Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Would anyone here have a Chaparral or Californian with boomers? I will pay someone to provide a tracing of them accurately and the placement on the fingerboard

You can use this drawing for reference.

if your Chaparral has dot inlays then you won’t be able to just replace dots with boomers, because boomerangs don’t cover dots. In this case you need to make new fingerboard.

But you always can do crown inlays without of fingerboard replacement.

53452354-5DE1-4A62-B879-C93C3B255BFA.jpeg

12 minutes ago, Sasha said:

You can use this drawing for reference.

if your Chaparral has dot inlays then you won’t be able to just replace dots with boomers, because boomerangs don’t cover dots. In this case you need to make new fingerboard.

But you always can do crown inlays without of fingerboard replacement.

53452354-5DE1-4A62-B879-C93C3B255BFA.jpeg

Thank you so much Sasha. Would it be possible to remove the dots and fill them? Not that I am concerned with too much devaluation, but what does the replacement fingerboard do to the value? Did you do this work yourself? It looks incredible. 

2 minutes ago, 79Sunburst said:

... what does the replacement fingerboard do to the value?

I'd say about as much as adding boomers with filled in dots next to them.

11 minutes ago, 79Sunburst said:

Thank you so much Sasha. Would it be possible to remove the dots and fill them? Not that I am concerned with too much devaluation, but what does the replacement fingerboard do to the value? Did you do this work yourself? It looks incredible.

To be honest I can’t say about devaluation, but I think yes, because it is modification which will affect the price. Anyway I am not going to sell this guitar, because I like it so much.

You can remove dots and fill them, but I think on the rosewood fingerboard it will be obvious that dot was there before.

Another option is crown inlays. They also look cool. Here is photo of Chaparral with crowns on rosewood.

2E2740E8-2C20-408A-AA98-F11814D41871.jpeg

7 minutes ago, kizanski said:

I'd say about as much as adding boomers with filled in dots next to them.

I hear ya. However, I can fill spots on rosewood boards that I would dare you to be able to find  short of  examining it with a magnifying glass. Ebony is even more forgiving. Stew-Mac offer great products for that. 

4 minutes ago, Sasha said:

To be honest I can’t say about devaluation, but I think yes, because it is modification which will affect the price. Anyway I am not going to sell this guitar, because I like it so much.

You can remove dots and fill them, but on the rosewood fingerboard it will be obvious that dot was there before.

Another option is crown inlays. They also look cool. Here is photo of Chaparral with crowns on rosewood.

2E2740E8-2C20-408A-AA98-F11814D41871.jpeg

Thank you. A much easier task and it does look great.

2 minutes ago, 79Sunburst said:

I hear ya. However, I can fill spots on rosewood boards that I would dare you to be able to find  short of  examining it with a magnifying glass. Ebony is even more forgiving. Stew-Mac offer great products for that. 

Modified is modified.
Modified guitars with exemplary work are worth about $4.00 more than modified guitars with crappy work.

Whether I can see it or not is not the question, unless the aim is to misrepresent the instrument, which is another story.

Just now, kizanski said:

Modified is modified.
Modified guitars with exemplary work are worth about $4.00 more than modified guitars with crappy work.

Whether I can see it or not is not the question, unless the aim is to misrepresent the instrument, which is another story.

No, that is not the aim. Like Sasha, I do not ever intend to sell the instrument. However, if something unforeseen made selling necessary, I would inform any prospective buyer. 

Replace the fretboard.  Even if you do an excellent job of matching wood and finishing it to fill the dots it will still be a bunch of filled dots.  Replacing the fretboard would be a more professional way of getting boomers.  It will be more impressive, too. 

1 minute ago, Steve Haynie said:

Replace the fretboard.  Even if you do an excellent job of matching wood and finishing it to fill the dots it will still be a bunch of filled dots.  Replacing the fretboard would be a more professional way of getting boomers.  It will be more impressive, too. 

Yep. I am going with ebony too. Thanks!

14 minutes ago, 79Sunburst said:

No, that is not the aim. Like Sasha, I do not ever intend to sell the instrument. However, if something unforeseen made selling necessary, I would inform any prospective buyer. 

I was just responding to your challenge to detect the inlay fill. 
I guarantee you I'd be able to see it.

3 minutes ago, kizanski said:

I was just responding to your challenge to detect the inlay fill. 
I guarantee you I'd be able to see it.

Well, I am new to the board and I am sure that there are quite a few experts with a  sharp eye so I don't doubt you.  It's always helpful to determine who  the contrarians are. They generally keep everyone else on their toes. 

I think I may know someone with a new fretboard with boomers already in the board.  But I do know Shannon at HEL Guitars can do a refret and replace the dots with boomers.  You may want to call him.  He has done some great work for me and some others here on the HFC.  He is doing some building and custom work for me now.  

38 minutes ago, ptm1diver said:

I think I may know someone with a new fretboard with boomers already in the board.  But I do know Shannon at HEL Guitars can do a refret and replace the dots with boomers.  You may want to call him.  He has done some great work for me and some others here on the HFC.  He is doing some building and custom work for me now.  

This  /\

Archived