Hamer Fan Club Message Center

NAD: Mesa Boogie Royal Atlantic RA-100 Combo

This was hanging around the Cherry Hill Sam Ash. Apparently long enough for the price to drop from $1495 to $995.  Originally the plan was to trade in my Marshall TSL122, but that plan went up in smoke, almost literally. Changed the tubes on that, checked the bias, and 3 days later it red plated on me.

So anyway, got to try out this bad boy, and it was love at first AC/DC riff. Like the beginning of Shoot to Thrill. Just that magical crunch and then fade into a harmonic. THAT is the sound I need from an amp. ANY amp. I need an organic overdrive that isn't just in your face gain.  This one looks to have come with a factory mix of the Vintage 30 and Mesa Black Shadow Custom 90. It is a really nice combo honestly. Almost makes me want to take my Maverick 2x12 and Tremoverb 2x12 and swap some speakers, but I'm on the fence. For this combo, it rocks.

It's a really nice setup, and just a great sound. The per -channel power soak really lets you dial in some raunchy sounds, even on the clean channel. REverb is great, 50/100 watts. etc.

Only issue is some tears in the vinyl, which will be glued, and some rust on the transformers. Mesa used bright steel trannies on these, not the usual black oxide coating, so they've got a bit of that going on. I've got some Mar-Hyde on the way to help keep that from ever spreading.  I haven't gotten a chance to look at the tubes in it, but I would guess the stock Mesa tubes. It has the footswitch, and there is a pouch inside the cabinet, but for the life of me there is no way to get it in there easily.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

1 hour ago, BubbaVO said:

That's pretty darn cool. 

What are you getting out of this one that you can't get out of the Maverick?  I found all sorts of tones in that thing.  

The gain structure of the lead channels is definitely more "British".  It's just voiced way differently than the Maverick, which has a more smooth sound to the lead channel. This is pretty much ALL crunchy goodness.  It's just a different type of overdrive texture.

Also it's a bit more punchy, as it's a Class AB amp with EL34s, instead of a class A amp running EL84s.

I'll have to AB them once the I clean up the mess I made taking apart the almost-nuked Marshall.

4 hours ago, bruce919 said:

Congrats , cool score, that is on a list of Mesa I have wanted to try out. 

I will say that I did not have to work with it nearly as much as I did with the Stiletto to get a good sound. It just sounds GOOD.

2 hours ago, tommy p said:

I had a Nomad 2x12 combo and just looking at this gives me a backache.  I ended up putting wheels on mine.  I have to ask - what's it weigh?

Per the Mesa Boogie website, 87lbs. That's probably without the casters on it, which probably adds another few pounds. However the heaviest amp I have, that crown probably still goes to the Mesa Trem-O-Verb.

My marshall TSL122 only weighs in around 70lbs. More when it's almost on fire because the bias is running away.

6 minutes ago, tbonesullivan said:

Per the Mesa Boogie website, 87lbs. That's probably without the casters on it, which probably adds another few pounds. However the heaviest amp I have, that crown probably still goes to the Mesa Trem-O-Verb.

My marshall TSL122 only weighs in around 70lbs. More when it's almost on fire because the bias is running away.

Agreed on the Tremo. I did not learn my lesson on the first one. It was a good day when someone (other than me!) carried it down  the stairs and out the front door. Great sound, esp with a Mesa 2 x 12 closed back added. But what a load that was!

These are really nice amps. I have an ElectraDyne that's like the cheaper little brother to the RA design, if one of these had been local and available I'm sure I'd have snatched it up. But I got the Electra locally for cheap on Craig's List years ago, one set of tubes, some minor tweaking and it's definitely in the Marshall voiced arena. The one draw back of the Electra is the foot switching between channels; it's just goofy and the factory footswitches are not cheap and don't last. And as a 1x12 it's got to be 80+ lbs. w casters, but worth the effort.

Enjoy and congrats!

3 hours ago, Drew816 said:

These are really nice amps. I have an ElectraDyne that's like the cheaper little brother to the RA design, if one of these had been local and available I'm sure I'd have snatched it up. But I got the Electra locally for cheap on Craig's List years ago, one set of tubes, some minor tweaking and it's definitely in the Marshall voiced arena. The one draw back of the Electra is the foot switching between channels; it's just goofy and the factory footswitches are not cheap and don't last. And as a 1x12 it's got to be 80+ lbs. w casters, but worth the effort.

Enjoy and congrats!

The footswitch for the Royal Atlantic is identical, except for the logo.  Yeah, it's a little strange, but it's the same type of setup that my Carvin V3M has, so I am used to it.

If the F/S/ goes I'd just get an aftermarket one.

I love how the Electra Dyne shows that you don't need a million knobs to sound awesome.  It also has a Simul-class 45 / 90 watt power section, unlike the Royal Atlantic, which is just class AB 50/100 watts. That should make it smoother. So while it lost some knobs and doesn't have the multi soak, it's definitely a great amp on its own. I know a lot of people who love theirs, and that they can pretty easily set it up so that they have great tones at the same volume without having to fiddle with lots of knobs.

On the ElectraDyne I do have an after market unit, it took a while to find someone to build me one at the time. Two switches, if you're running in Clean you hit the left switch and go to Dirty. You can then hit the right switch and go to Lead. At this point you HAVE to either disengage Lead dropping you back to Dirty or you enter the "Mesa Maze of Insanity!" With the FS you can't go Lead to Clean directly, on the ElectraDyne. 

NOW would you normally do this? Probably not, but they cheesed out on the design for the sake of costs and kind of made this thing a mess. I have gotten the Electra into some weird loops that I couldn't get out of trying to get this all sorted out again. In Lead hit the right switch and you're in for some fun! On my Mark III Black Dot, I had three footswitches one for each channel; done and no issues. Man I miss that amp. Why did I sell that thing again, arrghh...

But YES, besides this FS goofiness, it is a great amp. Like you said, it teaches you EQ balance and management and is really like every "pre-channel switching amp" I've ever had. The Electra is a 45/90 setup and can run EL34 or 6L6s, I've run both and I have to admit it sounds better with 6L6s. Honestly the Electra is one of the better deals in the Mesa line-up, you can find them used for cheap and they are typical Mesa Monsters and fantastic tone. 

54 minutes ago, Drew816 said:

On the ElectraDyne I do have an after market unit, it took a while to find someone to build me one at the time. Two switches, if you're running in Clean you hit the left switch and go to Dirty. You can then hit the right switch and go to Lead. At this point you HAVE to either disengage Lead dropping you back to Dirty or you enter the "Mesa Maze of Insanity!" With the FS you can't go Lead to Clean directly, on the ElectraDyne. 

NOW would you normally do this? Probably not, but they cheesed out on the design for the sake of costs and kind of made this thing a mess. I have gotten the Electra into some weird loops that I couldn't get out of trying to get this all sorted out again. In Lead hit the right switch and you're in for some fun! On my Mark III Black Dot, I had three footswitches one for each channel; done and no issues. Man I miss that amp. Why did I sell that thing again, arrghh...

But YES, besides this FS goofiness, it is a great amp. Like you said, it teaches you EQ balance and management and is really like every "pre-channel switching amp" I've ever had. The Electra is a 45/90 setup and can run EL34 or 6L6s, I've run both and I have to admit it sounds better with 6L6s. Honestly the Electra is one of the better deals in the Mesa line-up, you can find them used for cheap and they are typical Mesa Monsters and fantastic tone. 

Yeah, there are some serious limitations to using latching switches for the logic. I think they wanted to keep it simple, maybe TOO SIMPLE. It would be nice if there were three LEDS on the FS, one that tells you clean is engaged, and another that tells you which mode is ready to go when you switch to the dirty channels. Then you could hit one or two buttons to go exactly where you want. I think that's how the FS-44 on my V3M works. I can see whether the amp will go to Ch2 or Ch3 when I click the "lead" button".

I haven't investigated how the RA-100 switch works, but I'm pretty sure it's identical to the Electra Dyne.

Of course how this is making me want one, when I've already got a Mark V in the work. Now THAT amp is going to drive me insane.

Yeah, the stereo latching crap was not a good idea. For want of one more output jack the could have seriously improved the overall performance, stability and usability of the series. You just have to work around it, no biggie but you have to pay attention for sure.

Mark V, very nice...

14 minutes ago, Drew816 said:

Yeah, the stereo latching crap was not a good idea. For want of one more output jack the could have seriously improved the overall performance, stability and usability of the series. You just have to work around it, no biggie but you have to pay attention for sure.

Mark V, very nice...

Yeah, three channels, three modes per channel, Graphic EQ with Preset depth, some pull pots.

Then you have three power output options per channel, and also some rectifier choices for channels 1 and 2, a triode option for channel 3.

Oh and the Bold / Spongy variac.  Even before you think about touching any knobs, the possible configurations are mind boggling.

36 minutes ago, tbonesullivan said:

Yeah, three channels, three modes per channel, Graphic EQ with Preset depth, some pull pots.

Then you have three power output options per channel, and also some rectifier choices for channels 1 and 2, a triode option for channel 3.

Oh and the Bold / Spongy variac.  Even before you think about touching any knobs, the possible configurations are mind boggling.

Yes to mind boggling.....With enough complexity that many have just given up before they completely dial it in. Def not a "turn everything to 10 and let it rip" amp.

Try also the Road King with FOUR channels, 3 modes per channel and the ability to choose 50, 100 or 120 watts individually (with different rectifier options and ability to mix/match 6L6 and EL34 power tubes) and the ability to use speakers as A, B or A+B with the ability to automatically switch to a different setup of power/tubes/speakers for each of the 4 channels. Some of the features are now dated, but still a monster.

2 hours ago, django49 said:

Yes to mind boggling.....With enough complexity that many have just given up before they completely dial it in. Def not a "turn everything to 10 and let it rip" amp.

Try also the Road King with FOUR channels, 3 modes per channel and the ability to choose 50, 100 or 120 watts individually (with different rectifier options and ability to mix/match 6L6 and EL34 power tubes) and the ability to use speakers as A, B or A+B with the ability to automatically switch to a different setup of power/tubes/speakers for each of the 4 channels. Some of the features are now dated, but still a monster.

Oh man. I remember looking at the Road King back when they were first making them. So. Many. Options. Even the Roadster, which did away with the "progressive linkage", in favor of the standard 4 tubes with 2 rectifiers, is still a mind boggling beast.

Still, I find the Mark V, which actually only has one pull switch for the mute, to be easier to get my head around than the Mark IV. That has so many pull voicing switches, along with other switches in the back. I would rather just have the more simple "modes". Sure you don't get the same precision, but man, three pull voicing switches on one channel, plus everything else. oof.

Great amp!  Out of the four Mesas I've owned, that's the only one I sometimes wish I had back, and I've had a Mark V and a Mark III Blue stripe with the mod to make the second channel independent.  Even with all that jazz, still liked this one better. 

If I could buy any amp to compliment my Mk IV it would be the RA. Brit flavor, but with the girth of the Electradyne, what’s not to like? I had hoped at one time that the Stiletto Deuce II could become my “Brit amp” but it was seriously lacking in the cahones department. Maybe if I had been in a two guitar band it would have made more sense. 

I don’t know, maybe it’s because I’m in IT, but I’ve never had a problem figuring out the Mk IV and getting a good sound out of one. It’s my favorite of them all, including the Mk V. I love the clean tone of the V and the upgraded Ch2, but Ch3 just doesn’t do it for me for some reason. 

6 hours ago, LucSulla said:

Great amp!  Out of the four Mesas I've owned, that's the only one I sometimes wish I had back, and I've had a Mark V and a Mark III Blue stripe with the mod to make the second channel independent.  Even with all that jazz, still liked this one better. 

I did the same to my Mark III Black Dot, I did the mod myself and had some aftermarket three switch footswitch that made the amp really usable as a true switcher. And yet, I sold it, doh!

• 1 month later...

This made me GAS to get one of these again, which I did.  Still my favorite thing Mesa makes, and for what you can grab heads for, they are a lot of bang for the buck.  They are just so easy to dial in and go.  My only two knock on them is that, while they will do quiet, they really sound their best when they are loud.  They are a really dark amp until you open them up a bit, and then they are just rock 'n' roll machines.  

I was afraid it was going to make me dump the Friedman - why keep something that is three times the price?  However, I find they are very different despite being "British" voiced amps.  Mesa's have that lower mid-range kinda, well, boogie to them.  It's more Marshall than a Rectifier or Mark, but it's still very Mesa. 

Dave's stuff just sounds great.  For the most part, they really do sound like a badass, modded Marshall. I still don't know if I like the Small Box more than the BE-50, but I doubt I'll ever have an SB in the room again at the same time to compare. I've also learned my lesson on rolling amps based on what you think you remember.  

I'm getting far too into amps, lol.  I think I am finding I have more fun having just the right amp for my mood than having just the right guitar.   I've always been kind binge and purge with guitars and not all that much in collecting anything I don't gig with too.  I can actually see hanging on to my amps just because some days the Splawn does it for me, other days the Budda (which Jeff currently has) or Friedman might.

1 hour ago, LucSulla said:

I'm getting far too into amps, lol.  I think I am finding I have more fun having just the right amp for my mood than having just the right guitar.   I've always been kind binge and purge with guitars and not all that much in collecting anything I don't gig with too.  I can actually see hanging on to my amps just because some days the Splawn does it for me, other days the Budda (which Jeff currently has) or Friedman might.

I go in cycles with guitars and amplifiers. Right now I'm stuck in a Van Halen Riff phase, using a Carvin Legacy Drive pedal into the effects loop of a Carvin V3m. It's a really smooth lead tone that's perfect for "brown sound" type stuff with my Steve Morse. I've gotta clean out the music area though for new shelving, so who knows what I will decide to use next.

On 1/11/2021 at 4:38 PM, tbonesullivan said:

This was hanging around the Cherry Hill Sam Ash. Apparently long enough for the price to drop from $1495 to $995.  Originally the plan was to trade in my Marshall TSL122, but that plan went up in smoke, almost literally. Changed the tubes on that, checked the bias, and 3 days later it red plated on me.

So anyway, got to try out this bad boy, and it was love at first AC/DC riff. Like the beginning of Shoot to Thrill. Just that magical crunch and then fade into a harmonic. THAT is the sound I need from an amp. ANY amp. I need an organic overdrive that isn't just in your face gain.  This one looks to have come with a factory mix of the Vintage 30 and Mesa Black Shadow Custom 90. It is a really nice combo honestly. Almost makes me want to take my Maverick 2x12 and Tremoverb 2x12 and swap some speakers, but I'm on the fence. For this combo, it rocks.

It's a really nice setup, and just a great sound. The per -channel power soak really lets you dial in some raunchy sounds, even on the clean channel. REverb is great, 50/100 watts. etc.

Only issue is some tears in the vinyl, which will be glued, and some rust on the transformers. Mesa used bright steel trannies on these, not the usual black oxide coating, so they've got a bit of that going on. I've got some Mar-Hyde on the way to help keep that from ever spreading.  I haven't gotten a chance to look at the tubes in it, but I would guess the stock Mesa tubes. It has the footswitch, and there is a pouch inside the cabinet, but for the life of me there is no way to get it in there easily.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Have the same amp. Great amp. Very punchy, and very easy to find good tone without needing an engineering degree. 

There are 10 screws on the lower back panel.  Unscrew them, pull out the panel, and you will have access to the tubes. The pouch on the left is for the footswitch storage (stupid location) and the leather bag on the bottom is the reverb tank. 

The other nice thing about these amps is the bias switching for 6l6 to el34 power tubes if you want to switch. Mine came with 6l6 ( previous owner swap) and I wanted to hear el34 in this guy, so I swapped them out and flipped the bias switch.  I prefer the 3L34s for the dirty channels in this particular amp. They designed the amp for EL34s hence the royal atlantic British motif.  The low gain is crunch city and the hi gain has some really great tone and articulation even cranked up. 

Also, are you enjoying how spanky and clean the clean channel is ? Dial the gain up past 12 to like 3 pm and even the clean channel has dirt! Lol Mesa really did a great job on the ED / RA amps. 

PS there is a hidden reverb footswitch jack that you will see underneath where the tubes are in case you want to be able to put a footswitch on your reverb. 

20210113_211151_resize_6.jpg

13 hours ago, Cuda75 said:

The other nice thing about these amps is the bias switching for 6l6 to el34 power tubes if you want to switch. Mine came with 6l6 ( previous owner swap) and I wanted to hear el34 in this guy, so I swapped them out and flipped the bias switch.  I prefer the 3L34s for the dirty channels in this particular amp. They designed the amp for EL34s hence the royal atlantic British motif.  The low gain is crunch city and the hi gain has some really great tone and articulation even cranked up. 

Also, are you enjoying how spanky and clean the clean channel is ? Dial the gain up past 12 to like 3 pm and even the clean channel has dirt! Lol Mesa really did a great job on the ED / RA amps. 

That DAMNED FOOTSWITCH POUCH. We sat there in the store trying to figure out how to get it into the pouch without destroying speakers, tubes, or both. Yes, they usually are in that location, but that's when you have an OPEN BACK cabinet, not the "mostly closed" back of the RA.

I do have a set of Mesa 6L6 tubes lying around, so I did try them out, and really didn't like the result. It sounds so good with the EL34s. Also Rivera had a whole series of amps using EL34 power tubes that got great fender style cleans, so the idea that EL34s can't sparkle isn't true. The clean channel on the Stiletto is also amazing.

I've gotta break out the RA again. Right now I'm blowing things up with my Tremoverb.

Agree re EL34s. Its all about the design of the circuits. I will admit, it was a little "glassier" with the 6L6s in clean mode, but the 6L6's distortion tone *IN THIS AMP* (umbrella up lol) was not as good. That has everything to do with how Mesa designed the circuits. I personally love this amp because I have nice chime-y punchy cleans, and then marshall-esque crunch on low gain with the pretty substantial lead gain that gets you into "good metal" territory. (umbrella up again) LOL 

2 hours ago, Cuda75 said:

Agree re EL34s. Its all about the design of the circuits. I will admit, it was a little "glassier" with the 6L6s in clean mode, but the 6L6's distortion tone *IN THIS AMP* (umbrella up lol) was not as good. That has everything to do with how Mesa designed the circuits. I personally love this amp because I have nice chime-y punchy cleans, and then marshall-esque crunch on low gain with the pretty substantial lead gain that gets you into "good metal" territory. (umbrella up again) LOL 

This am will more than likely be used in a stoner metal band I'm trying to get going.  The Freidman is going to stick back in the more classic rock band, all though they both do either just fine.   

I've always liked EL34s in Mesas.  That's what I ran in my Mark V.  I guess I just like the EL34 sleaze more than the glassy thing 6L6s do. 

Archived