Hamer Fan Club Message Center

How would you descr Be the sound of a 1st gen hamer cruisebass?

Sugar

Woody?  Gibsonesque? 

The Cruisebass has the tone of mahogany.  They can cover the same sonic ground as a P-Bass with just a little difference.  There may be more difference in the way the bass feels while you are playing than a difference in the sound. 

The body of the Cruisebass does not have the mass of a Thunderbird, nor the thickness down the center of the body.  They do not sound the same. 

2 hours ago, Steve Haynie said:

Woody?  Gibsonesque? 

The Cruisebass has the tone of mahogany.  They can cover the same sonic ground as a P-Bass with just a little difference.  There may be more difference in the way the bass feels while you are playing than a difference in the sound. 

The body of the Cruisebass does not have the mass of a Thunderbird, nor the thickness down the center of the body.  They do not sound the same. 

Does this catch the vibe?

that clip sounds pretty much like what i like about the gen 1 tone; it has a little more meat or thump behind the note from the mahogany.  the 'regurgitated dandelion' gen 1 cruise bass I sold sounded fatter like that clip, and I recently sold off an '85ish gen1 in black that sounded good but not quite as fat (I think Hamer switched from mahogany necks on the original ones to maple necks on the later gen 1 cruises).  The blitz bass I kept sounds fatter like the early gen 1 cruise basses, and I'm pretty sure the blitz has a mahogany neck.  I've never played a T-bird so I have no basis to compare.

had one. Can't remember the tone but I could set the action on it as low as any shredder guitar and no fret buzz. Easiest playing bass I ever saw. Gave it to my middle sons wife as they had a band and she needed a bass. Gave my son a 1993 hamer archtop gt for the band too. Band didn't work out and they got divorced, and me out 2 damn fine guitars.

Archived