Hamer Fan Club Message Center

The following artists have ultimately established their own proprietary music genre:

As far as Death Metal goes, there has been many styles and era`s of it and I liked the early stuff. As to who started it, not quite sure, but there is always a consensus and debate that it was either Death or Possessed. I love both band, but only Death`s first 3 albums, after that they got really strange and less thrashy/speed type death metal. 

As for Djent, that makes my skin crawl as much as rap does-yuck!! Can throw all of the cookie mobster death metal singers in there as well.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Be-Bop Deluxe : Inventive themes and stories played out through theatrical musical scenes using composition, musicianship and production values that eclipsed most other art-school-sprung prog rockers. Still iconic. And Bill Nelson is a hellofa melodic guitarist.

Marshal Crenshaw : His debut 1982 album laid bare plaintive schoolboy heartache expressed in upbeat catchy hooks hung on the strings of a reverb'd Strat, basic percussion, and bass. He strongly influenced New Wave with both his songwriting and that trio's sparse, open instrumentation. Although Holly influenced Crenshaw, this wasn't Buddy Holly redux; I hear it as Crenshaw's modern take on the blues' bared emotions.

Van Halen : Yeah, there are hundreds of bands pushing a party-band shtick, but Van Halen came by that identity authentically and honestly. They own that genre. My close second is the first Montrose album, coincidentally featuring the Red Rocker on vocals, and produced by Ted Templeman to give it, like the first Van Halen album, that fiercely live, in-your-face sound.

On 1/8/2021 at 5:33 PM, Willie G. Moseley said:

Rush: "Hard progressive"?

Steely Dan: "Intellectual rock'"? Tears For Fears might also fit into this category but they could be perceived as too, er, emotional...

Mother's Finest: "Power funk" (I've seen this used, as well as "funk rock") Founded in 1972. To what extent have the RHCPs acknowledged any influence?

Johnny A.: Darned if I know what his stuff should be called...(was listening to One November Night earlier today, which inspired this post)

YMMV

Others?

Steely Dan: Ennui Rock

On 1/9/2021 at 1:17 PM, Toadroller said:

I'm not quite sure how to follow the premise of the thread. Doesn't unique = genre of one?

Simply strolling through my own tastes, many of the artists have their own style. 

The Cowboy Junkies have their own thing

Thomas Dolby is unique

There ain't nothing like Queen

Ah... Devo, St. Vincent, Aimee Mann, Janelle Monae, Prince, Rickie Lee Jones, Monk, U2, Robbie Robertson, etc.

There are plenty of bands that can be tossed into genres like Hair Metal (Ratt, Dokken, Motely Crew and all the hangers-on that came in just a minute too late in 87-90)

🤷‍♂️

Came here for Thomas Dolby.

Was not disappointed.

Paul Simon with Graceland?

• 1 month later...

^^^The somewhat primeval video for "Mad At You" (from which the image on my Joe Jackson nomination post is culled) remains a personal favorite on accounta 40 years later it's still cynical and hilarious at the same time. Wonder if he was inspired by Roger Daltrey on the cover of The Who Sell Out...

On 1/16/2021 at 8:20 PM, Menehune said:

My close second is the first Montrose album, coincidentally featuring the Red Rocker on vocals, and produced by Ted Templeman to give it, like the first Van Halen album, that fiercely live, in-your-face sound

Took the words right out of my mouth!

• 3 weeks later...

Whaddabout Klaatu?

The so-called "it's-really-the-Beatles" conspiracy not withstanding, in the mid-'70s Klaatu proffered some very-well-crafted pop songs that delved into subjects beyond teen romance/angst (like the Beatles had done).

And there were unique arrangements and instrumentation as well. Some of the stuff on their sophomore album smacked of Gilbert & Sullivan with rock instruments, for Chrissakes. And FWMOW their music still holds up. YMMV

59 minutes ago, Willie G. Moseley said:

Whaddabout Klaatu?

The so-called "it's-really-the-Beatles" conspiracy not withstanding, in the mid-'70s Klaatu proffered some very-well-crafted pop songs that delved into subjects beyond teen romance/angst (like the Beatles had done).

And there were unique arrangements and instrumentation as well. Some of the stuff on their sophomore album smacked of Gilbert & Sullivan with rock instruments, for Chrissakes. And FWMOW their music still holds up. YMMV

Yes! Klaatu!

The first album is stylistically all over the place, but somehow it fits together. And yes, the subject matter went way beyond typical relationship or party songs: telepathy with aliens, the Beach Pneumatic Transit (I love "Sub Rosa Subway"), and a song told from the perspective of a neutral subatomic particle. Plus a message in Morse code.

The second album, Hope, is a masterpiece (IMHO) and my favorite Klaatu album.

They eventually dropped the mysterious "no names on the packaging" bit, but, like you said, it was still well-crafted pop songs.

Also: I never really believed it was actually the Beatles, but it was fun to, ahem, hope.

Thelonious Monk was mentioned, but he was at the forefront of bebop's creation, even though it took some time for him to get recognized for it.  And no matter what he played, he had has unique sound and approach.  

Somewhat related, there's Bill Frisell.  It's not so much that he has his own genre, but rather that he can delve in any genre or mix a few, and add his own sound and harmonic style.   Much of that can be said about Julian Lage as well.

For someone recent, there's pianist Amaro Freitas. It's jazz but maybe with a math rock element?  Here's a link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmiV_F3q_mg&t=609s

For me it's a much about a band sounding like nothing that has come before it as it is nothing sounding like it since. That gives way to a sound that is instantly recognizable when it's heard. 

In that vein, I agree that Zappa leads the charge here, there literally was nothing like Zappa Music before it or since. A modern band that falls into that category for me is White Denim out of Austin. If you ever get a chance to see them play it's worth the effort. 

On 1/8/2021 at 4:33 PM, Willie G. Moseley said:

Rush: "Hard progressive"?

Steely Dan: "Intellectual rock'"? Tears For Fears might also fit into this category but they could be perceived as too, er, emotional...

Mother's Finest: "Power funk" (I've seen this used, as well as "funk rock") Founded in 1972. To what extent have the RHCPs acknowledged any influence?

Johnny A.: Darned if I know what his stuff should be called...(was listening to One November Night earlier today, which inspired this post)

YMMV

Others?

King's X:  Soul-groove-funk-Beatles-metal 

On 1/19/2021 at 8:56 AM, JGale said:

Came here for Thomas Dolby.

Was not disappointed.

Paul Simon with Graceland?

I second those two emotions.  Although to be fair, Simon (I'm a HUGE fan, btw) tapped into Township music, moreso that creating a whole new genre from scratch, but I think a fair case can be made that in fusing Township with his established brand of folk & folk rock, he did hit on something new.

Whaddabout Traffic, 50 years ago? Interesting original trio lineup, and I hadn't really heard music like that. Abetted by Dave Mason on the second album.

Archived