Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Concerts you could have attended but didn’t (and wish you had)

Dana_V

1977...Sex Pistols at Cain's Ballroom (of Bob Wills fame) in Tulsa, OK.  I was in High School at the time, and it was only about an hour's drive from me, but I couldn't work up the nerve to even try.  IIRC, I think I read one of the reviews in the Tulsa newspapers afterward, where they noted that the audience was throwing full cans of beer at the Pistols by the end of the concert.  If you can get an Okie (which I am, so I can say it B)) to let loose of a perfectly good full can of beer, that's saying something.  :rolleyes:

https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/cains-ballroom

https://flashbak.com/when-the-sex-pistols-toured-the-usa-and-hit-cains-ballroom-15222/

How about a slight shift... a sporting event that I passed up and shouldn’t have!

Early 90s, I was living in Austin but was doing some video production work in Dallas. A guy I was working with had an extra ticket to the Rangers game that night and offered it to me.

I told him thanks but I was meeting up with some friends I hadn’t seen in a while. Which I did...

When we got to the client’s office the next morning, the guy who offered me the ticket started telling me all about this brawl on the diamond the night before.

Baseball fans will remember the night Robin Ventura charged the mound against Nolan Ryan, only to have the legendary pitcher put him in a headlock and wail on the top of his skull for a while.

I missed arguably the most famous fight in baseball history. 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UzprWwXvEDA

On 1/9/2021 at 10:37 PM, BubbaVO said:

Iron Maiden.  Early 90s.  All I had to do was go to the will call window at the world music theater in tinley park, IL.   A buddy of mine from law school couldn’t make it.  I was tired - lived in oak park.  Visited my folks just south of lake county. I figured I’d catch them eventually.  But I haven’t yet.

Go see em. Seen em 5 times. Young and old. They are like fine wine. You won't be disappointed. 

U2 at Red Rocks summer of 1983, for the "Under a Blood Red Sky" recording and video.  Had several friends attend but I just couldn't be convinced to go for some reason.  One of my old college buddies described it as "magical" and he obviously wasn't kidding.  Still kicking myself for that one to this day...  I did get to see them on the Joshua Tree tour in Denver which was also filmed for the "Rattle & Hum" movie, and while it was a great concert too in '83 they were still up & coming versus being huge by the time Rattle & Hum was filmed.  Plus, can't compare an indoor arena (or basically any other venue in the world) to Red Rocks.  If you haven't had the chance to see a show there, put it on your "bucket list" as there is nothing else quite like it!

On 1/7/2021 at 3:22 PM, Steve Haynie said:

Gator Country did a show around Atlanta.  I think I found out about it after the show.  Had I known I would have been there.  They had more original Molly Hatchet members than the official Molly Hatchet. 

I saw Molly Hatchet once with, I'm pretty sure, no original members. No tickets required, it was at the intersection of Main and Washington at a fall festival.

Out of about a thousand shows within a 500 mile radius, and Steve misses one... At least it was Gator Country! 😂

3 hours ago, DaveH said:

I saw Molly Hatchet once with, I'm pretty sure, no original members. No tickets required, it was at the intersection of Main and Washington at a fall festival.

Out of about a thousand shows within a 500 mile radius, and Steve misses one... At least it was Gator Country! 😂

I did not miss anything.  I was running the PA system for the jazz stage on Coffee Street one block over.  Molly Hatchet was so loud they overwhelmed all the other stages within a block in all directions.  I heard the entire Molly Hatchet show.  Too bad I could not turn down the jazz band in front of me to make Molly Hatchet sound a little more clear. 

I guess there are a few actual regrets. 
Meat Loaf, summer of Bat out of Hell, at the Pinecrest in Shelton. 
U2 at the small Woolsey Hall in New Haven, October tour.
The Stones' secret show at Toad's Place in New Haven. We'd been advised the night before by a promoter acquaintance, to get there early, no further details. Unfortunately we stopped for falafels and ended up being second in line after they stopped letting people in. That one still hurts!

Missing a concert can be a good thing, too.

A good friend of mine lives in Las Vegas and had secured tickets to see Jason Aldean on October 1, 2017 (she loves that Bro County sh..stuff).
She's was very overweight at the time and because of that was having some pretty profound knee pain.  Realizing that she was not going to be able to meander around during the outdoor concert, she made the hard choice to skip the concert.
As the concert was ending, Stephen Paddock "fired more than 1,000 rounds of ammunition from his 32nd floor suites in the Mandalay Bay Hotel, killing 60 people and wounding 411, with the ensuing panic bringing the injury total to 867."  *(wiki)

My friend would have surely been a sitting duck and an easy target. 

So there's that.

I had tickets for when Nine Inch Nails did their (first?) Eurpean tour in 1994. The Self Destruct tour just after the relese of The Downward Spiral. I think Trent O.D'd in Germany or was just severely sick. The Stockholm club gig got cancelled. I still feel the pain of missing out on that gig.

Shortly after appetite came out, Guns and Roses was playing the Paradise in Boston  (club,  maybe 500

capacity, but it  was owned by Don Law, who was pretty much the Bill Graham of Boston)  so they got alot good 

talent on the way up  (Police, Rem, U2, AC-DC).   For some reason I hesitated,  sold out,    might have

been a couple months before they exploded... would have been awesome.     I did get my face ripped off

by Twisted Sister with opener Queensryche there...   

Archived