.C.:

On a lighter note, he was also known early on for his unique style of...um, 'wearing' his guitars onstage...BTW, this particular song (written by a guy named Mitch Murray) was first offered to The Beatles, who passed on it to use their own song "Please Please Me" for their second Parlophone single instead:

Edited by crunchee

A  Great loss,I seen him a few times around Anfield on match days he always had time to speak to you, it's sad that due to covid Liverpool play behind closed doors at the moment, but I'm Sure the Kop will pay their respect to him when they return.

• Like 2

And if you ever do make it to Liverpool, and you take the Ferry Cross The Mersey, you will want to stab your eardrums with a sharp instrument as this song plays continuously on the damn boat…

or so I'm told

5 minutes ago, specialk said:

And if you ever do make it to Liverpool, and you take the Ferry Cross The Mersey, you will want to stab your eardrums with a sharp instrument as this song plays continuously on the damn boat…

or so I'm told

I suppose it could be worse......It could be another band from the era,  Freddie and the Dreamers, with an endless loop, in sound and video, of "Do The Freddie."

• Confused 1