Hamer Fan Club Message Center

KISS / 2020 Goodbye on New Year’s Eve Full Concert. Pretty cool virtual concert. Watch it before Gene finds out it's on Utube.

6 hours ago, kizanski said:

Right.  ...and 32 years and I don't know how many farewell tours later....

As a kid, I saw the original WHO “Farewell Tour” in ‘82 with The Clash opening.   They’ve had 4 more that I’m familiar with, and I saw them on at least one of those.   The last time I saw them a few years back here in DC...I regretted going.   I’ve always been a huge fan, but Rog just wasn’t doing it at all, and Pete looked pretty bored.   Oh, and Pino ain’t no Ox.

4 hours ago, cmatthes said:

As a kid, I saw the original WHO “Farewell Tour” in ‘82 with The Clash opening. 

Saw that tour. L.A. Coliseum w/TBone Burnett and the Clash. 10m version of, “Eminence Front”, with copious soloing. Not a great show. Clash were good, if a bit out of their element. 

Saw them ca. ‘80 (LA Sports Arena). I think they were supporting, “The Kids Are Alright”, movie/soundtrack. They had a horn section and did most of, “Quadrophenia.” Killer show. Kenny Jones’ first tour. He played ferociously, really drove the band. I don’t know why he became so complacent on the skins as time wore on. 

6 hours ago, BubbaVO said:

And it’s gone

I ripped it, to watch it later. If anyone wants a copy: inbox me.

I discovered KISS when I was 12 or 13, and they were my heroes for a very long time. We lived in Berlin at this time (1978/1979), and the visual impact came via the LP covers and some magazins („BRAVO“). But you have to keep in mind that there were no chance to see them move/to get moving pics. With three public TV stations (and the SS-sign) there was NO chance.

So the first visual impression of the moving/rocking band was „Attack of the Phantom“. We do not need to discuss the quality of that (though my kids love the movie, which is good, I think). But I will NEVER forget the awe when seeing Paul and Gene moving on stage for the first time (must have been a year after Dynasty came out). I sat in the cinema and was absolutely stunned.  

That said: I saw them three times live since them (1995, 1998 and 2005), and it went down the road since the first time (setlistwise and performancewise). It is sad to see or better hear Pauls voice and mobility going down, but you cant cover EVERTHING with firewors (which was unbelievable). Long time short: they should have called it a day years ago. It will NOT get any better. It comes down to the old question: How do you want to be remebered?

I've seen Kiss several times over the years, the last time being their first 'Farewell Tour' in 2000. For me, it truly was their final farewell tour.

Kiss was one of those bands I had always wanted to see live but never had. Wasn’t a massive fan, but I had the first 3 Alive! albums on CD plus a greatest hits and the Carnival of Souls sessions disc. 

They came through Chicago a couple of years ago for the Chicago Open Air and I wanted to see a few of the other bands on the bill that day. I had said that Kiss was one of the bands I wanted to see before they died. We left about halfway thru their set. It was that bad...  😢

If I remember correctly, Rob Zombie had gone on right before Kiss and the highlight of the entire day was John 5’s solo spot. Man, that guy can play! 

Funny how Judas Priest doesn't have an original member but no one says anything... (maybe the original bassist... not sure).

KiSS is still a great show, but Paul's voice is clearly gone. It was painful. I watched a third and gave up.

43 minutes ago, Armitage said:

Funny how Judas Priest doesn't have an original member but no one says anything... (maybe the original bassist... not sure).

KiSS is still a great show, but Paul's voice is clearly gone. It was painful. I watched a third and gave up.

Ian Hill was a founding member of Judas Priest.  Rob Halford replaced the original singer before the first album came out.  Both are still in the band.  Glenn Tipton is still in the band, but no longer a touring member. 

On 1/6/2021 at 9:28 AM, Travis said:

Kiss was one of those bands I had always wanted to see live but never had. Wasn’t a massive fan, but I had the first 3 Alive! albums on CD plus a greatest hits and the Carnival of Souls sessions disc. 

They came through Chicago a couple of years ago for the Chicago Open Air and I wanted to see a few of the other bands on the bill that day. I had said that Kiss was one of the bands I wanted to see before they died. We left about halfway thru their set. It was that bad...  😢

If I remember correctly, Rob Zombie had gone on right before Kiss and the highlight of the entire day was John 5’s solo spot. Man, that guy can play! 

John 5 has had an interesting career. He's a monster player.

Watching the show now. Gene is spitting a lot. Not blod, but goey. Paul sings better than ever. Is there something going on here? Tommy does a good job. Never seen him live before. Eric Singer is steady. Lots of fire. I like fire. That is cool. But also fire on the video screens. I hate fire on video screens. Not cool. Can't see any audicence. But people are cheering. I guess they are out there somewhere.

Archived